App Unlock questions

ecrispy
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

ecrispy

1. App unlock is permanent right? Is there any way to check if I unlocked it. The Play store entry has no indication since the app itself is free, and I'm pretty sure I purchased the app unlock a while ago.

2. Why is playback free for Roku, Apple, Samsung, LG but not for Android? Do these companies subsidize Emby or have a deal? Or is Android development that much harder? Or is this a business decision?

3. Emby app which is unlocked on one FireStick will also be unlocked on another one with same account, right? 

4. If I want to use the client on my FireTv and Shield, I have to purchase the app unlock twice right (for use with non-premiere server) because the app store is different, right? Is there any way to decrease costs in this case? 

Playback is free on Roku because when the application was originally developed it was allowing community participation on GitHub. The original Emby app was actually a fork of the earlier Plex application. This was based on the older SDKA Roku was using originally. There were several contributors to the first iteration of the Emby on Roku. I was one of those people (fact: there were only 5 or so of us) who was contributing code back then. Since the migration to RSGA and creating the new application on Roku using a new code base we felt it would be incorrect to expect users to now purchase the application. Instead we felt it better to keep LiveTV on the Roku as the premiere feature. The Roku app will allow free unlimited playback but not LiveTV. The app store on Roku at the time did not have a clean way to introduce an unlock. Therefore one was never built. This has remained because it has always been this way.

Edited by speechles

• Solution

1) Yes it is permanent.  You should be able to find the transaction in your Google account.

2) It is basically a business decision.  Some subset of people have to pay in order for those that use for free to do so.

3) Yes

4) Emby Premiere will give you all the apps and features.  This is our one way for everything.

Thanks for your support