Trakt switching to The Movie Database (TMDd) for TV Shows

TeamB

TeamB

This is interesting, Trakt switching to The Movie Database (TMDd) for TV Shows:

https://blog.trakt.tv/tmdb-transition-ef3d19a5cf24

Perhaps I should put TMBd as the first priority metadata source for my TV Shows, at the moment I have TVBD first.

From the blog:

Why are you switching to TMDB?

What it really boils down to is a moral opposition to taking in data from a community and then trying to sell it back to them. We believe when a user contributes to an online data source, they mean for that work to be shared with everyone around them. Both TMDB and Trakt have open and free APIs for developers to build upon that hard work.

TVDB is enforcing a commercial paid model to get access to their community moderated data. The first option is a commercial agreement with an app directly, but we’ve heard TVDB is asking for unrealistic licensing fees compared to an app’s revenue. The second option is charging users directly to access TVDB data. That doesn’t really work either, since that means an app is dependent on users paying a 3rd party service to work.

Announcement on Twitter:

Some interesting points made, air time is not supported in TMBd

Edited by TeamB

TeamB

So how does their Lic fees work, Free for an end user to use in an app like Emby but $$$ for a company to use the data in a service like Trakt?

No I think tvdb will be charging everyone. End users can pay an annual fee or they can use an application that has an agreement with tvdb.