Display Options

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

My brother in law is watching movies on my server using the AndroidTV app on his 4K Sony TV.  I have him set to 5Mbps on the server end because I have Comcast and they suck. 

Inside of the Emby app, there is a section for Display Mode when watching a movie.  On mine, I have about 15 different selections.  Everything from 720/60 to 2160/23.98.  Keep in mind that I'm direct playing.

When he watches something, all he has is 1080/60.  Is there a reason that's his only option?  How does Emby determine the resolution to allow? 

13 hours ago, Spyderturbo007 said:

When he watches something, all he has is 1080/60.  Is there a reason that's his only option?  How does Emby determine the resolution to allow? 

Hi.  That would be because the system he is using doesn't support display mode switching.  This is related to the device, not the content.

Spyderturbo007

Gotcha.  So even if the movie is 4k, he will only ever get 1080p?  It's a 4K Sony TV with Android TV, so I just assumed you could get 4K on it.

So does that mean that he won't get HDR either?

Edited by Spyderturbo007

The video still plays in 4K (and HDR if supported).  The mode reported is erroneous on these TVs and the next version of the app won't show it due to that.

jrwalte

is that true even if emby is having to transcode? That HDR stays intact? I would of thought it would have to be untouched and direct play to support HDR?

@OP with the low quality of 5Mbps, you'd probably want 720p as max resolution anyway. 1080 really needs 8mbps+ to be decent and 4k 15+

9 minutes ago, jrwalte said:

is that true even if emby is having to transcode? That HDR stays intact

No, that is a different question :).  Right now, HDR data will be lost on a transcode.

jrwalte

That's what I thought. I was confused, since the OP was talking about a situation where transcoding would be happening :)