VPN for M3U recordings only

dcol

Is there a way to setup a VPN, like IPvanish, only for the LiveTV recordings? I do not want to change my remote Emby access IP/URL.

In short, I want to use VPN for streams coming in (recording), but not going out (Remote viewing).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi, there is no way to configure a VPN inside of Emby Server, so you would have to be able to set it up externally somehow.

Ok, has anyone here done that? I did see something about using xTeVe with buffering and VPN split tunneling. Has anyone been successful using that method?

Hi, this can be done but would require your provider to have a fixed IP that doesn't change.

What you would do is run a VPN client and then change the default gateway back to normal pre-VPN gateway settings.

You then setup routes for the Service provider IPs with a route going through the VPN connection.  On windows you would use the "route" commands to manipulate your routing stack.

It's not for the faint of heart as you would need to understand this and can't just have someone else configure it for you as you would likely have to change it semi-often as your provider changes IPs.

A much easier approach is to setup a middle ware program such as xTeVe or NextPVR and funnel all streams through it.  Then you would use your VPN's split tunnel feature and set ONLY xTeVe or NextPVR to run through the VPN.  This approach is pretty simple to use and manage but requires a middleware app.

Yes I think the xTeVe approach is the best option since that is what I use now along with NextPVR. But I am a little weary of the buffering with xTeVe which hasn't worked all that well in the past for me. But I will give it another go since lots have changed since I tried the buffering. I would like to hear about others experiences with xTeVe buffering

Spaceboy

yeah i have xteve running in a VM in Hyper V with my VPN running full time and xteve buffering just 1Mb of data, no real delay. cost me £5 for the windows VM licence. works well

canada99
2 hours ago, dcol said:

I will set that up tomorrow. Thanks

What vpn do you use currently ? I can remote into your pc and set this up for you simple if you want.

Xteve is good for messing around but you will in the end just pound your head off a wall once the laggg starts.

Edited by canada99

I use IPVanish, but just realized they do not do split tunneling in the Windows app. So I will either need to find another VPN or use a dedicated system or VM like @Spaceboymentioned

canada99

There is a bunch of ways to do what you want bro, simple way is just use free open source stuff that just works. Do you have a device you don't use for anything that you can install linux on ? Just install a free vpn like proton on a puter with tvheadend on it.

Edited by canada99

canada99
35 minutes ago, dcol said:

Don,t have enough linux knowledge or feel comfortable using it. Past attempts have been a disaster

Phpmyadmin ? just host your m3u file as a live text then run it through emby ? host the m3u file from an ftp server ? Nordvpn now has a working split tunnel the last update fixed it, just make sure you have settings correct. Lots of ways to do what your wanting to do.

embypic.jpg

Edited by canada99

No need for linux to use Proton as it can be used from windows.  But I'd not use the free version as it's kind of slow especially if you're using multiple streams.

This also doesn't have split tunnel ability so you would need to run it on a separate machine (physical or virtual).

A simple solution would be to use PIA VPN which likely has servers near by and much faster which is important.  It can do split tunneling so everything can run on the same machine. Simple point and click UI as well.

Spaceboy
8 hours ago, canada99 said:

What vpn do you use currently ? I can remote into your pc and set this up for you simple if you want.

Xteve is good for messing around but you will in the end just pound your head off a wall once the laggg starts.

No lag for me

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

No lag for me

Not that I've seen either.  I'd think this is more about the VPN used then xTeVe itself.

After switching to xTeVe buffering and a VPN, 8 out of 10 shows recorded failed within 10 minutes of recording last night. I am using IPVanish and the best server which is relatively close to me.

What is the best buffering method in xTeVe, (xTeVe, ffmpeg, or VLC)? I used xTeVe for the test last night. By the way I also duplicated the recordings on NextPVR, without VPN and with no buffering, and every show recorded perfectly. Next test is NextPVR with buffering and no VPN.

Edited by dcol

It won't use VPN if I do not buffer. I have xTeVe running on a separate computer that uses VPN. NextPVR uses xTeVe from a non VPN computer without buffering and and it worked fine. Emby worked fine the previous day without VPN or buffering. I have no way to test VPN without buffering with my current setup. I would have to run VPN on the Emby computer, then my remote users will not work.

What I could do is get a dedicated VPN IP, then use that IP for my remote connections. PIA offers that, issue is the closest dedicated IP is 500 miles away. PIA is not known as the fastest VPN according to reviews. NordVPN is faster which also has dedicated IP's

Edited by dcol

Is this a recent version of xTeVe which forces all content to flow through it buffered or not?

2.1.2. Did not know that non buffered would still pass through xTeVe. Does that mean that if xTeVe is running on a VPN computer it is using VPN for the streams when not buffering?

The easy way to tell this is load the m3u file from xTeVe in a browser and look at the individual streams.

http://127.0.0.1:34400/m3u/xteve.m3u  (change IP and port to match your setup)

If these streams point to your service provider it's obviously not going through the xTeVe server and it's an older version.
If the stream is pointing at the xTeVe server then it's going to go through your xTeVe app and will use whatever routing is setup on that computer running xTeVe.