HW Acceleration maxes out nVidia RTX 4000 when playing back 4k movie on 1080p display

MBSki

rbjtech
8 hours ago, cayars said:

This allows all clients to have an audio track that doesn't require transcoding.

Me too - been doing this for a couple of years as 'post processing' to ensure the media is as compatible as possible with default settings.

I'm 'almost' at the stage where I can turn off transcoding - but when I do see it (rare now), I go on a witch hunt to find out who is using up my CPU and why .. haha.

7 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I'm 'almost' at the stage where I can turn off transcoding - but when I do see it (rare now), I go on a witch hunt to find out who is using up my CPU and why .. haha.

Same, and it's usually only because someone tried to play a 7.1 track without the hardware or because of bitrate limits on remote connections.

• 3 weeks later...
MBSki

@cayars @softworkz Will the HDR tonemapping capability be able to switch to software transcoding if it encounters errors in the video? it seems most of my 4k videos have errors, but the errors only occur periodically throughout the video. If HW transcoding could be used as the primary and only fall back to software if it encounters an error, that would be ideal. Hoping this is how it will work.

@mbarylski This is what it does depending on your settings. You need to choose the option to use both hardware and software tone mapping.

• Thanks 1

MBSki
1 hour ago, cayars said:

@mbarylski This is what it does depending on your settings. You need to choose the option to use both hardware and software tone mapping.

Awesome, thanks! Can't wait till it hits stable so I can try it out. 😁

rbjtech
12 hours ago, mbarylski said:

@cayars @softworkz Will the HDR tonemapping capability be able to switch to software transcoding if it encounters errors in the video? it seems most of my 4k videos have errors, but the errors only occur periodically throughout the video. If HW transcoding could be used as the primary and only fall back to software if it encounters an error, that would be ideal. Hoping this is how it will work.

I would invest the time to finding out why your 4K Rips have errors in them as no process is going to 'gracefully' fall back to s/w decoding without a playback pause at the very least.

Are the errors repeatable across various films, or is it only some with the issue ?  Are they the same publisher, do they have seamless branching ?

• Like 1

MBSki
1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

I would invest the time to finding out why your 4K Rips have errors in them as no process is going to 'gracefully' fall back to s/w decoding without a playback pause at the very least.

Are the errors repeatable across various films, or is it only some with the issue ?  Are they the same publisher, do they have seamless branching ?

It's MakeMKV. Carlo already told me that was the issue. I'm not a fan of generating even more formats though, so I'd like to leave my MakeMKV generated files alone as those are the absolute best quality. I haven't seen anything in the MakeMKV forums regarding a fix so I just have to live with it for now.

rbjtech
10 hours ago, mbarylski said:

Awesome, thanks! Can't wait till it hits stable so I can try it out. 😁

Why not try it out in beta ?

Just install a 'portable' version on the same server and change the port - setup a test library and point to your existing media.

• Like 1

MBSki
Just now, rbjtech said:

Why not try it out in beta ?

Just install a 'portable' version on the same server and change the port - setup a test library and point to your existing media.

Hmmm. I wasn't aware of that option. I can run 2 separate instances of Emby on the same exact Windows instance? No docker needed? By port you mean these?

image.png.700f1d416bf11cb4a075905d35600029.png

rbjtech
2 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

It's MakeMKV. Carlo already told me that was the issue. I'm not a fan of generating even more formats though, so I'd like to leave my MakeMKV generated files alone as those are the absolute best quality. I haven't seen anything in the MakeMKV forums regarding a fix so I just have to live with it for now.

Are these Dolby Vision titles ?  I'm wondering if the DV single layer 'hack' that MakeMKV is doing is confusing ffmpeg ..  I must confess, I have not tried transcoding Dolby Vision titles from a single layer makeMKV rip ....  Will try this shortly ...

rbjtech
Just now, mbarylski said:

Hmmm. I wasn't aware of that option. I can run 2 separate instances of Emby on the same exact Windows instance? No docker needed? By port you mean these?

image.png.700f1d416bf11cb4a075905d35600029.png

Correct - just change these (to 8097/8921 - whatever..) and restart the server using these ports instead.

• Thanks 1

MBSki
Just now, rbjtech said:

Are these Dolby Vision titles ?  I'm wondering if the DV single layer 'hack' that MakeMKV is doing is confusing ffmpeg ..  I must confess, I have not tried transcoding Dolby Vision titles from a single layer makeMKV rip ....  Will try this shortly ...

No. Harry Potter has been my test since I just hadn't copied the 1080p versions for those for some reason. I'm sure others are the same, but I haven't tested many others. Only other one I tested was A Beautiful Planet and that didn't have errors.

