Emby Performace drops after adding new media

nagetech
Go to solution Solved by nagetech,

nagetech

So I tried vacuuming the database, so I made sure the line said True (I closed emby first of course)

I started it up, and it fired up no difference. I checked the xml file again, and it still showed "true" even though @Luke post said it should have reset to false.

Did check the logs, saw nothing about the database getting vacuumed.

Did I miss a simple step somewhere?

Edited by nagetech

Did you exit back out of Emby before you checked the XML file?

If it's still showing as true try it again.
Worse case do a reboot and see if it worked.  If not let us know.

It's possible if you have any corruption in the database the vacuum won't be performed.
I could remote in with you and take a quick look.

nagetech

I did exit Emby, edit the file, then start Emby up again. No change.

Is there a different way to vacuum the database?   This installation is only about a month old, so be interested to see if that helps.

Updating my observations, I have image extraction to only run at the default scheduled time, no longer on import. Emby seems to run fine all day, after the night time tasks run (library scans, thumbnail image extraction, refresh people) that is when Emby starts being laggy. It appears like the HTTP server is taking a bit to respond, as when it actualy does play the movie, it streams just fine.

When a TV show is playing and one episode is done, it takes it a little bit to start the next episode.

Now If I restart Emby, it is instantly snappy again and runs great!

Hoping for more hints :)

3 hours ago, nagetech said:

Is there a different way to vacuum the database?   This installation is only about a month old, so be interested to see if that helps.

What OS are you running Emby on?

nagetech

C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\logs

Sorry for the late reply and thank you all for chipping in to help so far!

17 minutes ago, nagetech said:

C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\logs

Sorry for the late reply and thank you all for chipping in to help so far!

You log into your computer as USER ?

• Haha 1

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

I reckon that's a placeholder? 

nagetech
5 minutes ago, cayars said:

No lol I changed the username before I submitted the post, I assure you :)

Thanks for pointing it out though! May serve as a lesson or  hint to another reader!

Try this.  Unzip the attached zip file to c:\sql or similar.

Edit the vacuum.bat file to change the path (CHANGE-ME) to proper location.

Shut down Emby.
Make a copy of your library.db file which is in the DATA directory under programdata.
Run the batch file (DO NOT SHUTDOWN or close the window while it's running)
Restart Emby.

Vacuum.zip

Edited by cayars

nagetech

Ah! I didn't realize you were making me a script! Thank you!

I couldn't shut down emby right now as a bunch of users are one, BUT I did make a copy of the database and edited the script. Ran it to see the size difference.

It went from 927MB to 807MB

Damn, This installation is only a month old. I'm not too familiar with databases, but what could have caused the bloat?

Thank you for helping out!

34 minutes ago, cayars said:

No lol I changed the username before I submitted the post, I assure you :)

Thanks for pointing it out though! May serve as a lesson or  hint to another reader!

If you didn't shutdown Emby you don't have a valid library.db backup.
You can't back this file up while Emby is running because of it's temp files which hold info since Emby started.

nagetech

It was just a test, I know that's not the right way to do it :) I plan on doing it the right way later tonight when the server is idle.

You got it.  For a test run what you did will work just fine. I just wanted to make sure you knew it wasn't a valid backup of the library.db file.

When you do it correctly later, make a good copy.  ALWAYS a good idea to have a copy/spare version of this file.  It's the lifeblood of Emby. :)

nagetech

Alrighty! Just ran the command the correct way. Now it's time to see if that was the magic bullet fix!

BTW, can you tell me a little bit about how that command helps out? I was surprised to see by how much the database shrank.

nagetech

Thanks for that info.

It looks like, despite having shrunk the heck out of my database, the performance issue is still there. Emby runs FAST when it's fresh.

After I added 7 new movies, had it do the whole scan library and extract image thumbnails, THEN the UI responsiveness slowed down. Clicking on anything, Movie library or just a single movie, takes a perceivable amount of time before it loads. It's like the HTTP server just slows down after it imports bigger files. TV shows I've noticed don't affect it as much.

I can confirm when emby starts to slow down, there is NOTHING going on with the server that would cause emby to slow down. Server has plenty of resources and only runs emby/sonaar/radaar on there.

Thanks so far for all the help and the awesome script though. Going to add that to my monthly toolbox for maintenance.

Adding 7 movies should be almost imperceivable. Adding hundreds to thousands on the other hand can take a noticeable hit that a vacuum can help with.

When you perceive these speed difference what client are you using?  It's not theater or a browser running on the server is it?
If so do the checks from a different computer or client as you're competing for resources on the server otherwise.

nagetech

Usually when I see the issues, I notice them first on the firesticks. There is a lag between navigating the menu selections. When going to the Movies list, it does take it a bit to show it. Now I under having about 9500 movies in there takes time, but, when emby is first launched, that menu shows up fast. After the previously mentioned conditions I stated, then the lag shows up.

Same things happen on my iOS devices, browser clients, and remote clients. The fix is always a restart of emby server.

Curious, what do you consider LAG?  Are you talking about 2 or 3 second delay entering a new library or 10 seconds?

On 2/16/2021 at 3:59 AM, nagetech said:

I am running a fresh install of Windows server 2016

Got you logs and looked at them and you have very high times listed for many different things from database retrieval to pulling info from meta-providers.
One call can be 20ms while the next is 8 seconds.

Is Emby running on pure metal?

What else do you have running on this machine?