Movies & TV Shows combine into one library

jeff729

jeff729

Emby 4.5.4.0 on Qnap 251+    I confess, I'm a NOOB on Emby & Qnap!

1) Please explain the difference between logging into Emby with a user name & password and Emby Connect with a user name & password.    The user names are the same, can the passwords be the same also?

2) I've followed 3 different how to install Emby on a Qnap guides found on the internet.  Everything seems to go well, but creating my libraries.   I first copied all my movies to the Qnap in the movies folder, and did the same with my TV Shows in the Qnap TV Shows folder.  Then installed Emby on the Qnap.   If I create the Movies library first, Emby takes All movies and All TV Shows and puts them combined into the Movies library.   Series TV shows are listed as separate entries as if they're separate movies.    If I delete that library and create a TV Shows library,  Emby again combines both Movies and TV Shows into the TV Shows library but now the series TV shows are only listed once in the library.   I've gone thru this several times with the same result.   I've followed the naming Movie format rules and the naming TV Shows format rules.    Obviously, I'm doing something wrong that someone preceding me has done and discovered the solution to.   Help please! 

If you simply must have my log files, please be specific about which files you need and how to find and access them.   I'm that new to Emby & Qnap!     Thanks! 

Happy2Play

What folder paths are you using when you set up your libraries?  Mixed content will be the only content type that will show them both.

As for logins Connect just offers you the means to not having to know your external address to connect to your server.  Example I have a domain name so I never need to use Connect.

Moving this topic to QNAP section.

jeff729

Folder path for Movies on the Qnap within Emby is:  /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA

Folder path for TV Shows on the Qnap within Emby is the same:  /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA

I tried this:  /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Multimedia/Movies     for the movie path, but it didn't like that and found nothing.    Same result with the TV Shows when I amended the path similarly for the TV Shows....it found nothing.   

Mixed content?   Perhaps I don't understand naming rules afterall.     Here's how I've named both:

Movies    (each movie has it's own folder, nested under the Movies folder)   ex;

Movies

Top Gun (1986)       (as a folder)

Top Gun (1986).mp4     (with the srt, nfo, and jpg files listed)

TV Shows   (each TV Show has it's own folder, nexted under the TV Shows folder)   ex:

TV Shows

Justified (2010)        (as a folder)

Season 1

Justified - S01E01 - Fire In the Hole.mp4

Justified - S01E02 - Riverbrook.mp4

Season 2

Justified - S02E02 - The Moonshine War.mp4

etc

Have I somehow made an error in my naming rules?

Thank you for the help! 

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, jeff729 said:

Folder path for TV Shows on the Qnap within Emby is the same:  /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA

I tried this:  /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Multimedia/Movies     for the movie path, but it didn't like that and found nothing.    Same result with the TV Shows when I amended the path similarly for the TV Shows....it found nothing.  

Might be a permissions issue but the paths should be to specific libraries as you tried "/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Multimedia/Movies" "/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Multimedia/TV Shows", not a root folder.

6 minutes ago, jeff729 said:

Mixed content?   Perhaps I don't understand naming rules afterall.     Here's how I've named both:

Just an not sure how you are seening them merges as it is not possible unless using Mixed content type as Movies and TV are separate types and can not be mixed.

Structure and naming look fine.

A dev or fellow QNAP user will have to comment more.

seanbuff
15 minutes ago, jeff729 said:

As a fellow QNAP user, if you have set up Movies and TV Shows as shared folders in the QNAP, they should be displayed along side the /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA directories.

image.png.b0625bc1c28897035dd7a2a80acddd8d.png

In your instance, you should be using the paths /share/Multimedia/Movies and /share/Multimedia/TV Shows respectively, not as a sub dir of CACHEDEV1_DATA

jeff729

Happy2Play:    I just tried this again per your suggestion:    share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Multimedia/Movies    which makes perfect sense....then ran the scan library files command.   I watched the circle go to 96%, 97%, 98%....finally 100%.   Went to Emby Home, clicked on Movies and it had zero movies in it.   I had great hopes, but it wasn't to be.

When you say "Mixed Content"  are you referring to file extensions?   Some movies are mp4, some are m4v, some are mkv.    Since I've already separated movies from tv shows on the Qnap, it seems odd that they're being combined in Emby. 

Seanbuff:  My folders are NOT displayed along side the /share/CAHCEDEV1_DEV directories.   Is my problem that I didn't SHARE the folder??

I tried to follow your vertical path above, but wasn't even getting  past the first step!    Instead, I watched a Youtube "How to Create Shared Folders on the QNAP NAS"  then did the same to my Movies & TV Shows folders.   Neither were listed as shared before I did this.   For other newbies that might have the same problem, I did this:  In QNAP, go to Control Panel, Privilege, Shared Folders. On the top, click on Create Shared Folder.  Name it Movies.  Click on Enter path manually,  find the Multimedia folder, click on it and then select the Movies folders.   Create this again for the TV Shows folder.    It may have been unnecessary, but I rebooted the QNAP.    In Emby, I removed both libraries and started rebuilding them again.     This time, they did NOT combine and all appears to be correct.    SOLVED!    

Seanbuff, thank you, thank you, thank you.   When you mentioned the shared folders, that keyed me to look for it.  

I did the library setting as:  /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Multimedia/Movies.  I didn't try your suggestion of: /share/Multimedia/Movies.   At this point, does it make a difference?  Removing libraries and adding libraries is pretty easy.   I could delete and redo if it makes a difference in performance..   

To both of you Gentlemen,  again, thank  you for your expertise and willingness to help.

seanbuff
19 minutes ago, jeff729 said:

I did the library setting as:  /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Multimedia/Movies.  I didn't try your suggestion of: /share/Multimedia/Movies.   At this point, does it make a difference?  Removing libraries and adding libraries is pretty easy.   I could delete and redo if it makes a difference in performance..   

At this point, I don't think it's necessary, it's just cleaner.

Glad it got it all sorted out though 👌🏽