Fire TV plays only white noise when playing 24-bit PCM

crusher11

crusher11

Presumably it should transcode, but it doesn't.

While I'm here, what does "Playback mode" actually do? Why does it default to a completely different frame rate to the source video?

2 hours ago, crusher11 said:

Presumably it should transcode, but it doesn't.

Can you provide a sample for testing?

2 hours ago, crusher11 said:

Playback Mode is one of the options when you select the settings cog in the OSD. Same menu as Stats for Nerds.

pcm24.mkv 2.96 MB · 0 downloads

This has Vorbis audio not PCM.  Is this the right sample?  If so, is it consistent with all vorbis audio?

crusher11
6 hours ago, ebr said:

You mean Playback Correction...?

No. It's another option in the same menu. It allows you to choose resolution and frame rate.

crusher11

Actually never mind, that sample is the 16-bit commentary track not the 24-bit film audio. I have no idea how to cut a sample then.

12 hours ago, crusher11 said:

My bad, I misremembered the name. It's "Display Mode".

Okay.  Did you answer your own question?

12 hours ago, crusher11 said:

... It allows you to choose resolution and frame rate.

crusher11

No, because...what does it actually do? It's not an option on any other app I've seen. Is it an interpolation thing, or does it force a transcode to meet a certain frame rate, or what? Why does it not default to the same settings as the title being played? The user was trying to watch something the other day and transcode speed was 22fps on a 23.76fps movie, which was obviously unwatchable. But if you set Display Mode to 23.976fps, instead of its default 50fps, transcode speed jumps to 35fps and all is well.

I had another go at the sample. This one has both audio tracks, so fingers crossed it's worked.

pcm24bit.mkv

2 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

what does it actually do?

It changes the display mode to what you select.  This is refresh rate and resolution of your device.  The same thing you could do in its settings/menu as well.

3 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Why does it not default to the same settings as the title being played?

Because you didn't select the option to do that.  Look in playback settings.  There is a cost (time and ugly) to switching display modes so not everyone wants to do that and it isn't really necessary for a lot of content.

10 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

So why was the transcode so much slower, then?

The fps you see on a transcode has nothing to do with the frame rate of the video.  That is just a report on how fast the item is transcoding.  I cannot answer why it was too slow at that particular moment.

22 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

I had another go at the sample. This one has both audio tracks, so fingers crossed it's worked.

This sample direct plays with normal audio on both my Android TV and my Fire TV stick.  Does it produce the issue for you?  If so, it must be something with the outboard equipment somehow.

crusher11
14 minutes ago, ebr said:

The fps you see on a transcode has nothing to do with the frame rate of the video.  That is just a report on how fast the item is transcoding.  I cannot answer why it was too slow at that particular moment.

I can make the transcode speed go up and down at will by adjusting Display Mode. I find it hard to believe there's no connection.

crusher11
19 minutes ago, ebr said:

This sample direct plays with normal audio on both my Android TV and my Fire TV stick.  Does it produce the issue for you?

Yes it does.

1 hour ago, crusher11 said:

Yes it does.

I would check the audio settings on the Fire then to see if there are any adjustments you can make.

Sorry but I cannot reproduce any problem so it is very hard to know what your problem is.   Have you tried different cables, connections, inputs, etc?