"Forbidden" when using Firefox

justinrh
Go to solution Solved by justinrh,

justinrh

When I browse to http://svr:8096/ using Fx on two of my wireless Windows computers, the page says only "Forbidden".  The console shows 403 forbidden.  Using Edge works.  Another wireless computer has no problem using any browser.  The only thing common between the two failed computers is that the OS is 32-bit.  The other computers are 64-bit.  Clearing cache and cookies do not fix it.

The server is also Windows x64.

Hi, perhaps a browser setting or extension? A vanilla installation of the latest version of firefox is working just fine for me in my testing here.

Happy2Play

Are all systems on the same network?  Have you made any changes on Dashboard-Network?

42 minutes ago, justinrh said:

When I browse to http://svr:8096/ using Fx on two of my wireless Windows computers, the page says only "Forbidden".  The console shows 403 forbidden.  Using Edge works.  Another wireless computer has no problem using any browser.  The only thing common between the two failed computers is that the OS is 32-bit.  The other computers are 64-bit.  Clearing cache and cookies do not fix it.

The server is also Windows x64.

Hi, Can you show a screen shot of exactly what you see with the forbidden message?

justinrh

@Luke  Both browsers are vanilla, but have been installed for a long time.  And you did use x86 browser, on x86 OS?

@Happy2Play Yes, same network.  No mods to Dashboard -> Network

@cayars Like I said, "the page says only "Forbidden"".

image.png.332b65928e3ca1bc74c3e17a36716474.png

Edited by justinrh

Testing for me is 64 bit as well.  I haven't had a 32 bit OS in years so I'm not going to be of help.

Happy2Play

I had no issue installing FF 84.0.2 (32-bit) and opening Emby.

A guess would possibly be a Windows user profile issue.  If you login in with a different user does the same thing happen?

Are you sure all clients are on the same network?

Edited by Happy2Play

pwhodges

So Edge works and Firefox doesn't. 

I would start by looking very carefully at the security settings in Firefox.  Then the Windows firewall - perhaps Firefox doesn't have permission to connect to non-standard ports.  Is there any other security software installed that might restrict networking - these things do get mentioned here from time to time.

Paul

• Like 1

• Solution
justinrh

I found the problem:  IPV6!  I turn off IPV6 for the NIC and Fx can connect!  Also, the problem is not unique to Fx x86; I found a x64 machine that did the same.

Any theories on how IPV6 causes a problem in this case only for Firefox?

Edited by justinrh

Happy2Play

There was another topic somewhere but ipv6 was not considered a Local network and did this exact same thing until it was added to Local Networks.

So your network is/was a mix of ipv4 and ipv6 address then.

justinrh
15 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

There was another topic somewhere but ipv6 was not considered a Local network and did this exact same thing until it was added to Local Networks.

I'm not sure what you are saying.  Fx worked otherwise, so somehow IPV6 was being invoked (I guess) only for that address or port #.  The issue didn't affect Edge.

Is this 'local network' setting you are talking about at the OS level or in the browser?  Do you know how to configure such?  (I don't see anything specific to IPV6 in Fx settings.)

Happy2Play

In Emby Dashboard-Network, Local Networks (still looking for previous topic)

LAN networks:

Comma separated list of IP addresses or IP/netmask entries for networks that will be considered on local network when enforcing bandwidth restrictions. If set, all other IP addresses will be considered to be on the external network and will be subject to the external bandwidth restrictions. If left blank, only the server's subnet and common private IP subnets (10.0.0.0/8, 192.168.0.0/24, etc.) are considered to be on the local network.

But it still does not make any since if other browsers work and only Firefox doesn't in this environment, but hey every browser does their own thing so who really know.

Do you have "Allow Remote access" Disabled?  If so and you enable it do you still see this issue?

Happy2Play

Also what url are you using?

Have you tried the actual ip displayed on the dashboard?

justinrh

Okay, you have exposed some things, @Happy2Play.

With "Allow Remote access" enabled, it works.  (It was disabled.)

If I use the TCP IPV4 address in the URL it works.  (I had been using the server node name.)

justinrh

Awesome, that works also.  You'll need a whole FAQ page just for all the different ways to work around IPV6 issues!  😀

pwhodges
9 hours ago, justinrh said:

Is this 'local network' setting you are talking about at the OS level or in the browser?  Do you know how to configure such?  (I don't see anything specific to IPV6 in Fx settings.)

In Emby; first item in the network settings. Mine looks like this:

ipv6.thumb.jpg.7b64420f68a96bf55fe382187e8fb516.jpg

Square brackets and colons for IPv6 addresses.

Paul

• 4 months later...
roaku

I was having the forbidden issue in Firefox with the .local pseudo domain.

Turning off ipv6 resolved the issue for that too.

• Thanks 2