Channels dvr integration

all4dom
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

all4dom

I downloaded the channels dvr on my emby server. I have spectrum so I was able to log in with my credentials. I was trying to select m3u as a source but I'm lost after that.

OK lets do a quick test.  In a web browser enter

http://yourserverip:8089/devices/ANY/channels.m3u?format=ts

Do you get a list of channels back?

Another link you can use is to add a FAVORITE FILTER to the above

http://yourserverip:8089/devices/ANY/channels.m3u?format=ts&filter=favorites

This would allow you to mark only channels you want to export from CDVR as favorites.  This is a great way to get rid of home shopping network type channels or others you don't want in Emby.

Edited by cayars

Next try this in a web browser

http://yourserverip:8089/devices/ANY/guide/xmltv?duration=1209600

Do you get a whole lot of information about movies and shows coming back?

all4dom

& yes to the second one. My browser got filled with a ton of data about channels, etc. It was hugh. 

What does all this mean.

OK that was just confirmation that the 1st link (channel playlist) and 2nd link (guide data) are functioning correctly.

Now what you want to do is follow our basic setup guide https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001160415-live-tv-setup

Choose M3U for your tuner and use the 1st link.
Setup your guide to use XML and use the 2nd link.

After you're done with the setup let the guide fully load and then let us know how things work or if you need additional assistance or have questions.

Carlo

Use the two above as tested using your own IP address or 127.0.0.1 if CDVR is on the same machine.

all4dom

ok carlo thank you. I have some channels up, but im not getting my local network channels. Im only getting a small streaming package from spectrum for mostly the network channels. I am not going through the channels dvr section as i see i can enable networks anywhere. Im going to continue to learn this & will update. Thank you very much for your help & being patient with me. Thanks again. 

I don't have CDVR in front of me but in the BETA they have support for some local channels (not all) but you may get ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX this way.  You have to enable it.

If you're not already running their beta you can click/hold the check for update button and that will check for beta versions.

With that said if you really want locals and lots of them you want to add https://www.locast.org/ to CDVR (which will funnel right through to Emby) but that will cost you $5/month "donation" fee.

TVEverywhere is mostly all the national network channels (but you may get a few locals)
Locast is all your local channels
Together it's a lot of channels

Edited by cayars
  • Like 1

all4dom

Ok @cayarsgot it running. Thank you again. Real nice to have tv in emby.  just 2 questions.....

Am i using emby dvr if I record a show? Or do I need to add channels dvr?

I looked up Pluto tv & through a discussion on the channels forum, i was able to add Pluto tv as a source & ads the guide data.  How would i ads that to emby. I know from reading the other discussion there is an issue with ffmpeg so directly using that m3u on emby has issues.

Thank you again

Dominick

You can record with either. I generally record with Channels DVR if that is my source and then run the recording through MCEBuddy dropping it into the same folder that Emby recordings get dumped into by MCEBuddy. In either case I convert to HEVC after stripping commercials.

If you don't want to use MCEBuddy you can record with Channels DVR and point Emby to those recordings in the Library or you can record with Emby. I haven't noticed much of a difference at all in PQ so you can record with either one you want.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, all4dom said:

Ok @cayarsgot it running. Thank you again. Real nice to have tv in emby.  just 2 questions.....

Am i using emby dvr if I record a show? Or do I need to add channels dvr?

I looked up Pluto tv & through a discussion on the channels forum, i was able to add Pluto tv as a source & ads the guide data.  How would i ads that to emby. I know from reading the other discussion there is an issue with ffmpeg so directly using that m3u on emby has issues.

Thank you again

Dominick

I prefer to do my recordings in Emby.  Basically after Channels DVR is setup it's used only as a tuner and you basically forget about it.  Others like Sammy will still use CDVR.

It's personal so try it first with Emby and if you don't have any issues then you're gold.

