Shield TV Pro DV works HDR10 NOT?

DaSilva

DaSilva

Hi,

I’m going crazy with my Shield TV Pro 2019!

It plays Dolby Vision perfectly but I can’t get HDR10 to work ... in any app. 
I’ve tried Emby, Prime Video, Netflix and even Plex, when I play a Dolby Vision file my tv switches to Dolby Vision mode but when I play a movie with HDR10 the tv stays in non HDR mode. 
With my Apple TV 4K both DV and HDR10 work. 
I think I’ve tried every possible resolution on my Shield, I’ve disabled DV, changed HDMI cables and even changed receiver to test but nothing helps. 
Is there anyone else with this problem?

The problem is when I watch a HDR10 movie in Emby on the Shield the colours look dull and washed out because the HDR isn’t kicking in. 

I checked the server when I was playing the movie and it was direct streaming. 
Same file in Emby Theater with madvr and the tv switches to HDR. 

Very strange problem not?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edited by DaSilva

DaSilva

My resolution on the Shield: 4K 59,940 Dolby Vision and HDR10 Compatible. 
But I have tried 4K 23,976 also but there is only an option for Dolby Vision Compatible. 
Then I go to Emby and play a movie with HDR (like 1917) and the movie plays but the TV doesn’t switch to HDR. 

Same movie same file plays perfectly with HDR on my media pc with Emby theater and madvr. 
I’ve tried like 20 or more different movies but no HDR switching. 

It’s definately not an Emby for Android TV problem but I hope someone here can help me. 

Edited by DaSilva

raven-au
8 hours ago, DaSilva said:

My resolution on the Shield: 4K 59,940 Dolby Vision and HDR10 Compatible.

Right, just wanted to make sure you had the HDR10 in there.

But isn't that Dolby Vision and HDR10 Ready?

23 hours ago, DaSilva said:

It’s definately not an Emby for Android TV problem

Hi.  Just to be clear, this issue is occurring with every single app you are trying to use,  correct?

DaSilva
4 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Just to be clear, this issue is occurring with every single app you are trying to use,  correct?

Yep correct.

This is definately not a Emby issue but a issue with my Shield Pro that I can’t seem to get fixed. 
If you want logs I’ll send them tomorrow. 
I will also send mediainfo from the file. 

Edited by DaSilva

DaSilva

Update:

Did a factory reset of the Shield -> no help.
Plugged the Shield straight into the tv HDMI, so bypassing the receiver, and then I can select a new resolution. Now I can select “4K 23.976 Hz Dolby Vision and HDR10 Ready” and this resolution works! When I plug it in the receiver the only resolution that states HDR10 is “4K 59.940 Hz Dolby Vision and HDR10 Ready” and that doesn’t work.

Strange because my Apple TV is set to 4K 23,976 and there everything works on the same receiver. 

raven-au
19 hours ago, DaSilva said:

Update:

Did a factory reset of the Shield -> no help.
Plugged the Shield straight into the tv HDMI, so bypassing the receiver, and then I can select a new resolution. Now I can select “4K 23.976 Hz Dolby Vision and HDR10 Ready” and this resolution works! When I plug it in the receiver the only resolution that states HDR10 is “4K 59.940 Hz Dolby Vision and HDR10 Ready” and that doesn’t work.

Strange because my Apple TV is set to 4K 23,976 and there everything works on the same receiver. 

The Apple TV working doesn't mean much because with 4K @ 23,976 Hz you don't even need a high speed cable and you don't need to ensure the ports you plug into provide enhanced HDMI functionality although if the ports aren't set to enhanced HDMI or don't support it you may get other problems with HDR and DV.

Try using 4K @ 30 Hz, HDR10 and Dolby Vision ready, on the Shield TV and since movies are mostly 23.976 Hz enable frame rate switching and you should be ok.

I have a Shield TV connected to a low end HDR TV and I have video problems with it even though the connections support enhanced HDMI,  I'll probably need to use this frame rate for it too rather than 59.940 or 60 Hz.