Judder on playback for H264 with new TCL 4 Series

roaku

Android TV client: 1.8.54g / Server: 4.5.4

Content is Direct Played.

I just picked up a budget friendly TCL 4 Series with Android TV.

This is my first/only Android TV and experience with the Emby client for this platform.

I'm seeing what looks like judder with all H264 content played through Emby, both 1080p and 480p.

I have one 1080p movie ripped from the same source to both H264 and HEVC...the HEVC version plays back perfectly.

Is there a setting somewhere I can adjust to fix this?

I've already found and checked Enable Refresh Rate Switching and Match Video Resolution, but neither had any observable effect.

Edit: Sorry the forum is rotating the images...

emby-android-1.jpg

emby-android-2.jpg

Edited by roaku

The source frame rate is 23.98 but the display is in 60 and your "budget" TV probably doesn't do a super job of reconciling that.  It also probably doesn't support frame rate switching.  Does it have a 23.98 mode you can manually switch to?

Ya, supposedly (in documentation and reviews) this TV de-judders automatically, but I know how that goes.

I'll do some more research on the TV side of things if there's no magic setting on Emby's side.

I'll also hook up the Roku to see how its Emby client behaves.

Thanks.

Edited by roaku

Just to update, I plugged my older Roku Express into this TV and playback and picture are great, and the TV is displaying the Roku output at 1080p/60hz.

Also, my HEVC file, which plays back normally on the Emby Android TV client, has the same 23.976 frame rate as my H264 files which judder.

So, it does seem to be something specific about the Emby Android TV client and how it handles my H264 files.

Edited by roaku

Happy2Play

But still would be specific to that device if no one else sees this issue in Emby Android TV client on other devices.

Well sure, but I had to do that leg work to get us to the part where we don't just blame the TV and move on. :)

4 minutes ago, roaku said:

Well sure, but I had to do that leg work to get us to the part where we don't just blame the TV and move on. :)

The item is direct playing so it is still likely to be something in the codec implementation in the Android TV...

I see Emby is using Exoplayer but it's configurable. Is there another video player people have success with?

Edited by roaku

jrwalte

I'd try turning off all picture processing of the TV for contrast enhancement, judder, motion, etc. They can often introduce issues to the playback instead of help it.

Thanks. I had turned off everything I've found that can be.

And I've matched the settings from the Roku input that's judder free to the primary 'input' the Android apps display on.

And so far, I haven't seen this issue on any other Android apps, but I'm sure they're all HEVC based by now.

Switching playback to VLC improved the problem a bit, but it's still noticeable.

15 hours ago, roaku said:

Switching playback to VLC improved the problem a bit, but it's still noticeable.

That would imply that it is something in the TV or Android system somehow.  Does VLC have an option to disable hardware acceleration for video? 

I've just confirmed that forcing transcode with 'attempt playback correction' also fixes the issue, but my little ARM Synology is still in tears about the experiment.

And this isn't an urgent issue for me right now during holiday time. This is just meant to be an occasional use TV and I have a workaround with the Roku hooked up.

I'm just posting as I discover things.

3 hours ago, ebr said:

That would imply that it is something in the TV or Android system somehow.  Does VLC have an option to disable hardware acceleration for video? 

VLC for Android has been too flaky to really investigate. It crashes when I squint wrong.

• 4 months later...
roaku

There was no change to the judder with the new 2.0.0.9g release.

I'll reiterate, though, that I'm happy with the Roku I have plugged in to this TV and only reconnected the built in Android OS to the internet to test the issue against the new release.