Question about when multiple users view the same channel

SJBart

Hey everyone,

Apologies if this has been answered in the forum already I wasn't able to find it by searching.

I am using the m3u tuner with xteve for channel management (not using their stream buffer, it just gives the stream url to Emby). When 3 people view the same channel, does the server create 3 connections to the stream url? Or just one connection to the stream url? If it creates 3 is there anyway to make it create only 1? From my testing while monitoring the bandwidth in real-time it looks like it only creates 1 but I just wanted to ask to find out what it actually does. Any suggestions are helpful, I'm happy to go investigate a topic further once I've been pointed in the right direction.

Thank you for your time.

Ronstang

I know that Emby can share tuners with my cable TV tuner card so if 4 TVs are watching the same channel then only 1 tuner is used.  I don't know how it handles IPTV and streaming tuners but something tells me it should work the same with each device having it's own buffer for pausing etc......now, I can't confirm this but from your description that sounds like what is happening.

It depends on the type of stream. If the stream is mpegts, then generally only one connection is used. If it's HLS or other formats, then it generally will be one for each.

• Like 1