Live TV Guide not moving to match current time

NoDak67
Go to solution Solved by Ronstang,

when i select a show/movie from the live tv guide then watch say a show (30mins) or a movie (1-2hrs), if i use the back arrow to go back to the guide, it still shows the left most time stamp of when i started watching the show/movie and it doesnt refresh unless i exit the guide and then go back into it.

another thing, if i just sit in the live tv guide window it will not advance as time goes by. just sits there. ie: its now 1230pm and the left most time block is 1130am.

is this the normal behavior? i hope not. i know 2 clicks to fix it but really?

• Solution
Ronstang

If you're in the web app you are going to need to refresh the page.  Mine never advances automatically either, I have to refresh to get it current.

Well that's a bummer, at least Plex moves forward automatically.

Testing between Plex paid and emby paid so far I love the portable emby server version since I can run it from a share on my nas but the server process runs on a dedicated windows pc and all the data files default to saving to the nas shared folder.

but the Plex just seems to work better albeit not very customizable as emby.

And the customizable nature of emby makes it better than Plex but the wife approval rate is won over with Plex.

Hi.  Not sure if you are just using web for testing and then plan to use apps on Android TV or Roku in actual use.  Both of those apps should keep the guide fresh for you automatically.

6 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Not sure if you are just using web for testing and then plan to use apps on Android TV or Roku in actual use.  Both of those apps should keep the guide fresh for you automatically.

Well I right clicked the tray icon and launched the emby console and that was what I was using. 

Also another thing I noticed in the roku app, the timeslots identifier at the top was scrolling of the screen when I scrolled down the channels. I have to double check to see if that was a fluke

1 minute ago, NoDak67 said:

Well I right clicked the tray icon and launched the emby console and that was what I was using. 

I'm just saying that, if that's not how you are actually going to consume your Live TV and, instead, you will use one of the apps I mentioned - then this will work as you expect.

1 minute ago, ebr said:

I'm just saying that, if that's not how you are actually going to consume your Live TV and, instead, you will use one of the apps I mentioned - then this will work as you expect.

So if I open a web browser on the machine running it, it won't update? I would have to use a separate app on the machine that is running the server?

3 minutes ago, NoDak67 said:

So if I open a web browser on the machine running it, it won't update? I would have to use a separate app on the machine that is running the server?

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand.

If you are using the Roku or Android TV app to watch TV from the guide, it will update in real time as you use it.  So the situation you outlined in your original post will not be a problem.

If you are using the web app, it will not update in real time but will be up to date whenever you load or refresh the page.

Just now, ebr said:

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand.

If you are using the Roku or Android TV app to watch TV from the guide, it will update in real time as you use it.  So the situation you outlined in your original post will not be a problem.

If you are using the web app, it will not update in real time but will be up to date whenever you load or refresh the page.

The Roku app works just fine. It's using a web browser on the machine that is running the server (windows 10 stand alone pc that is only running emby and nothing else). I am guessing the web browser is not keeping a open socket to the server so it knows to update the tv guide as time goes by

Ronstang
1 hour ago, Luke said:

The web app does advance without having to do it manually.

Mine never has on it's own.  I always have to refresh the page.  I don't even see how it could as the page would have to refresh by itself every minute or few minutes by itself.  I have web pages open continually that I frequent that are open for days and each time I go to that tab I have to refresh the page to see the current status.  Plus the OP is using the back arrow so even if it did it sounds like he is going back to a cached instance of the page which would require a refresh.

It updates for me.  I just tested this in chrome and watched the timeline move on it's own 2 times.
If you watch a movie and BACK in the browser you will likely be back to pre show time but then it will self correct.

If it's not updating automatically then you should check for browser addon or things that could be blocking this.

Try opening a new tab before lunch or dinner where you'll be away for a while and check it before and after and see it it's moving or not with nothing touching or using the computer.

arrbee99

Am also having a look and far as I can tell, the timeline moves, and it keeps om moving till it disappears off the right of the page, and it stays gone till you refresh.

So the timeline refreshes, but the webpage doesn't.

Ronstang

WOW!  You learn something every day.  I never saw that before but like the OP said he is using eh back button in the browser so he is going to a cached page in the past and he isn't sitting there patiently waiting for it to update for a couple minutes, like I was so if he is at a cached page I don't think that will auto update....which is what I used to do.

thanks for all the replies, it kinda confirmed what i thought was happening and what needed to be done. but as mentioned before when i am done watching a tv show/movie and hit the <-- on the screen it just takes me back to the previous page which will not refresh automatically. i either have to hit refresh or exit out the home page of the emby landing page. on wmc/plex you dont have to do this. and yes the timeline moves but the grid will not move unless i refresh. i am guessing this is an issue with emby not having a active/open persisitent socket to the guide since its a web page (chrome/firefox) looking at the guide and not thru the windows app. the emby server is running on a different vlan than what i am connecting from. all my iot/cameras/media devices are on a different vlan than my network rack and my primary desktop that i admin from to my network rack.

running a unifi udm pro, unifi 10gb switch, 2x8bay synology diskstations, and a unifi mesh wifi system with 3 ap's

resized_network_map.thumb.jpg.77eda0920828c540fb2b1fdaa153eb0f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...