HEVC 10bit transcoding(hw) problem since ver.4.5.2 on J3455(GPU HD 500)

ThomasTang

ThomasTang

Hello guys, I found the transcoding(hw) speed became to very slow since 4.5.2 for the HEVC(10bit) video file after test the different files and versions many times on J3455. For the same file, the transcoding speed  is around 90fps on 4.5.1 but only 6-9fps on 4.5.2-4.5.4/4.6.10(beta).

My computer:

CPU: Intel J3455

GPU: Integrated Intel® HD Graphics 500: 12 EUs inside (Up to 750MHz)

RAM:16GB

Emby server as a docker container. Docker version 20.10.1,

I also installed the emby-server on the host directly. But the result is the same. The transcode speed is slow sinve 4.5.2.

I notied there are some differences about the processing plan /Projected Processing Formats/Decoder between the 4.5.1 log and 4.5.4 log

===VER 4.5.1==

>>>>>>  Processing Plan
Info    Name                                        CanDoInHardware      WillDoInHardware     Reason                                  
Info    VAAPI HD Graphics 500 - H.265 (HEVC)     >> True                 True                 Hardware Codec                           
Info    VideoInput                               >> True                 True                 Same adapter (/dev/dri/renderD128), s... 
Info    ColorConversion                          >> True                 True                                                          
Info    VideoOutput                              >> True                 True                 Hardware encoder                         
Info    VAAPI HD Graphics 500 - H.264 (AVC)      >> True                 True                 Hardware Codec                           

>>>>>>  Projected Processing Formats
Info    Previous                HW-Context   Format       SW-Format       Next
Info    hevc                 >> VAAPI        vaapi_vld    yuv420p10    >> scale_vaapi
Info    scale_vaapi          >> VAAPI        vaapi_vld    nv12         >> 

Decoder VAAPI HD Graphics 500 - H.265 (HEVC)
        Adapter #0: 'HD Graphics 500' Id:23173 (Driver: Intel iHD driver for Intel(R) Gen Graphics - 20.1.1 (223f94d), Vendor: Intel Corporation)
        Frame Sizes: max 8192x8192
        Color Formats: NV12, P010, NV16
        Profiles: Main Profile (Level 1 (Main)), Main 10 Profile (Level 1 (Main))

====VER.4.5.4

>>>>>>  Processing Plan
Info    Name                                        CanDoInHardware      WillDoInHardware     Reason                                  
Info    VAAPI HD Graphics 500 - H.265 (HEVC)     >> True                 True                 Hardware Codec                           
Info    VideoInput                               >> True                 False                Same adapter (/dev/dri/renderD128), s... 
Info    ColorConversion                          >> False                False                                                         
Info    VideoOutput                              >> True                 True                 Hardware encoder                         
Info    VAAPI HD Graphics 500 - H.264 (AVC)      >> True                 True                 Hardware Codec                           

>>>>>>  Projected Processing Formats
Info    Previous                HW-Context   Format       SW-Format       Next
Info    hevc                 >> -            yuv420p10    yuv420p10    >> format
Info    format               >> -            yuv420p      yuv420p      >> format
Info    format               >> -            nv12         nv12         >> hwupload
Info    hwupload             >> VAAPI        vaapi_vld    nv12         >> 

Decoder VAAPI HD Graphics 500 - H.265 (HEVC)
        Adapter #0: 'HD Graphics 500' Id:23173 (Driver: Intel iHD driver for Intel(R) Gen Graphics - 20.1.1 (ac0a19f), Vendor: Intel Corporation)
        Frame Sizes: max 8192x8192
        Color Formats: NV12, P010
        Profiles: Main Profile (Level 6.1), Main 10 Profile (Level 6.1)

I attached the log and pic for your reference ( I test many HEVC 10bit files and select one's log of them). Could you give me some adv. how to fix this problem?  Now I can only keep the 4.5.1 on my server without any update. 

Thank you so much!

4.5.1.PNG

4.5.4.PNG

2.PNG

4.5.1 4.5.4 4.6.10_on_host.txt

Edited by ThomasTang

@ThomasTang - Thanks a lot for the detailed information.

This seems to be a regression. We had cases where transcoding failed on VAAPI devices that are unable to convert 10bit video in hardware, so we added a check that uses the color formats that the encoder supports. That check might not be 100% correct.

Could you please post a hardwarre_detection log?
(it doesn't matter from which of the installations)

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem with the same CPU on 4.5.4.0...

I'm using docker, is it safe to just use 4.5.1.0 docker tag with 4.5.4.0 data folder?

On 2/2/2021 at 1:27 PM, fRzzy said:

I'm having the same problem with the same CPU on 4.5.4.0...

I'm using docker, is it safe to just use 4.5.1.0 docker tag with 4.5.4.0 data folder?

Hi there @fRzzy can we please look at a log example? Thanks.

On 2/5/2021 at 1:04 AM, Luke said:

Hi there @fRzzy can we please look at a log example? Thanks.

it's exactly the same as in post #1... I just change the tag in the docker-compose file from latest to 4.5.1.0, relaunch the container and transcoding works...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, @fRzzy we'll look into it. There have been a lot of transcoding related changes to the 4.6 beta channel so you could always try that as well. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, wedgekc said:

I also have the same problem as the original poster after installing Emby server 4.5.4.0 via docker on a Intel Pentium N4200.  After downgrading to 4.5.1.0 transcoding worked as expected.

emby log.txt 21.09 kB · 0 downloads

hardware_detection-63754107571.txt 163.85 kB · 0 downloads

Hi, the Emby Server 4.6 release is soon to be available. I would suggest trying again with that once you have it. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
fRzzy

with latest 4.6.2 HEVC 10bit to H264 8bit hw transcoding works again, but only with HDR tone mapping set to off. But I need to dig a bit more to see if it's my hardware limitation.

18 minutes ago, fRzzy said:

with latest 4.6.2 HEVC 10bit to H264 8bit hw transcoding works again, but only with HDR tone mapping set to off. But I need to dig a bit more to see if it's my hardware limitation.

It could be, yes. Can you provide an ffmpeg log example of it with tone mapping?