mpv conf no longer in use?

Itzdibbyyx
Go to solution Solved by sooty234,

Itzdibbyyx

Like many of you, i suffered from the blue screen on HDR content, which by coming here i've now solved, however i have now noticed that the HDR content is now dim/darker than it was before because as far as i can tell we're now using libmpv instead of mpv.exe and as a result of that; the mpv.conf file i spent too long getting just right for my display to ignore is now not in use?

I've tried to set up the mpv.exe in the system.old...etc folder as an external player but that doesnt seem to do anything?

is there a new place that i should copy my mpv.conf file to?

Itzdibbyyx

I've copy and pasted it all over the place, yes i am (HDR content plays its just dark and not as good as it used to be), yes HDR is on.

sooty234

Alright, a few things first.

d3d11-output-csp=

That can't be set at runtime, so what you put at the top of your config is what's used for everything. That means you've deliberately defeated HDR, as you set it to srgb. The entry in your HDR profile does nothing. Remove that command, completely.

You've got some crazy values. Saturation=28?!?!? 😬 In the config I'm giving you, it's at zero. The only one I've raised is the gamma, as I've found that the Windows curve seems be on the low end for that.

Your deinterlacing profile won't work because, well...it's written incorrectly. I've fixed that. And you make sure that deinterlacing is set to 'no' in Theater, if you want to use that profile.

You don't need the 720p profile, so that's also been removed.

Also, make sure you use, unset (for mpv.conf), for hardware acceleration in Theater.

So give this a try, and see what happens;

## VIDEO ##

hwdec=auto
hwdec-codecs=all
opengl-pbo=yes
dither-depth=auto
deband=yes
deband-iterations=2
deband-grain=0
saturation=0
brightness=0
contrast=0
gamma=7

## SCALING ##

scale=ewa_lanczossharp
dscale=mitchell
cscale=ewa_lanczos
linear-downscaling=yes
sigmoid-upscaling=yes

## AUDIO ##

audio-exclusive=yes
audio-stream-silence=yes

## AUTO-PROFILES ##

[Deinterlace]
profile-desc=Deinterlace
profile-cond=p["video-frame-info/interlaced"]
hwdec=d3d11va-copy
vf=lavfi-bwdif

[HDR]
profile-desc=HDR stuff
profile-cond=p["video-params/primaries"]=="bt.2020"
deband=no
gamma=7
gamut-clipping=no
hdr-compute-peak=no

sooty234
4 minutes ago, Itzdibbyyx said:

Screenshot_10.jpg

Yup! You can't do that. It won't work correctly. You either let Windows use its defaults, or you use the same as I have mine. What you have done, is again defeated the swapchain. 

PrincessClevage

I have mine set to 12 bit full rgb is this a problem?

I have observed that if I play a move with receiver turned off then turn the receiver on while movie is playing it will blue screen and reboot pc every time

sooty234
1 hour ago, PrincessClevage said:

I have mine set to 12 bit full rgb is this a problem?

I have observed that if I play a move with receiver turned off then turn the receiver on while movie is playing it will blue screen and reboot pc every time

What you're doing is a little different, because you're lowering your refresh rate to 30Hz. I would suggest 10bit and not 12bit, though. And maybe just run it like I have mine. It's a more 'natural' disposition for the display/GPU. Forcing it to run full RGB doesn't improve anything, and can cause issues with the way you have configured it.

PrincessClevage
On 12/30/2020 at 12:42 PM, sooty234 said:

What you're doing is a little different, because you're lowering your refresh rate to 30Hz. I would suggest 10bit and not 12bit, though. And maybe just run it like I have mine. It's a more 'natural' disposition for the display/GPU. Forcing it to run full RGB doesn't improve anything, and can cause issues with the way you have configured it.

When set to rgb my gpu only offers 12bit or 8bit for some reason. For the rgb it is most likely just in my head but  I have convinced myself I can see a difference in colour from rgb to any of the other reduction settings

sooty234
13 hours ago, PrincessClevage said:

When set to rgb my gpu only offers 12bit or 8bit for some reason. For the rgb it is most likely just in my head but  I have convinced myself I can see a difference in colour from rgb to any of the other reduction settings

Ha! Well, the mind's eye can be a powerful thing :D