Emby on Ubuntu and media on Windows

Jonathon

Jonathon

I have Emby running on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS which is a VM on a Windows 2019 server.  The media being played is stored on the Windows server, and shared out so the Emby server accesses the shares using CIFS.

This works great most of the time, but I keep running into errors on the Ubuntu server saying the Windows server "has not responded in 180 seconds.".  I assume this is a CIFS issue.

Has anyone run into this and found a resolution?  Would it be better for me to install NFS on the Windows Server and access the shares from Ubuntu as NFS instead of SMB?

Jon

Hi there, how did you import the libraries into Emby Server? Did you use \\ unc paths in emby library setup?

Jonathon

I used the mount location under "Folder" and entered the unc path in "Shared Network Folder":

image.png.fff29e4f86e4077f5946ebcac2b0f830.png

We played movies all day yesterday with minimal issues.  The problem seems to when playing large files, the Windows share seems to become unresponsive.  After the 180 seconds is over, the video starts playing again. 

I definitely don't think this is an Emby issue, so I am looking for a best practice suggestion.  Emby server is more responsive when running on the Linux VM instead of running directly on the Windows host, that's why I am running in this configuration.

Thanks!

Jon

Jonathon
1 hour ago, Luke said:

When this happens, what Emby app are you playing with?

I am using the Fire TV app.  I just changed my file sharing to NFS mounts instead of SMB mounts.  I will report back after watching a movie and if this fixes the timeout issues.