Linux OS?

jasonmcroy

jasonmcroy

Hello everyone.

I am thinking about moving over to using the Linux OS on all of my computers at home. I so far have installed Ubuntu and Mint on two different computers to check them out. So far I think I like Mint the best.

I am currently still using Windows on my main HTPC computer that has the Media Browser server on it since that is what is the easiest to set everything up. 

I wanted some feedback from anyone familiar with using Linux as to what is your favorite Linux OS or which one would you recommend using the Media Browser server on? 

I am waiting for an easier method of installing the server on a Linux system before moving over to that environment on my HTPC since I am very new to this and it looks like the current method of setting it up is a little more than I can handle at the moment. I am sure if I read up more on it and played around with it I could figure it out, but easier is always better! 

I am also going to be in need of Live TV on the Linux machine and I am not sure what options exist for that right now. 

Any feedback from you guys would be awesome!

-Jason

I prefer ubuntu. So many use it So its easy to get support. Installing mb3 server is super easy. Tvheadend is my tvserver of choice. And I guess you will be using Kodi as client. When using ubuntu its easy to stay up to date with latest and greatest kodi and tvheadend since the devs have ppa repo. That is if You like bleeding edge.

jasonmcroy

Thanks for your input.

I am doing some research on installing programs that aren't already listed in the software downloads section. It looks complicated to me atm. I am sure it will be easy once I understand it better.

-Jason

thefirstofthe300

I am happy to hear that you are thinking about going all Linux in your house. I have been very happy with my Linux stuff as it has performed wonderfully for me. I personally would say that you can take your pick of Mint or Ubuntu (although Mint is meant to be very user friendly, even more so than Ubuntu). Once the MediaBrowser PPA in development goes live, everything will be super easy to install on either distro. For now though, start to learn how to use the terminal. Once you get the hang of it, you will find it to be your best friend in the whole world. ☺ There are a number of good YouTube videos and other resources for learning Linux and specifically the terminal. I hope Linux treats you as well as it has treated me.

im85288

+1 for Tvheadend as the Live TV server under Linux. One thing to bear in mind though is that currently the only Live TV servers compatible with MB3 are windows based. It is fine for those of us using Kodi though as they have support for Tvheadend built in and there are ways to distribute your channels using the IPTV plugin so that other clients (web, roku etc) can access them

fantaxp7

Sorry to hijack, but those of you who use tvheadend do you use an hd homerun prime?

I have tvheadened installed but have issues with installing the drivers for my hd homerun prime.

Thanks

jasonmcroy

Thanks for the responses.

I installed Ubuntu on my laptop and an older computer to play around with. I am liking it so far. I have read some tutorials and plan to play with that some tonight.

I am also going to look at the pvr options as well.

I did install xbmc gotham from the website but I don't see ant pvr options in there like in the windows version. It is usually under disabled addons but that module isn't in there that I can see. Am I just looking in the wrong place?

Thanks again!

-Jason

Sorry to hijack, but those of you who use tvheadend do you use an hd homerun prime?

I have tvheadened installed but have issues with installing the drivers for my hd homerun prime.

Thanks

I'm using dvb-c/s 

No experience with hd homerun, suggest you try the #hts IRC channel.

jasonmcroy

Maybe you need to install pvr-addons package ? I think it depends on what package you installed originally, or what repository you use.

I suggest you check the stickies @ http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=52 

Depending what gfx card you have there are some xbmc branches that are far superior the official release. 

Thanks for your response. I did finally see some PVR addons available in the software center for different PVR programs.

I haven't installed any as of yet, but I have been looking them over to see which one I want to try first.

Thanks.

-Jason