PlutoTV isn't worth fooling around with.  Anyone who's tried it has issue or just doesn't care for it.  But you can search for it here in the forum and find instructions for trying it.  I'd find you a link for it but I'd suggest using just CDVR/Emby for a good week before introducing yet more into the Live TV/DVR pipeline.  Sort of following the golden computer rule of make one change at a time. 

all4dom

I did did.figure it how to setup pluto & with doing it through the docker. From what I read there does appear to be issues with pluto. I'm only liking a few channels from it so thinking it's not worth it. I know you mentioned there is a big live tv update coming, will that include the ability to hide channels.

Overall liking having live tv & will tinker more. I have a month with channels for free to see if I'm going to keep it but probably will.

Thank you again for your help carlo.

• Like 1

Yes it will.

BTW, any channels you feed Emby via CDVR can be hidden.  You can do this inside CDVR.
Then just refresh the tuner in Emby (open and save it), followed by a guide refresh.

• Like 1

all4dom

@cayars so i have played around with emby live tv & cdvr. I like it. Today I am going to test out emby dvr & see how it works,. I use playon to record, but quality is only 720p & it only records when the shopws appear in the on demand folder, which sucks.  My only issue when I edit the channels that I dont want in pluto on cdvr, they still appear in emby guide. No issue with spectrum, that works great & picture quality is really good. I have not found a way to edit channels in emby so im assuming thats not an option at the moment. Is it possible to change the icon for live tv since it doesnt match the dynamic icons for movies, tv, etc: 

Only other thing i notice is when going into live tv, it takes a few seconds. My emby server is strictly for emby & all my tv's are connected via ethernet \, so not sure if I could do anything for that. AAgain thanks for helping me.

Dom

In CDVR you should be able to deselect channels or unfavorite them which removes them from the m3u list.  

I don't have a current subscription since I've got no personal need but if you can't figure it out (unless they changed it) I could remote in and help you with this pretty quickly.  Another option is once you're done adding and playing around and ready for it to be permanent is to grab the m3u list and just save it to a file.  Remove the channels you don't want and then just point Emby to the m3u file. <-- This will always work.

38 minutes ago, all4dom said:

I have not found a way to edit channels in emby so im assuming thats not an option at the moment.

Not sure I follow this.  Can you upload a pic or two and show us what you're referring to?

all4dom

Ok we can do the remote if u can give me a few min. I use a docker for the pluto.m3u because has to do with giving me my own stream instead of everyone using the same. I dont know how to explain it but it works. 

Another thing, am I transcoding tv since its hls? I believe when i.check stats for nerds it tells me that.

If u remote in u will also be able to see the tv image on the home screen.

all4dom

Carlo, my daughter is special needs so I just have to wait till my wife gets back so we can do this uninterrupted. Thanks.

• Solution
11 minutes ago, all4dom said:

Carlo, my daughter is special needs so I just have to wait till my wife gets back so we can do this uninterrupted. Thanks.

No problem at all.  My son was special needs as well so I fully understand.

You can download TeamViewer from www.teamviewer.com and install it on your PC you work from (doesn't need to be the server).
When ready just PM me the userID and one-time use password.

Take your time, I'm available all day.

• Like 1

all4dom

@cayarsthank you for taking a good hour of your time to remote in & fix my emby setup. Live tv is running great & I love how you tweaked the home screen. You really did enhance emby for my family & the waf is much better. Thank you again so much.

P.S.... thanks for helping me with channels also, even though its not developed by emby. 😀

We got things working pretty quickly but I wasn't in any hurry as I was just watching some NFL playoff games to get me in the mood for the Super Bowl tomorrow (go Brady) and eating dinner and it was a pleasure chatting with you so... LOL, didn't even realize it was an hour.  Funny how times flies when you're doing something you enjoy!

We try and go "above and beyond" whenever possible and I didn't mind at all the side questions and solutions we did.

Now tell your friends how great Emby is.  LOL

Let us know if you have any additional questions or issues.

Enjoy,
Carlo

• Like 2