High CPU usage for HW transcoding?

Whitelabel
Go to solution Solved by Whitelabel,

Whitelabel

Finally got emby working in my UnRaid and able to use HW transcoding. Im currently testing 4 streams at once. 3 streams with HW transcoding, but im noticing on my server that the CPU usage is pretty high.

It averages 77% on an Intel 10100. Is that a normal usage? Or should i be seeing lower than that?

emby_4streams.thumb.png.6e397ded56e636ce92c649ffd8c78258.png

intel_10100_streams.thumb.png.39dd7241a04264dfd31fc560d072707b.png

PenkethBoy

well it tries to go as fast as it can

unless you are using throttling

and 80% load is not an issue

load also depends on the input video type

looks like the third transcode is struggling at only 16 fps

Even though the three transcodes are using hardware accelerated transcoding, they may still have parts of the process that require the CPU.

Whitelabel

Yah i wouldve thought using Intel QS would be an upgrade when i was using my nVidia 1080 GTX for having multiple transcoding streams.

Does Emby benefit using a higher core/thread count than what i have along with QuickSync?  

Granted, im happy that Transcoding is waaaayy faster in QS than my old 1080 GTX.

Does Emby benefit using a higher core/thread count than what i have along with QuickSync?  

Hi, what do you mean by higher than what you have?

• Solution
Whitelabel
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi, what do you mean by higher than what you have?

You know i actually answered my own question.  I did 15 transcodes (12 chrome tabs, 2 android devices + Roku TV) simultaneously and the i3 10100 kept up very well.  100% pegged on all threads for the first 10 mins or so, then it finally settled down to 47% ish once all transcodes have settled down.

Emby will benefit for more threads in the beginning, but once everything is settled down... there's no point in upgrading to more thread count.

Thank you guys for being helpful.