Series Recording Settings - Constantly Recording

sundevil67
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

sundevil67

I've noticed Emby is spending quite a lot of energy recording one series, but it's either ignoring the settings, or I've misunderstood how this should be set up. I like to keep a handful of "Judge Judy" episodes in my library. The show is quite possibly the most widely syndicated show on TV, broadcast at multiple times on several channels worldwide. I have it set up to record "all episodes", on "any channel" with a limit of 5. I was assuming the limit of 5 episodes would tell Emby server to stop recording once that limit is reached. Yet it seems to be perpetually recording an episode of Judge Judy, despite already having 5 episodes in my library. In the attached screenshot, you can see how far more than 5 recordings are scheduled. I did just notice the message in "Series Settings" where it reads "Recordings over the limit are deleted when the next recording begins. Oldest recordings are deleted first, by date added." It sounds like it just keeps recording beyond 5, and once it confirms 5 already exist, it gets moved to the trash (where a significant number of large files wind up every day, but that's for another thread).

If I'm understanding that right, it sounds pretty inefficient, and may be the wrong setup for a show like this where I don't want "new episodes only", and is on so many times each day. Before I switch it off & just record more episodes manually after we watch them, I wanted to see if there was any kind of workaround or other setting that might actually stop it at 5.

Another related issue that's even stranger, and likely more difficult to diagnose, is that despite having "do not record episodes already in my library" checked, I find recorded episodes with the same title which are sometimes duplicates, and other times are not.

recordings.jpg

Hi.  The limit you changed is how many to "keep" not how many to record.  In most situations, you would want the 5 most recent airings so that's how it will work.

The help text under the option explains this (I see you noticed this now):

image.png

There is currently no way to change this behavior.

sundevil67

We crossed wires a little here because of how I worded my question... I understand what it's doing, but it's all good because I got my answer. For a show like this where it's almost constantly being aired somewhere, I think my best bet is just going to be re-starting the series pass once I watch a couple. It's not like I watch them often enough for this to even be an inconvenience, so it's all good. Since I got some help with STRM files & accessing more VOD stuff from within Emby, I use the DVR much less anyway. I look forward to the day I no longer have to ration server CPU resources when the budget allows for one of those new M1 Mac Minis.

• 4 weeks later...
sundevil67

One more question about an issue that's affecting the reliability of the DVR. It's happening with all of my series' in my Schedule, and seems like a bug. Maybe someone with more knowledge can shed some light?

When I set up a series to record "new episodes only", nothing at all gets recorded. The only way anything gets taped is if I choose "all episodes", which then leaves me with multiple copies of the same episode, even if I select "do not record episodes already in my library", possibly because they don't get identified, and are titled uniquely according to airtime (so Emby thinks they're different). I'd prefer not to keep recording/deleting episodes I don't want, because of the issues discussed above. If "new episodes only" is just not working at the moment, I can cherry-pick a few of the most important series & just wait until I can buy a new server to record the rest...or maybe the bug (if it is one) will be ironed out by then. I hope all of that makes sense. Thank you in advance.

• Solution
1 hour ago, sundevil67 said:

When I set up a series to record "new episodes only", nothing at all gets recorded.

Hi.  What guide data are you using?  The fact that an episode is "new" has to be within the guide data.