Scan Media Library unusually active

MKANET

MKANET

I installed Media Browser a couple of days ago.  It seems like every time there's a small change in one of my libraries, the Media Scanner starts to scan everything for nearly an hour.  I can't imagine what it's doing for that long when only one file is added or deleted. 

I had originally configured MB3 to grab chapter thumbnail images for my TV shows; however, I disabled that feature a half a day later (I stopped the scan after a half a day of banging away at my CPU).  The option isn't checked anymore; and, have restarted the server since then.  I saw that most of my TV shows now have chapter preview thumbnails; even though it's turned off.  Is there a chance that that's something lingering with this chapter preview feature causing longer scans?

On my PLEX server, I had an option for it to do "partial scans" on libraries; which significantly reduced lengthy scans.

I'm curious if anyone has some tips which could reduce the length of time media scanner scans. 

Also, is MediaBrowser smart enough to temporarily pause file scanning (and respective high CPU usage) if a MB3 client starts streaming/transcoding a video?

MKANET

I think I figured out what I was soing wrong.  One of my TV Library folders was pointing to my SageTV Media Center's "TV Recordings Directory".  This directory has tuner recordings which continue to grow until the recording has completed.  This was causing the MB3 media scanner to constantly check the slowly growing media files (I could see this in the server log).

I'm testing a new aproach.. MB3's Auto-Organize feature to detect completed TV recordings in my Media Center's Recordings folder; and, copy them them to a normal MB3 Library directory.