Shield TV playback problem (track name length?)

tqbhuy
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Hi, 

I'm running the latest official Emby on an OMV NAS. Generally my UHD mkvs work totally fine with Direct play, but I have two movies were my Nvidia ShieldTv (2017) just endlessly loads at start. Both are direct copies from disc:

Back to the Future 4K

The Neon Demon 4K

After a lot of testing I kinda found out:

I rename audio and subtitle tracks in the mkv header for better identification. Usually no problem even with really long texts for commentaries etc. Somehow Back to the Future has issues with the length?

See the attached picture. The last name is already too long. Remove the 'n' and the video suddenly plays fine. Curiously BttF Part III has the same problem but can go one letter further.

Neon Demon similar case. Difference is, I also have an HD version with the same track layout as the 4K file but HD plays fine. 4K only when I edit the track name. 

Is there something I missed like mkv specifications? Like I said, every other mkv I have works fine.

Kind regards,

BttF_mkv_info.JPG

Neon_mkv_info.JPG

embyserver (4).txt

Interesting.  There were no errors the item was just still loading when you backed out.  How long have you waited for it to start?

• Solution

Remove the 'n' and the video suddenly plays fine

What tool are you doing it with? It could also just be the act of rewriting the file that fixes it, not specifically the track length.

23 minutes ago, Luke said:

What tool are you doing it with? It could also just be the act of rewriting the file that fixes it, not specifically the track length.

I'm using MKVToolNix and then the Header Editor.

On 1/18/2021 at 4:37 AM, Luke said:

Have you tried just saving one of these mkv's as a new mkv without changing anything?

I just remuxed the movie into a new file and it seems to work now. I remembered I had the same problem with re-encodes from Handbrake. I then remuxed those files too, but also removed the global tags handbrake adds, but the remux might have been enough to fix that. Since my 4K mkvs didn't have those tags, I didn't really thought of completely remuxing it. 

Thanks for the info. If you created the original file with an older version of mkvtoolnix or handbrake it's possible it had a defect in the way it muxed the file, thus causing the problem.