Channels dvr integration

all4dom
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

boogmeister1
On 2/6/2021 at 3:18 PM, all4dom said:

@cayarsthank you for taking a good hour of your time to remote in & fix my emby setup. Live tv is running great & I love how you tweaked the home screen. You really did enhance emby for my family & the waf is much better. Thank you again so much.

P.S.... thanks for helping me with channels also, even though its not developed by emby. 😀

Were you able to get the channels to change faster after the tweaking that Carlo did for you? I love Emby and would absolutely use it as our only TV source, but the channel changing speed has the WAF set pretty low.

Thanks!

The best you likely can do in Emby at present is 3 to 5 seconds tuning speed depending on options used and client. With other options or interlaced channels it's like more like 7 seconds.

boogmeister1
29 minutes ago, cayars said:

The best you likely can do in Emby at present is 3 to 5 seconds tuning speed depending on options used and client. With other options or interlaced channels it's like more like 7 seconds.

Thanks for the quick reply. I also wanted to say thank you for the above tutorial for using CDVR as a tuner. I have been a happy channels user, but always have to switch to Emby every time we want to watch one of our movies or music. I love being able to do everything with Emby now. Even though I have still have to subscribe to CDVR.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

all4dom

@boogmeister1if I'm correct the cdvr m3u stream is a beta & part of the delay is going through emby, but I dont really see a long gap in loading or switching channels. Emby really does handle it nice & the icing on the cake is the help from @cayars who knows how to troubleshoot the whole dam thing & tweak it. I did not know how to setup everything let alone understand all  the differences & carlo was just great at making everything work 😀. Now if emby could allow us to do this instead of using cdvr that would be even better, but I'm guessing there are certain issues they would like to avoid. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
CrossCech

@cayars,

First off, great tutorial on integrating CDVR into Emby!  

I have a multi-part question regarding local channels I receive OTA (antenna) via HDHomerun that CDVR uses and, like all4dom, I have a small channels stream package with my cable company. Currently, I have Emby only configured using the HDHomerun as TV tuners in LIVE TV setup, using SchedulesDirect.  This is going away very soon because SD sent me an email saying I can't use their guide data in Emby.

Do I leave those, add the CDVR m3u playlist & guide data xml (which includes the HDHR in CDVR) but uncheck my local stations? I'm concerned about doubling up channels and then picture quality of the HDHR channels since they are going through a "middleman" (CDVR) to get to the final destination (Emby) via m3u rather than direct. 

In my perfect world scenario, I want Emby to pull my locals directly from HDHR and pull my TV web streams from CDVR, but have them all in order in Emby guide. How do I configure guide data to work accordingly?

Thank you for your time and help.

CC

Edited by CrossCech

9 minutes ago, CrossCech said:

Carlo,

First off, great tutorial on integrating CDVR into Emby!  

I have a multi-part question regarding local channels I receive OTA (antenna) via HDHomerun that CDVR uses and, like all4dom, I have a small channels stream package with my cable company. Currently, I have Emby only configured using the HDHomerun as TV tuners in LIVE TV setup, using SchedulesDirect.  This is going away very soon because SD sent me an email saying I can't use their guide data in Emby.

Do I leave those, add the CDVR m3u playlist & guide data xml (which includes the HDHR in CDVR) but uncheck my local stations? I'm concerned about doubling up channels and then picture quality of the HDHR channels since they are going through a "middleman" (CDVR) to get to the final destination (Emby) via m3u rather than direct. 

In my perfect world scenario, I want Emby to pull my locals directly from HDHR and pull my TV web streams from CDVR, but have them all in order in Emby guide. How do I configure guide data to work accordingly?

Thank you for your time and help.

CC

So you presently have an HDHomeRun setup already for OTA and you installed this in CDVR and Emby correct?  You likely only need this setup in Emby and not in CDVR unless you have special needs.  Which Model HDHR do you have?

I'm assuming you are in the US which means you can switch over to use the free guide data provided by Emby.

Without knowing exactly which channels you get from where I'm not sure what the best solution would be for you but if you want I can spend a few minutes with you in a remote session and help you get this all setup optimally.  Let me know if you would like to do this.  It shouldn't take very long and we can get you switched away from SchedulesDirect as well.

CrossCech

Yeah that would be cool. I have some things to do over the next few hours, but will be able to tackle this with you later this afternoon. Would 2 pm MT be ok? I'll PM you TeamViewer credentials around then.

Sammy
2 hours ago, cayars said:

So you presently have an HDHomeRun setup already for OTA and you installed this in CDVR and Emby correct?  You likely only need this setup in Emby and not in CDVR unless you have special needs.  Which Model HDHR do you have?

I'm assuming you are in the US which means you can switch over to use the free guide data provided by Emby.

Without knowing exactly which channels you get from where I'm not sure what the best solution would be for you but if you want I can spend a few minutes with you in a remote session and help you get this all setup optimally.  Let me know if you would like to do this.  It shouldn't take very long and we can get you switched away from SchedulesDirect as well.

