4.5.4.0 - Roku clients slowing or unplayable - Ubuntu

JakeByr

In the latest server version, 4.5.4 there is an error which causes Roku clients to slow down on browsing and they become unable to start any playback. I had to revert to 4.5.2 to solve the issue. I'll to capture some logs to get more information.

@Happy2Play please move my posting to a new topic. Thanks !

Here is a log dump from the most recent. I cloned the container (emby-server 4.5.2) then updated to 4.5.4 and went to roku to open a session and play a file. It times out, a lot of response 500 messages when accessed through roku. When played through the web-client it works fine. On 4.5.2 everything works as expected.

embyserver.txt

Yes I am using apache. Did something change with 4.5.4? My current config files with 4.5.2 and everything up to it have worked fine. Is there something new that I need to pass along?

This is my reverse proxy config:

<VirtualHost *:443>
	ServerName emby.mydomain.media
	ServerAdmin myemail@mydomain.media

CustomLog /var/log/apache2/emby-access.log combined
        ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/emby-error.log

<proxy *>
	AddDefaultCharset off
	Order Allow,Deny
	Allow from all
	</proxy>

ProxyRequests     Off
	ProxyPreserveHost On

ProxyPass "/embywebsocket" "ws://192.168.XX.XX:8096/embywebsocket"
	ProxyPassReverse "/embywebsocket" "ws://192.168.XX.XX:8096/embywebsocket"

ProxyPass "/" "http://192.168.XX.XX:8096/"
	ProxyPassReverse "/" "http://192.168.XX.XX:8096/"
	SSLEngine On
	SSLProtocol all -SSLv3 -TLSv1 -TLSv1.1
    SSLCipherSuite ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:ECDHE-ECDSA-CHACHA20-POLY1305:ECDHE-RSA-CHACHA20-POLY1305:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-SHA384:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA384:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-SHA256:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256
	SSLHonorCipherOrder On
	SSLCompression off
	SSLSessionTickets   off
    SSLCertificateFile /etc/letsencrypt/live/mydomain.media/fullchain.pem
    SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/letsencrypt/live/mydomain.media/privkey.pem
	Header always set Strict-Transport-Security "max-age=15768000"
</VirtualHost>

Edited by JakeByr
added config

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t tried again as I don’t know where to go. I and leaving my server on 4.5.2 until I have more time to investigate. The reverse proxy config I’ve been using has worked without issues for a long time. That’s why I asl if there is something new in 4.5.4 that I might not know about that needs adjusted. I’ll relook I to this issue.

pir8radio
4 hours ago, JakeByr said:

I haven’t tried again as I don’t know where to go. I and leaving my server on 4.5.2 until I have more time to investigate. The reverse proxy config I’ve been using has worked without issues for a long time. That’s why I asl if there is something new in 4.5.4 that I might not know about that needs adjusted. I’ll relook I to this issue.

you can always pm me and I can enable a guest account for you to test.    I've kind of been using my reverse proxy setup (running latest beta) as a proving ground.  so I might help point you in the correct direction.

I just re-checked my clone of the setup that has been upgrade to the 4.5.4 server release and I am still getting the same issues. I'll sit tight until the next server release.

I upgraded that system to the beta server 4.6.10 and now I am able to get further by seeing into the media folders themselves but playing any item still takes a long time, shots out a timeout error and errors out. I see errors around ffprobe and the video failing to play. I do not see any errors on my reverse proxy though, everything comes through as normal. If this is an incompatibility with apache2, I'd be hard pressed to jump ship and learn nginx just for this one container. I doubt that is the case otherwise more people on the forum would be discussing this.

embyserver.txt

Edited by JakeByr
Added error logs

pir8radio
2 hours ago, JakeByr said:

I upgraded that system to the beta server 4.6.10 and now I am able to get further by seeing into the media folders themselves but playing any item still takes a long time, shots out a timeout error and errors out. I see errors around ffprobe and the video failing to play. I do not see any errors on my reverse proxy though, everything comes through as normal. If this is an incompatibility with apache2, I'd be hard pressed to jump ship and learn nginx just for this one container. I doubt that is the case otherwise more people on the forum would be discussing this.

embyserver.txt 2.22 MB · 1 download

I'm not sure how many apache/roku users there actually are.  pm me a guest account on your server, if you want, can see if i can see anything. has to be in the proxy config.  

Sent you the info for the guest account. I might try and run the docker container and spin that up with the latest image to see if those issues still persist.

Edit: I'm pretty sure it's related to my apache2 config. I have tried updating to the beta, and a fresh run at it through docker in a new environment without all of my old data in it. The only thing I didn't change was the apache2 configuration.

Edit#2: It is for sure something to do with my apache2 configuration. I setup NGINX with the config from pir8radio and it works. Now the question goes, should I switch my reverse proxy and re-write/build all of my configs or is there a solution to get apache2 working? I'm still shocked that if this is really the case there are are not others with this issue.

Edited by JakeByr
new information
  • Thanks 1

I don't have a definitive answer about what you should do but I know from experience on this forum there are many others running apache.

pir8radio
On 1/14/2021 at 9:35 AM, JakeByr said:

Sent you the info for the guest account. I might try and run the docker container and spin that up with the latest image to see if those issues still persist.

Edit: I'm pretty sure it's related to my apache2 config. I have tried updating to the beta, and a fresh run at it through docker in a new environment without all of my old data in it. The only thing I didn't change was the apache2 configuration.

Edit#2: It is for sure something to do with my apache2 configuration. I setup NGINX with the config from pir8radio and it works. Now the question goes, should I switch my reverse proxy and re-write/build all of my configs or is there a solution to get apache2 working? I'm still shocked that if this is really the case there are are not others with this issue.

got your PM but i couldn't log in using the info you sent me..     Of course I'm going to say switch to nginx..  😆   Nginx is taking the global lead too!  🙂  But that's probably due to everyone getting on cloudflar's CDN which runs nginx.   but in the graph you can see equal amounts of apache users that drop, increases on nginx, so apache users are switching to nginx..   Just sayin'

image.png.5fc8b0ca8c277b2242ff80d0ce968646.png

Edited by pir8radio

I've started the work to switch over to Nginx. I'm almost through writing all the configurations for my local DNS and then will deploy it to my VPS which will rid me of this issue. I don't know what the issues is/was. All good though learning new stuff is fun!

• Like 1