What to do with STRM files?

sundevil67

sundevil67

I was trying to see if I could access my provider's VOD options through Emby, and managed to convert my m3u to .strm, but can't seem to find any instructions for what to do next. Anyone able to point me to some kind of instruction? This is all I could dig up, and it's not all that helpful I'm afraid. Thanks!

kanipek
On 12/30/2020 at 10:15 AM, sundevil67 said:

I was trying to see if I could access my provider's VOD options through Emby, and managed to convert my m3u to .strm, but can't seem to find any instructions for what to do next. Anyone able to point me to some kind of instruction? This is all I could dig up, and it's not all that helpful I'm afraid. Thanks!

All I did was add the .strm files to the appropriate library.

For example if I wanted to add say the Mandalorian I would create a folder in the appropriate library folder (E:\Tv Shows\T\The Mandalorian) then season folders. Add the .strm files to the appropriate season folder and either wait to let Emby scan the info or do a manual scan. It was that simple for me. Movies are do in similar fashion.

• Like 1

sundevil67

Thanks @kanipek; that makes sense now. I just didn't know what to do with the STRM files after I found a way to convert my m3u! @LukeThat bit of info, which probably seemed obvious to the author of the documentation, didn't occur to me!

Hi.  There is an example of one used as a movie at the end of that article but we will try to make it more clear. 

Thanks!

In a nutshell the STRM just replaces the local media file.  So you would have the strm file instead of a mp4 or mkv for example.

You setup the movie library or tv show library otherwise exactly as if it were an mp4 or mkv file and follow our normal naming suggestions.

Does that make more sense? If so I can add that to the KB article.

On 1/4/2021 at 12:19 PM, cayars said:

If so I can add that to the KB article.

I already did that :) 

4 minutes ago, rickjw said:

Is there any Advantages from changing the file extensions  from .mkv or .mp4 or .avi   to .strm

Hi, you mean actually renaming an existing mkv to strm? That won't work.

Happy2Play

No as a mkv, mp4 or avi actually contain audio and video codecs.  A strm file is just a file containing a path to actual media ie the mkv, mp4 or avi file.

So in short a strm file is considered the same as a shortcut file.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1