HandBrake Ripping DVDs - Border around all videos

ThePaladinTech

ThePaladinTech

So I've used the handbrake setttings provided at the rokoding site I'm pretty sure all of my ripped media has a black frame around it. Any idea how to get rid of that? I'd like my videos to fill the screen. Oh and I am talking about wide screen DVDs on a wide screen TV...

I'm *obviously* doing something wrong - any help appreciated.

Jeff

Edited by ThePaladinTech

david3663

Does the source not have borders around it? It would help some if you posted maybe a couple screenshots before and after also your handbrake settings.

FlyGuyAZ

That's not an easy question. Widescreen TVs are 16:9 which is a 1.78 aspect ratio (16 divided by 9). Old square CRT TVs are 1.33. Widescreen movies (DVD, Blu-rays,etc.) can be either 2.35 or 1.78 and some in between ratios. The back of the cover on the box and IMDB will tell you what ratio the movie is. 

When you change aspect ratios you have to make concessions. A 2.41 movie switched to 1.85 will make everybody look tall and stretched. If you watch a 1.85 movie it will fill the TV nicely. A 2.41 movie will have black bars on the tops and bottoms (letter boxing) but not the sides. Your TV probably has options for stretching and zooming to fill the entire screen no matter the ratio of the source.

Rokoding's site screenshots have the aspect ration listed on the "picture" tab under 'source'. Handbrake's user guide has all the gooey details: https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/AnamorphicGuide