Cast & Crew per episode & season (fetched from IMDB as TVDB has incomplete info)

GiGo

I have searched but couldn't see it.

I love knowing who's in what episode, program and film.  I have noticed and it bugs me that it groups all the cast together in the Main Page of the program.  For example as I am currently watching S01E02 of Criminal UK;

Oh I know that actress, whats she been in?

So I'm on episode 2, this is normally where I get phone out and check out the currently playing media, which takes me to the episode (I'm doing the screenshots on my browser for ease), this shows the information of the file etc... which is great, but couldn't we have Cast & Crew in the Episode down here aswell, so instead I have to click on the IMDB link, navigate away from Emby and check the Actor/Actree Filmography on the IMDB website.

image.thumb.png.aad24629e2a7d351f37c8a96171588fd.png

For this example I was interested in seeing what else 'Stacey' had been in, the actress "Hayley Atwell" is listed on the main Program page, it would make more logical sense to be able see this information under each episode aswell as the main program page;

image.thumb.png.460d1eb54e24c34037e22c4111cd086b.png

Personally it would also make sense to have each series/season cast under each folder aswell.  I would assume this would be easy to scrape from IMDB/TVDB etc....?

Edited by GiGo
edited title to reflect slight change in request
  • Like 2

Hi, we already show the cast and crew at the episode level. Do you have it in your metadata on the episodes?

3 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, we already show the cast and crew at the episode level. Do you have it in your metadata on the episodes?

Having looked further, I get only the odd actor on random episodes. So I'm guessing it's not in my metadata. How can I add it, or should it be automatically added? 

clarkss12

I was going to post about the same issue. 

Some episodes have cast, but most do not.  The last time I checked, IMDB listed the cast for each episode that was not showing on my devices.  And, you are correct there was no information about the cast members in the metadata.  So, the question, how do you get the data to populate the metadata for the episode cast members?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Luke said:

So this is Criminal S01E02, no people;

image.thumb.png.8dfd4edb8a7952e16eaac645175d0bff.png

However I added Only Fools and Horses the other day, which was added after Criminal (thinking it might be a delay in fetching data), and this is the meta for it, which is not complete at Nicolad Lynhurst and David Jason should be on that episode list really;

image.thumb.png.09ae039830542f7c1723f8e0ff8a30af.png

So can I assume that the meta data is missing the TVDB? Looking at the TVDB all episode cast & crew is missing; 

image.thumb.png.c6a7746e0171f4262aafe3f13b2fc58d.png

Is there anyway of having it pull cast and crew from IMDB as that seems never to fail in providing all the details I need.

As a side note I have just re-organised the preference of meta data providers and listed The TVDB as last in a hope that this may update or they have more information that TVDB.

I've seemed to have answered my own question, it's missing metadata from the TVDB.  Any chance we can get the episode data from IMDB instead?

2 minutes ago, clarkss12 said:

I was going to post about the same issue. 

Some episodes have cast, but most do not.  The last time I checked, IMDB listed the cast for each episode that was not showing on my devices.  And, you are correct there was no information about the cast members in the metadata.  So, the question, how do you get the data to populate the metadata for the episode cast members?

See my post above, I'm guessing it's because the TVDB doesn't have the information, where as IMDB does.  I have changed my request.

Edited by GiGo

MBSki

I'd also like to see the cast categorized into guest stars and the actors that are in every episode. Most of the time I go to look at the cast, i'm checking to see who the guest stars are and what else they've been in. Makes it more difficult when the list is combined.

• Like 2

We are not combining anything here.  We are showing the information the metadata providers give to us.  If you look up that episode for "Fools and Horses" on thetvdb you will see that those same guest stars and writers are defined there.  So, it all comes down to what is available from the providers.

4 hours ago, GiGo said:

Any chance we can get the episode data from IMDB instead?

Probably not in the near term as that data is not available without very high license fees.