We never got around to setting up the guide data when I did this. I've removed TVE from ChannelsDVR because it was making a mess out of my Emby LiveTV Guide.

You can use Emby guide data or data from CDVR.  Luke needs to make one additional change in the next beta and cdvr import will be near perfect.  This change is needed as CDVR uses a strange method to send show season/episode info that doesn't follow the standard.

It's not hard to map Emby guide data to the network channels from TVE as it will be roughly 120 to 150 channels max or roughly 50 to 60 without the fluff channels. If a couple of people wanted to send me TVE credentials or setup me up a login/password on their cable account I could likely provide a drop in solution with 95%-100% of the correct mappings since this info is stored in an XML file on the server.

I could do this now for Xfinity/Comcast as that is who I use.

3 hours ago, CrossCech said:

Yeah that would be cool. I have some things to do over the next few hours, but will be able to tackle this with you later this afternoon. Would 2 pm MT be ok? I'll PM you TeamViewer credentials around then.

Send them when you get a chance and I'll connect.

CrossCech
3 hours ago, cayars said:

You likely only need this setup in Emby and not in CDVR unless you have special needs. 

Special needs would be Closed Captioning. After my 1st attempt at configuring the guide & before consulting with you, I went into Emby to test and saw that yes my HDHR channels were doubled up. However, I also discovered that while closed captioning from the ATSC HDHR channels are accessible, captions for cable tv web streams were lost in Emby. In CDVR they 're there for all the channels. CDVR uses .mpg for video which maintains the CC stream. Have to assume that Emby is changing something in the cable tv web channels (HDHR channels still provided CC) that's causing the ETA-608 closed caption stream to be lost/not picked up by Emby. This is a whole other issue and I don't want this thread to spin out of control going down that rabbit hole. 

Edited by CrossCech
clarification

That's something that previously worked but a change cause this to not work if the media isn't direct played.  Luke has commented this will be fixed in an upcoming release.

• Like 2

Sammy
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

That's something that previously worked but a change cause this to not work if the media isn't direct played.  Luke has commented this will be fixed in an upcoming release.

I thought it was @ebr that committed to it.. CC's are just broken for me right now for LiveTV on AndroidTV and Tizen.

Sammy
33 minutes ago, cayars said:

You can use Emby guide data or data from CDVR.  Luke needs to make one additional change in the next beta and cdvr import will be near perfect.  This change is needed as CDVR uses a strange method to send show season/episode info that doesn't follow the standard.

It's not hard to map Emby guide data to the network channels from TVE as it will be roughly 120 to 150 channels max or roughly 50 to 60 without the fluff channels. If a couple of people wanted to send me TVE credentials or setup me up a login/password on their cable account I could likely provide a drop in solution with 95%-100% of the correct mappings since this info is stored in an XML file on the server.

I could do this now for Xfinity/Comcast as that is who I use.

I think you may still have mine, or my ChannelsDVR and Locast Creds.. I don't remember now. 

5 minutes ago, Sammy said:

I thought it was @ebr that committed to it.. CC's are just broken for me right now for LiveTV on AndroidTV and Tizen.

I think you're right it was ebr!

4 minutes ago, Sammy said:

I think you may still have mine, or my ChannelsDVR and Locast Creds.. I don't remember now. 

I did but removed them. If you want to resend me the TVE/Locast credentials I'll try setting this up and we can test the XML transfer over to your system which would be perfect.

Did a remote with CrossCech and got him squared away.

Nice to meet another NFL lover who collects football games!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Jimmy1964

Hello Carlo, Thank you for pointing me to this thread, I was able to add the channels-DVR for a tuner but I have no data in the guide , all the channels are showing , OTA, Pluto and Stirr. just like in the Channels-DVR server but I have no data on the EPG other than station logos 

Emby is on the same computer as CDVR so i used the link http://127.0.0.1:8089/devices/ANY/guide/xmltv?duration=1209600 I pasted that in the browser and saw a lot of information so the link works but when I went to add guide source,  i selected XMLTV pasted the link but it did not populate the guide, I don't know what I am doing wrong , can you please help Thank You!

Absolutely we can help with this.

Send me a PM and we should be able to take care of this pretty quickly.

No, Channels DVR is a seperate DVR product but is very complimentary to Emby as most people use it to combine and pull content this is not cleanly available otherwise.  They sort of have a niche use for many people.

It can for example integrate with Locast.org if you have an account to pull down your local OTA channels via Internet.  If you have a cable subscription it can manage and pull down many of the network channels (ie Hallmark, CNN, Fox News, TBS, etc) as if it were a tuner.  Same with Pluto and Stir.

Then it can export this info as both an m3u file and xml file for easy import into Emby which has far nicer features and clients.  It's popular for many people because of it's integration with TV Everywhere (network cable channels).

But if you can record directly from a local tuner be it OTA or Cable you are better off doing this of course.

• Thanks 1

BillOatman

Wow.  I have spectrum cable, I should look into that.  Thanks!

Oh do you need a homerun with cable card for spectrum?

Edited by BillOatman