Issue with MP4 files on Xbox 360 extender

Bear on the job

Bear on the job

This is a very specific issue with a lot of variables...I'm using Shark007's codec pack, a Win 7 64-bit HTPC, and Xbox 360 extender. My goal is to play MP4's natively on both the HTPC and 360, and to get subtitles on the HTPC (with either DirectVobSub or FFDShow).

If I go with the "Shark007 SUGGESTED settings" in Shark007 config, MP4's play fine on both the HTPC and the 360, but there are no subtitles on the HTPC.

If I go to the "MPG~MP4" tab in Shark007 config and "disable Media Foundation for MP4", then MP4's play fine on the HTPC and show subtitles, but on the 360 they are incredibly pixelated, and the whole time they are playing "Media Foundation Protected Pipeline EXE" is using > 50% of my CPU on the HTPC (I guess it's transcoding them??)

Does anyone know the proper Shark007 config options to do what I want? I've been playing around with the options, but can't seem to get it working properly yet. Also, I'm willing to switch to LAV only if it will do what I need.

Bear on the job

I tried uninstalling Shark007 codecs, and installed just LAV filters (v0.62)using the guide here: 

http://www.thehtpc.net/htpc-tips-and-tweaks/media-center-lav-filters-and-external-subtitles/

That didn't work so well...Now MBC won't play any video files (MP4, AVI, MKV) on my HTPC. And when I try to play a video file, it creates a memory leak in WMC. The "eshell.exe" process in Task Manager will keep growing in memory (about 100MB per second) until it exceeds 1.5GB, and then it crashes. 

Is the latest version of LAV buggy or something? Or is the guide I linked out of date? It was referenced in the tutorial section of this forum, so I thought it would be relevant...

Bear on the job

Ok, a system restart seems to have fixed the LAV issue, and it is now playing all file formats properly on my HTPC. I cannot get external subs to work though with LAV splitter. I installed vy-vsfilter as the guide says to enable external subs, but nothing is loading with the splitter. Are there extra config options?

EDIT: Nevermind, It only started working because I disabled Media Foundation in LAV, but that caused the same issue on my extender as Shark007 (transcoding with "Media Foundation Protected Pipeline EXE"). I enabled Media Foundation again and it's not playing MP4's, and causing a memory leak again. I uninstalled LAV and installed Shark007 again (latest 4.7.1) and video playback is back to normal. Still have the subtitle problem with MP4's as described in the first post though.

Edited by Bear on the job