Where does Emby get it's guide data? It appears to be suffering from the same error as Schedules Direct

Ronstang

Ronstang

For some reason the guide data on Schedules direct would get out of whack for the Sony Movie Channel occasionally and it usually lasted weeks or a month.  The shows would be in the right order for the day but the start and stop times for each were wrong so you would end up recording 30 minutes....45 minutes....or an hour for a movie when it was supposed to be an hour and a half.  The guide data on my cable box is always right but for the Sony channel the guide data from Schedules Direct doesn't always match on times.  Sometimes the run time is correct but the start and stop times are off so you end up with 30 minutes of one movie and and hour of another and sometimes the run time is way too short and you get a subset of what you should record.

I figured this would go away with the Emby guide but it seems to be happening again.  I'm getting partial recordings and all are on the Sony channel so it's not a problem with the hardware or DVR software but likely the guide data once again.

I never could get this resolved with Schedules Direct because they would say it is was fixed and it was...but the problem would resurface a month or two later for a period of time.  If it continues after the holidays I'll have to take the time to compare the guide data to my cable box and see if I can find discrepancies again.  If they exist, once again someone is providing incorrect data to the guide service or something else is happening because it's not Emby or NextPVR that is doing this....two separate DVR softwares with different guides for me and the problem still exists but only with the Sony Movie Channel.

canada99

I thought the sony movie channel was only in the uk but now i see it's also on direct tv and dishnet. What have you mapped it with in emby ? dtv ? what zipcode are you using I will test it on mine with that sony channel after I go through my iks server and find it. Just curious, what cable company are you with ? I would like to see your channel lineup for Houston TX on cable.

mark-in-dallas

Emby gets the EPG data from Gracenote.  What you could try doing is to create an M3U file with only the Sony Movie channel and map it to Emby Guide Data for comparison purposes.

2 hours ago, mark-in-dallas said:

Emby gets the EPG data from Gracenote

Which is the parent company of Schedules Direct...

Ronstang
11 hours ago, canada99 said:

I thought the sony movie channel was only in the uk but now i see it's also on direct tv and dishnet. What have you mapped it with in emby ? dtv ? what zipcode are you using I will test it on mine with that sony channel after I go through my iks server and find it. Just curious, what cable company are you with ? I would like to see your channel lineup for Houston TX on cable.

Yes, I mapped it with Emby and I can watch the channel. I am in zip code 77339 and I have Suddenlink Digital Cable

6 hours ago, ebr said:

Which is the parent company of Schedules Direct...

Pretty sure Schedules Direct is a non profit organization who gets the data from Tribune Media Services which is part of NexStar.

Gracenote used to be part of Tribune Media Services but sold Gracenote to Neilson back in 2017 after it acquired it in 2014.

As far as my understanding Tribune/NexStar purchases their data from Gracenote/Neilson.  

The twisted world of TV :)  But Schedule Direct data is Gracenote data when you get right down to it.

canada99
12 hours ago, Ronstang said:

Yes, I mapped it with Emby and I can watch the channel. I am in zip code 77339 and I have Suddenlink Digital Cable

I will test it out over the holidays, in the meantime I am sure if there is any issues it will get sorted by embys epg guys. If by some chance it continues I can add your username to my server for a full guide in your location. Have a safe and Merry Christmas !

• Like 2

Ronstang
8 hours ago, canada99 said:

I will test it out over the holidays, in the meantime I am sure if there is any issues it will get sorted by embys epg guys. If by some chance it continues I can add your username to my server for a full guide in your location. Have a safe and Merry Christmas !

Thank you so much....I'm not sure Emby's guys can fix it if it is Gracenote's issue....I have been having this problem on and off for over 6 months with the Sony Movie Channel. I contacted Schedules Direct and they were no help and clueless about the issue so I gave up.  Luckily the movies come around enough I finally get a good recording.  I do remember one movie that is really hard to find and only plays rarely was on several times one month......I recorded all of them....and all were truncated.  It was extremely annoying.

On 12/24/2020 at 5:46 PM, cayars said:

Pretty sure Schedules Direct is a non profit organization who gets the data from Tribune Media Services which is part of NexStar.

Gracenote used to be part of Tribune Media Services but sold Gracenote to Neilson back in 2017 after it acquired it in 2014.

As far as my understanding Tribune/NexStar purchases their data from Gracenote/Neilson.  

The twisted world of TV :)  But Schedule Direct data is Gracenote data when you get right down to it.

Okay, they couched themselves as a non-profit subsidiary back when we first talked to them but that's been a while.  In the end, most of this data all comes from the same place though.

• Like 1

canada99

I have tested this out and had nothing out of the ordinary happen at all for me, @Ronstang pm me if you still have issues with this.

SHSPVR
On 12/24/2020 at 4:46 PM, cayars said:

Yup and Schedules Direct is an organization created by several developers of MythTV software which all had to do with Zap2it Labs was killing off the free service at time, So as part of agreement the all the 3rd software using Schedules Direct EPG they must be commercial free software with TV/DVR part using the EPG and yes it was TMS.

Edited by SHSPVR
  • Like 1