Option to play using external player

Tristan98

Tristan98

I notice there is no option for choosing external player on specific videos.

Once you set the external player, all videos will opened in that player, but sometimes I only want a few videos to be played by external player.

So I would say add a button, which opens the video in external player, on the movie/video page is a good idea.

• Like 1

Tristan98

Or is there any way to open the folder of video/file in explorer on description page if I already amount the drive to my WIN 10 PC? 

That can save the problem as well.

Tristan98
7 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Can you give an example of why you would need this?

Thanks.

Hi

I usually use potplayer+svp to watch anime, but not other stuff. So it's kinda inconvenient...

But what is it specifically about that content that makes you want to use an external player?

Tristan98
4 hours ago, ebr said:

But what is it specifically about that content that makes you want to use an external player?

SVP increases the frame rate of videos, which is perfect for anime or cartoons. And apparently emby's internal player does not support it. 

I don't use it on other type of videos since it adds processing time on fast forward or back forward.

If I'm just trying to watch a couple of random family videos, the loading and processing time drives me crazy...

Guest pgoslinga

Yes support. I would also like to add that you can add multiple external players but you can't select a specific external player .

sooty234

I think what the request is, is to expand the criteria. Like I suggested a long time ago to provide an option to only use an external player for HDR (never got it). Perhaps there is a way the personalize the options? Add our options based on tags, maybe? That way for Anime, if the video is tagged correctly, an external player would open just for that content. 

• 1 year later...
Landoman

A button to play in external player. Or add an item to menu dropdown.

Why? Internal player has resume function, external player also has resume function but not synced. External player can adjust audio, video, frame size etc etc etc.
also I can have multiple instances at the same time, ie i am playing multiple videos at once.

A possible solution is perhaps set by type e.g. tv shows internal player, movies external player. Just a thought. Simplest solution would be to just have an option to play in external player or internal in the menu which would override the default setting.

Emby Support, you are complicating matters when you do not need to.  There are a plethora of reason why people use external players for some instances and some not. Your internal player cannot adjust frame size, audio latency, output device and a lot more. The simplest solution would be to simply add an option > play in external player and keep everything else as is. Then people can choose when and where they want to use an external player. What if I want to watch 4 videos at the same time? Compare 4k vs 1080p? and so on. What if I want to check video to audio sync? colour .. and so on.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Landoman said:

A button to play in external player. Or add an item to menu dropdown.

Why? Internal player has resume function, external player also has resume function but not synced. External player can adjust audio, video, frame size etc etc etc.
also I can have multiple instances at the same time, ie i am playing multiple videos at once.

A possible solution is perhaps set by type e.g. tv shows internal player, movies external player. Just a thought. Simplest solution would be to just have an option to play in external player or internal in the menu which would override the default setting.

Emby Support, you are complicating matters when you do not need to.  There are a plethora of reason why people use external players for some instances and some not. Your internal player cannot adjust frame size, audio latency, output device and a lot more. The simplest solution would be to simply add an option > play in external player and keep everything else as is. Then people can choose when and where they want to use an external player. What if I want to watch 4 videos at the same time? Compare 4k vs 1080p? and so on. What if I want to check video to audio sync? colour .. and so on.

Hi, what Emby app are you asking about? A few of our apps already support external players.

Landoman

Im using emby theatre. I understand they support external players. I would like to use an external player sometimes and sometimes not.

6 hours ago, Landoman said:

Im using emby theatre. I understand they support external players. I would like to use an external player sometimes and sometimes not.

OK there's currently no way to do that, but this idea has come up before and is possible for the future. Thanks.

Landoman

As a workaround to anyone.  The browser version plays in the browser and has resume using its own internal player even though emby is set to use an external player.  The desktop theatre version it set to use external and does use it so no resume. The best way would be to just add a menu option with play with internal player or external player in the desktop theatre app.

Use a pop out player extension in the browser. Not ideal but it works.

Edited by Landoman

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, i have the same pain point. There are compatibility issue for Emby client to play some video, thus i have to change the play option to external player, but external player does not work perfectly with Emby client (for example the play record is not synced with Emby client) so i need to change the option aways. Hope can choose external player when playing specific video.

FrostByte

I got another example why this option could be useful with both Android apps because of a limitation of Exoplayer.

There are a couple extended versions of movies such as The Martian and Blackhawk Down where the Atmos track was spliced together and Exoplayer loses its position while external players like VLC do not. 

These two movies have been mentioned several times in the forum for having problems in several places throughout the movie and the defect is right on the disc.  All you have to do is go to Amazon and look at all the comments.

Until Exoplayer can deal with the problem then having an option to either always play these movies externally, or an option to select an external player on the fly would be beneficial.

@Audiomixer

• Agree 2

Audiomixer

@FrostByte 100% agree. I like using kodi maven build (can playback DV material) but unfortunately, emby only uses or can see VLC as external player and won’t see the various kodi versions i have installed. VLC is limited when it comes to dv so i just go into kodi straight away if needed for the movies frostbyte mentioned. 

Edited by Audiomixer
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
svyaznoy362

You can make an external player available before the movie starts. Otherwise, you have to go into the settings every time and switch between the system player and the external player.

Screenshot_1.jpg.7d06631b627ffbd3ffc1c8c52ca6043c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 year later...
eirik

Any chance of this being being reopened again? 

I am new to Emby and so far very happy with the product. I have been reluctant to buy the product earlier because I unfortunately have 70% of my movies and TV shows in ISO format. I did the mistake when backing up my Blu Ray and DVD discs in the past. It's just the main movie file without the menus, but still, the issue is to play the movies. So, I am really happy about the option of using external player, but as I would like to use the internal one when I can, it is annoying that you have to go to the overall system setting to change the player before watching a movie.

The above suggestion is good, but if difficult to add this, a probably easier way is just to add the internal player as option when you select the "external player" to use for a movie. I am using Emby on NVidia Shields.

I'll convert my files, but that will take a long, long time...

13 minutes ago, eirik said:

a probably easier way is just to add the internal player as option when you select the "external player" to use for a movie

Hi.  In the case of Android, we don't control this.  The Android system is the one producing that dialog.

eirik

Hi,

Ok, so the Emby player can't be added as an "external player" in that dialog? 

Would it be difficult to add "external player" option on the screen for a movie so the user can select either internal or external?

1 hour ago, eirik said:

Hi,

Ok, so the Emby player can't be added as an "external player" in that dialog? 

Would it be difficult to add "external player" option on the screen for a movie so the user can select either internal or external?

HI, yes this idea has come up before and is possible for future updates. Thanks.