3 hours ago, ebr said:

We are not combining anything here.  We are showing the information the metadata providers give to us.  If you look up that episode for "Fools and Horses" on thetvdb you will see that those same guest stars and writers are defined there.  So, it all comes down to what is available from the providers.

Probably not in the near term as that data is not available without very high license fees.

Could it be possible as a plug in that would work with an IMDB Pro account? So that IMDB knows that they are getting their 30 pieces of silver. 🙂

12 minutes ago, Beav said:

Could it be possible as a plug in that would work with an IMDB Pro account? So that IMDB knows that they are getting their 30 pieces of silver. 🙂

I guess we'd have to find out if an Imdb Pro account grants you api access. 

10 hours ago, ebr said:

That I did not realise, but considering its an Amazon company I should have guessed!

I just hope that everyone can get decent meta data when tvdb changes there model.

Thanks for the clarification. 

• 3 weeks later...
ginjaninja

its the opposites of the ops request but if as it seems some are interested to remove duplication at the episode level, this may be of interest.

it would be great if the episode metadata fetcher had three settings

1. normal - internet provider episode people
  2. Internet provider episode people ∪ internet provider series people (episode + series)
  3. Internet provider episode people \ internet provider series people (episode except series)

Happy2Play

IMDB is never used. and probably never will unless they lower their fees.  Last time I looked it was like over $10,000 a year.

As for what you are seeing it is what TVDB provides at episode level (sometimes director/writer/guest stars.), the IMDB id is coming from TVDB.

On 17/01/2021 at 22:55, Happy2Play said:

IMDB is never used. and probably never will unless they lower their fees.  Last time I looked it was like over $10,000 a year.

As for what you are seeing it is what TVDB provides at episode level (sometimes director/writer/guest stars.), the IMDB id is coming from TVDB.

$10,000 a year, thats a fair but of dollar, I didn't realise until earlier in the year that Amazon owned IMDB, I gues whats why it's so feature rich on Prime Video with it's 'X-Ray' in videos, one of the best things I've ever seen, so much detail in 'X-Ray' but I bet not many people use it.

Shame the fees are so high, would be amazing feature to have in Emby. I don't get why the TVDB is so far behind IMDB when it has lots of input of many users.

You are being much too conservative. 10K a year is nothing compared to the actual cost. Here is the actual cost...

mUlna6U.png

The IMDB service above: https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/IMDb-MovieTVOTT-Data/prodview-yeuyizioqmfsy

All IMDB services and prices: https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/seller-profile?id=0af153a3-339f-48c2-8b42-3b9fa26d3367

Edited by speechles

1 hour ago, speechles said:

You are being much too conservative. 10K a year is nothing compared to the actual cost. Here is the actual cost...

mUlna6U.png

The IMDB service above: https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/IMDb-MovieTVOTT-Data/prodview-yeuyizioqmfsy

All IMDB services and prices: https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/seller-profile?id=0af153a3-339f-48c2-8b42-3b9fa26d3367

🤑 WOW! That's crazy!?!?! That's a year! Fooking hell!

They are very proud of their data and they cater to the "big boys" (think networks) where that amount is nothing.

However, that is also the answer to this question:

3 hours ago, GiGo said:

I don't get why the TVDB is so far behind IMDB

That's easy.  When you have vast, official and reliable resources, the data is going to be pretty good.  When you rely on volunteer providers - maybe not quite as good (but still pretty darned good considering that disparity of resources).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ebr said:

They are very proud of their data and they cater to the "big boys" (think networks) where that amount is nothing.

However, that is also the answer to this question:

That's easy.  When you have vast, official and reliable resources, the data is going to be pretty good.  When you rely on volunteer providers - maybe not quite as good (but still pretty darned good considering that disparity of resources).

Yes, being paid to do something does inspire people to do a job well. I'm not surprised they are proud of there data. 

Who knows with The TVDB switching this summer maybe they will compete with IMDB someday.