MBC crashes after MPC-HC playback

Marc_G

Marc_G

Hi folks,

I saw several similar but not quite identical problem reports after the last server update. Here's mine.

All has been stable on my system since winter. I left for vacation at the end of August, came back a couple days ago. MB Server updated in the time I was gone.

Now, whenever I play a file, (and I'm using MPC-HC as an external player), when I press Stop, I return to the Windows desktop. Clicking on WMC in the taskbar brings up the traditional WMC blue screen with a note that Media browser stopped responding, should it be disabled, or something to that effect.

Rebooting system didn't fix it. It's 100% reproducible on my system. For what it's worth, I'm on server Version 3.0.5326.13255. Running ROC theme on MBC. MPC-HC hasn't been updated since ~January or so. I've been in "ain't broke, don't fix" mode. I need to use MPC-HC due to my preference for its subtitle handling as well as problems WMC traditionally has displaying all 1920 horizontal pixels instead of just 1919 (other threads are about this, few notice it, I'm one of them).

When I restart MBC, and go in, I see that it doesn't seem to be tracking the played status (location in file) for the file that was playing when I pressed stop.

Is there a solution to the problem? If you'd like a log, I can pull one tomorrow, if you link me to the most relevant instructions for creating one in this situation.

Thanks!

Marc

Edited by Marc_G

Marc_G

This is resolved... I decided to manually check for an update to MBC, and it found the .196 update. After installing this, at first blush the problem has gone away.

Is there some way to make sure that MBC will update itself if the server app updates itself, to prevent "mis-paired" versions of the software causing problems like this? Both server and MBC are on the same HTPC.

Perhaps I've improperly configured MBC for update frequency... I'll dig in a bit this weekend and check it out. Probably, if all is working, I'll just turn off updates if things appear stable, so that I can manually choose to update if there's a big enough feature improvement relevant to my use.

:-)

Marc

Unfortunately, no there isn't any way to automatically update MBC.  Your issue arose because your server was running and updating while  you were away but you hadn't been using MBC.  Usually, when a situation like this occurs we can get the MBC update out first but you have to run the program for it to update.

You did the right thing in diagnosing this here.  Glad you got it fixed.

nydude25

This is resolved... I decided to manually check for an update to MBC, and it found the .196 update. After installing this, at first blush the problem has gone away.

Is there some way to make sure that MBC will update itself if the server app updates itself, to prevent "mis-paired" versions of the software causing problems like this? Both server and MBC are on the same HTPC.

When you manually updated your system, you used the best method for insuring you don't have issues like you experienced. Updating when you need to and you can test that there are no issues, rather than just having the system update whenever it wants, will keep your system stable. If you keep automatic updates enabled, then you have no control over when your system will do this again in the future.

What you said about MPC-HC, "if it aint broke, dont fix it", applies to your entire system.