Server Backup not restoring libraries

wakeboarder141
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

wakeboarder141

I am trying to migrate my Emby server to a new Synology NAS, but the Server Configuration Backup doesn't seem to bring any library information over.  I was expecting to have to modify some of it anyway, but no libraries are being created at all when I restore from the backup.  It did bring my users and at least most of my other settings over, but nothing in libraries.  User pictures are also gone, but I am thinking those might have been stored on the previous NAS.  Is this as intended or am I doing something wrong?

wakeboarder141
49 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, did you try running a library scan?

I have not.  I saw that it didn't list any libraries/folders so I gave up on it for a while.  I am reinstalling now so I will try that if it happens again.

I just used it few moments ago and libraries were restored. almost missed it but my recording schedules were not, cannot remember if they get backed up or not. but biggest thing was libraries and it was flawless.

2 hours ago, dmacleo said:

I just used it few moments ago and libraries were restored. almost missed it but my recording schedules were not, cannot remember if they get backed up or not. but biggest thing was libraries and it was flawless.

The recording schedule is not but it's something we plan to add. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

wakeboarder141

I am still having a hard time getting the restore to work properly.  None of my collections are being restored.  The movies and shows don't seem to be scanning in properly, and the restore seems to have duplicated some of my libraries, but is not bringing any metadata in with the restore so all of the movies and shows are staying as just colored squares with no information.  My users' pictures did not restore, but I managed to manually copy the user folder over and it fixed that.  Also, my users all lost their Emby Connect usernames, and I don't see any way to restore those without manually putting them all back in.  I did make a copy of the Emby folder which seems to have some info, but I will let this library scan run and sit overnight to see if anything fixes itself, but it is not usable at all as it sits now.

• Solution

Hi.  Emby Connect connections are not restored because those are tied to a specific server instance.

As for the other things you are seeing, please be sure the initial library scan has completely finished.

wakeboarder141
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Emby Connect connections are not restored because those are tied to a specific server instance.

As for the other things you are seeing, please be sure the initial library scan has completely finished.

The progress bars had all disappeared, but it appears to have still been working because overnight it has scanned most of them in now.  The biggest thing now is it didn't restore any of my collections and I would really rather not have to manually do all of those again.

Hi.  Collections are not a part of your server configuration.  They are part of your media which is not covered by the configuration backup plugin.

If you used AutoBoxSets, though, it can quickly re-create them.

wakeboarder141
23 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Collections are not a part of your server configuration.  They are part of your media which is not covered by the configuration backup plugin.

If you used AutoBoxSets, though, it can quickly re-create them.

Dang, that is going to take a lot of time to recreate.  The problem with auto box sets is that it brings all of my kids' cartoon movie collections from their library in and I don't want those.  I might have to do that and then just go through and delete all of their collections.  That would be faster than starting from scratch.  In the backup of the Emby folder from my old installation I see a folder that shows collections.  Would it work to overwrite the current folder with that one? 

RanmaCanada

I have this exact same problem and worse.  I was unable to restore my libraries as scanning them stopped instantly (all were empty, scanning for metadata did nothing, scanning for files did nothing, refreshing metadata did nothing).  At this point it's far easier to just zip your entire emby install, install a new instance on the new machine and then unzip your old server over top of it.  I finally bought a new mini system to act as my Emby server as Folding and running Emby with hardware encoding for some reason causes the machine to stop doing both, and then eventually bluescreen and turn off.  I was also unable to get Emby Connect to recognize the new server install, and yes I did tie the install to my emby account.  It found my old server that didn't exist with no problem, not not the new one.  Yes all ports were redirected properly, etc.

6 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

I have this exact same problem and worse.  I was unable to restore my libraries as scanning them stopped instantly (all were empty, scanning for metadata did nothing, scanning for files did nothing, refreshing metadata did nothing).  At this point it's far easier to just zip your entire emby install, install a new instance on the new machine and then unzip your old server over top of it.  I finally bought a new mini system to act as my Emby server as Folding and running Emby with hardware encoding for some reason causes the machine to stop doing both, and then eventually bluescreen and turn off.  I was also unable to get Emby Connect to recognize the new server install, and yes I did tie the install to my emby account.  It found my old server that didn't exist with no problem, not not the new one.  Yes all ports were redirected properly, etc.

Hi there, why do you feel that Emby Connect doesn't recognize your server?

RanmaCanada

When I installed the new server, shut down the old one, only the old server was visible on my phone, as per Emby Connect instances are.  I would then delete the old server from my Emby app on my phone, and attempt to sign in again, and Emby Connect would say there were no servers available (even though I had linked my emby connect account when installing the server).  I have been having a very difficult time with tech today, so I am just going to stop doing everything and attempt to redo everything on the weekend, quite possibly with a fresh install of windows.  If I lose stuff, I lose stuff.  At this point I no longer care as all my metadata is at least stored with my media.

On 1/21/2021 at 11:56 PM, RanmaCanada said:

When I installed the new server, shut down the old one, only the old server was visible on my phone, as per Emby Connect instances are.  I would then delete the old server from my Emby app on my phone, and attempt to sign in again, and Emby Connect would say there were no servers available (even though I had linked my emby connect account when installing the server).  I have been having a very difficult time with tech today, so I am just going to stop doing everything and attempt to redo everything on the weekend, quite possibly with a fresh install of windows.  If I lose stuff, I lose stuff.  At this point I no longer care as all my metadata is at least stored with my media.

You probably didn't go through the linking process on the new server, or perhaps you deleted the new server even though you thought it was the old one. @cayars can jump on with you and take a look if you're still having an issue. Thanks.

On 1/21/2021 at 11:56 PM, RanmaCanada said:

Did you setup your Emby Connect username to a user account on your system?  This has nothing to do with adding your premiere key.

This is where you need to check to make sure you have the server linked for that users.
image.thumb.png.6860511a93c985a66ed3d5f41c83498a.png

If you can't get this resolved let us know and we can do a remote session with you to help you get things working as Luke mentioned.

wakeboarder141
13 minutes ago, Luke said:

Has this answered your question?

If you mean my original question, yes I just had to use auto boxsets to recreate them since they don't get backed up.