Is it possible to have multiple rwd/ffwd speeds for scrubbing in video, along wih preview thumbnails

ecrispy

ecrispy

I read previous posts on this, the official response from Emby team seems to be that only skip is supported, not real rwd/ffwd at different speeds. Which is fine because the end result is the same - there should be a way to do it quickly vs at 1x speed.

In FireTv app if I use the rwd/ffwd it only does it at 1x. Hitting it again does nothing. On Roku app, on Plex, Kodi, every other streaming app, the behavior is that if you do it repeatedly the speed increases, and the amount it jumps increases. 

I believe this should be possible to implement without any big changes underneath, right?

My other request is that if preview thumbnails in bif are available, show them like Roku does - i.e. a full row of them vs just one. It makes it nicer. 

• Like 1

Spaceboy

you're supposed to move to the timeline and hold down the right arrow button as far as i remember. personally i much prefer skip

Hi.  Yes, if you hold the button down, it will skip progressively faster.  You can also use chapters to jump in larger chunks.

ecrispy

If I hold down rwd/ffwd, or the d-pad buttons on the remote, why doesnt it become faster?

I'm trying on timeline and its the same speed too.

What, exactly, are you trying to accomplish (how far are you trying to go)?  With visual seeking the speed remains the same because you couldn't see the thumbs otherwise.  But, it is still pretty fast.  To skip further, you can use chapter points.

If you don't have thumbnails, then the skipping does move progressively faster as you hold the button down.

ecrispy

Ok so that probably explains it. I do have thumbnails so it only goes at 1x speed, and without them would increase, is that correct?

I'd suggest in this case that even with thumbnails enabled, higher speeds should be present, just like on Roku. In Roku I see an entire row of thumbnails, not just 1, and it still has 3 speeds for rwd/ffwd. It would be great to have the same.

ecrispy
On 12/27/2020 at 7:20 AM, ebr said:

What, exactly, are you trying to accomplish (how far are you trying to go)?  With visual seeking the speed remains the same because you couldn't see the thumbs otherwise.  But, it is still pretty fast.  To skip further, you can use chapter points.

If you don't have thumbnails, then the skipping does move progressively faster as you hold the button down.

Would it be possible to implement skip +/- 10s with d-pad up/down, possibly with increasing skip or configurable skip interval? I think that could work very well.

The reason I'm asking is right now, with previews generated, its cumbersome. If I just use rwd/ffwd, its only at 1x. And to use chapters, you have to hit multiple keystrokes and it jumps too far. Compare that to just skipping 5/10/30s which could be done without any UI just using d-pad/arrow keys.

• Like 1

hoppel118

Configurable skip steps would be fantastic.

In Kodi it’s as follows:

• Skip steps: -30min, -10min, -5min, -3min, -60sec, -30sec, -10sec, 10sec, 30sec, 60sec, 3min, 5min, 10min, 30min
  • Skip delay: 750ms

How it works in Kodi is perfect in my opinion. The skip delay gives you the time to correct too many button presses.

Regards Hoppel

Edited by hoppel118