DVR Recording in progress freezes while watching and using live seeking

MBSki

MBSki

I was watching TV today while recording the same show, and about an hour in the video just froze. I'd just get a spinning circle as if it was buffering. When I looked at task manager on Windows it looked like several transcodes had been spawned for some reason. Once the recording ended, the video was fine and I could even go straight to my pause point. This seems to be an issue only with watching a recording in progress.

@ebr I sent logs from the app. Any idea what the issue is? App or server related? I have the server transcode logs that I can send too if needed.

MBSki

This happened again when watching the Super Bowl. I tried killing the transcode, but I still couldn't get back in to watch the game.  

Honestly I don't know what causes this but you're not the first to report this.  This is one of those things that the new Live TV (in dev) should handle better since it uses a different pipeline or way to process Live TV streams.

I can't see your app log but if you want to PM me your server log and ffmpeg logs from this time period I can take at look at them.

By any chance did you exit the app, force close it and then try again or try it from a different app?  I know this is doubtful during the SB but just asking.
Hopefully this happened during the 2nd half when the game was already in the bag for Brady and company. :)

MBSki
55 minutes ago, cayars said:

Honestly I don't know what causes this but you're not the first to report this.  This is one of those things that the new Live TV (in dev) should handle better since it uses a different pipeline or way to process Live TV streams.

Good to know, thanks. Is it in the current beta?

I can't see your app log but if you want to PM me your server log and ffmpeg logs from this time period I can take at look at them.

Ok, I'll PM some server transcode logs.

57 minutes ago, cayars said:

By any chance did you exit the app, force close it and then try again or try it from a different app?  I know this is doubtful during the SB but just asking.

I couldn't get it restarted anywhere. I even stopped the transcodes and started on another client, but nothing worked. I had to wait until the recording was done before I could view it again. Once the recording was complete, I could see that the recording was fine, so really strange that I couldn't get back to it at all.

I recorded on TiVo just to be safe. Disappointing cause I was hoping to unplug my TiVo. Can't do that until this issue is worked out.

Hopefully this happened during the 2nd half when the game was already in the bag for Brady and company. :)

Hey, I didn't finish watching it yet! LOL I do know they won though. 😅

1 hour ago, mbarylski said:

so really strange that I couldn't get back to it at all.

Was it perhaps because all your tuners were tied up due to one maybe being stranded by the previous failure?

MBSki
14 minutes ago, ebr said:

Was it perhaps because all your tuners were tied up due to one maybe being stranded by the previous failure?

Hmmm, I didn't check my tuners, but since I killed the transcode I would think it would let go of the tuner. I'll see if I can reproduce and check the tuners if it freezes this time.

MBSki

@ebr It took me 2 hours, but I finally broke it. No, there was only 1 tuner in use the whole time and it didn't change once it stopped and wouldn't let me go back. Same tuner was reserved for that stream the entire time. 

@cayars I have more logs from this latest issue. I'll PM them to you. 

And you said the recoding looks fine after the fact correct?

So that would show the tuner was actually in use the whole time doing the recording.

MBSki
1 hour ago, cayars said:

And you said the recoding looks fine after the fact correct?

So that would show the tuner was actually in use the whole time doing the recording.

Yes, after the recording is done, the final video file looks fine. 

Agreed that the tuner remains in use by the recording, but it's not available for viewing at some point during the playback.  

In your latest ffmpeg logs I do see this:

14:19:50.682 [mpeg2video @ 0000024bce5f85c0] Invalid frame dimensions 0x0.
    Last message repeated 7 times
14:19:50.693 [mpegts @ 0000024bce5f0800] Could not find codec parameters for stream 3 (Unknown: none ([5][0][0][0] / 0x0005)): unknown codec
Consider increasing the value for the 'analyzeduration' and 'probesize' options
14:19:50.694 [mpegts @ 0000024bce5f0800] Could not find codec parameters for stream 4 (Unknown: none ([5][0][0][0] / 0x0005)): unknown codec
Consider increasing the value for the 'analyzeduration' and 'probesize' options
14:19:50.695 http://127.0.0.1:8096/LiveTv/LiveRecordings/fb5f89cd1fa147989b5941bb838ff7ab/stream: could not seek to position 24085.740
14:19:50.695 Input #0, mpegts, from 'http://127.0.0.1:8096/LiveTv/LiveRecordings/fb5f89cd1fa147989b5941bb838ff7ab/stream':

From my best hunch I'd think something in the stream causes a glitch when transcoding this in real-time as it's showing a seek position error.
I've had this happen to my own server as well and have never figured it out.

I do know I've seen this happen in football games when recording multiple and trying to flip back and forth between a couple recordings to skip commercials, half times, etc. With sporting matches like football they are often twice as long as movies making it more apt to happen IMHO.

I think (not sure) I've noticed this with mpeg2 streams and not with AVC streams (cable HD channels).

MBSki
7 hours ago, cayars said:

In your latest ffmpeg logs I do see this:

14:19:50.682 [mpeg2video @ 0000024bce5f85c0] Invalid frame dimensions 0x0.

From my best hunch I'd think something in the stream causes a glitch when transcoding this in real-time as it's showing a seek position error.
I've had this happen to my own server as well and have never figured it out.

I do know I've seen this happen in football games when recording multiple and trying to flip back and forth between a couple recordings to skip commercials, half times, etc. With sporting matches like football they are often twice as long as movies making it more apt to happen IMHO.

I think (not sure) I've noticed this with mpeg2 streams and not with AVC streams (cable HD channels).

Thanks, yes, it mainly happens when I'm watching football and skipping 30 seconds between each play. But, in the last one I was able to get it to break while watching a movie and just repeatedly skipping forward and back. That's not a normal situation though.

It seems that you've at least identified that there is a seek position error. At a minimum, there should be error handling to delete the bad seek position and move on from the last good seek position. Can the devs take a look a this to see if it could be fixed in the new Live TV update? 

If it is this type of problem it's not easy to fix on the fly compared to playing back off disc when you can seek ahead in files.
The good news is that the new version in development does Live TV differently and more direct so it has better control over streams. That will make any issue like this easier to identify and potentially fix as well.

MBSki
39 minutes ago, cayars said:

If it is this type of problem it's not easy to fix on the fly compared to playing back off disc when you can seek ahead in files.
The good news is that the new version in development does Live TV differently and more direct so it has better control over streams. That will make any issue like this easier to identify and potentially fix as well.

Ok, so there might not be a fix when the update is first released, but after it is we can test it out and track down the issue?

Is the Live TV update in beta now? I could put the beta on my Shield TV and test it out.

It's likely this problem won't exist in the new version simply because there is a very different pipeline being used.  It's far more optimized and many things are done internally now vs leaning on ffmpeg during recording for example.  This gives us more control over the streams.

No, it's still in development.

MBSki
16 minutes ago, cayars said:

It's likely this problem won't exist in the new version simply because there is a very different pipeline being used.  It's far more optimized and many things are done internally now vs leaning on ffmpeg during recording for example.  This gives us more control over the streams.

Great, to hear, thanks!

16 minutes ago, cayars said:

No, it's still in development.

Bummer. Look forward to testing it out. If it works I can unplug my TiVo. 😁