MBSki
Just now, rbjtech said:

Correct - just change these (to 8097/8921 - whatever..) and restart the server using these ports instead.

Well then, that's really good to know. Thanks for the tip!!!

rbjtech
34 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

so just to report back that DV single layer rips from makeMKV work just fine with both NV and QSV with TM.

ffmpeg sppears to 'skip' the DV enhancements - and just use the HDR base layer - which is as planned.

14:33:05.336 [hevc @ 000002a57ceedbc0] Skipping NAL unit 62
14:33:05.342 [hevc @ 000002a57ceeee00] Skipping NAL unit 63

@softworkz - FYI

@mbarylski I get 197/198 fps - 4K DV 70Mbit/sec > 10Mbit 1080p using a GTX1070 - I'd love to see what an RTX4000 gets (other bottlenecks aside as discussed above.;)) !

Edited by rbjtech

MBSki

@rbjtech Alright, I just dropped the beta on my PC. How exactly do I change the port? I can't open it from the tray icon cause it just goes to my other server. And I can't find a config file.

1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

@mbarylski I get 197/198 fps - 4K DV 70Mbit/sec > 10Mbit 1080p using a GTX1070 - I'd love to see what a RTX4000 gets (other bottlenecks aside as discussed above.;)) !

Yes, I'm eager to give it a shot. 😁

rbjtech
1 minute ago, mbarylski said:

@rbjtech Alright, I just dropped the beta on my PC. How exactly do I change the port? I can't open it from the tray icon cause it just goes to my other server. And I can't find a config file.

Yes, I'm eager to give it a shot. 😁

Ah sorry yes, should have said - you can't run both on the same port at the same time - so you need to close down the other server first.  Then fire up up the new, change the ports, then restart it - then finally just restart your previous server.  

• Like 1

MBSki
5 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Ah sorry yes, should have said - you can't run both on the same port at the same time - so you need to close down the other server first.  Then fire up up the new, change the ports, then restart it - then finally just restart your previous server.  

Ah, duh. There we go. All set, thanks! 

So when a new beta drops will I get it automatically for that instance?

• Like 1

Ah, duh. There we go. All set, thanks! 

You should yes.

rbjtech

Yes. 

One final word of caution on using two instances - if you are using metadata from the shared media (ie you have opted to save it with the media), then I would turn meta data collection off in the beta - you don't want to potentially mess with your release metadata.   If you save the metadata locally (or both or just the beta) then you are good to go.

• Like 1

Yes, better yet would be to use different libs completely just so there isn't an overlap and you won't have to think about it, but they can share libs if careful.

For example if using both Release and Beta and want to test the new Music I'd use a different library.

MBSki
14 minutes ago, cayars said:

For example if using both Release and Beta and want to test the new Music I'd use a different library.

Shoot. That's one of the first libraries I set up. Why would I need to use different libraries though for the Music beta? 

rbjtech

I think all Carlo is saying is call it something different so it's obvious that it's the Beta.  ;)   I simply put (BETA) in the library name so it's obvious.

You can setup exactly the same library from exactly the same source - I see no issues in doing that as long as the two are not conflicting with the same metadata - see above. 

Edited by rbjtech

MBSki
21 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

One final word of caution on using two instances - if you are using metadata from the shared media (ie you have opted to save it with the media), then I would turn meta data collection off in the beta - you don't want to potentially mess with your release metadata.   If you save the metadata locally (or both or just the beta) then you are good to go.

Let me see if I completely understand. I was adding MusicBrainz ID's in my music files. Is that an issue? Or do I need to turn something off here in the beta? Or something else. I don't think I know what you're talking about. 😅

image.png.d77155446253d1e088d3a96d6cffb12f.png

Actually for testing Music I would use separate media so that the beta can't change files (NFO or graphics) that your release version is using.

That's just me being extra cautious.  I would certainly create a test library and copy 5 to 10 artists and play with that first.

Edited by cayars
  • Thanks 1

MBSki
4 hours ago, rbjtech said:

@mbarylski I get 197/198 fps - 4K DV 70Mbit/sec > 10Mbit 1080p using a GTX1070 - I'd love to see what an RTX4000 gets (other bottlenecks aside as discussed above.;)) !

Initial tests look really good. I'm getting about 300 fps transcoding to 1080p 40 Mb. After about 4 minutes, I had already transcoded a 30 minute buffer! Still testing out the settings, but it seems I can even get past the errors in my files with HW transcoding only. I'll keep testing though as what I saw so far might have been a fluke.

Colors look good too. On par with actual 1080p versions. Looks just about ready for stable! 😁 

• Like 3