RaspberryPi external drive

bretswinney

bretswinney

I have setup a new emby server on a RaspberryPi 4 & it is working great with a few files I have dumped on the SD card.  I am having trouble with External USB Hard Drive that will have all the shows & movies. It will not map to this drive.  Any suggestions?

mark-in-dallas

Check permissions and group access.  I.E.  make sure the emby user has access to the group that the external drive is assigned to.

bretswinney
Just now, mark-in-dallas said:

Check permissions and group access.  I.E.  make sure the emby user has access to the group that the external drive is assigned to.

I am not sure how to do that.  Can I get some more detailed instructions?

mark-in-dallas

Open a terminal and navigate to the drive or directory in question, then type in:  ls -l, and post the results.  That will tell us what user and group the drive is assigned to, at which point you will want to add the emby user to the group that the drive is assigned to using this command:  usermod -a -G "group-drive-assigned-to"  emby  but without the quotes.

If you'll run the terminal command, I can give you the exact command.

Edited by mark-in-dallas

bretswinney

pi@raspberrypi:/media/pi/Untitled $ ls -l
total 256
drwxrwxrwx 1 pi pi 131072 Dec 22 20:09 'Kids Movies'
drwxrwxrwx 1 pi pi 131072 Dec 22 20:08 'Kids Shows'
pi@raspberrypi:/media/pi/Untitled $ 

bretswinney
12 minutes ago, mark-in-dallas said:

Open a terminal and navigate to the drive or directory in question, then type in:  ls -l, and post the results.  That will tell us what user and group the drive is assigned to, at which point you will want to add the emby user to the group that the drive is assigned to using this command:  usermod -a -G "group-drive-assigned-to"  emby  but without the quotes.

If you'll run the terminal command, I can give you the exact command.

pi@raspberrypi:/media/pi/Untitled $ ls -l
total 256
drwxrwxrwx 1 pi pi 131072 Dec 22 20:09 'Kids Movies'
drwxrwxrwx 1 pi pi 131072 Dec 22 20:08 'Kids Shows'
pi@raspberrypi:/media/pi/Untitled $ 

mark-in-dallas

Okay, run this command in a terminal then try to add the drive in Emby again:  sudo usermod -a -G pi  emby

If that works, then I would also run this command so you are able to easily delete files and/or directories created by Emby that are no longer needed:  sudo usermod -a -G emby pi

Edited by mark-in-dallas

bretswinney
9 minutes ago, mark-in-dallas said:

Okay, run this command in a terminal and try to add the drive again:  sudo usermod -a -G pi  emby

If that works, then I would also run this command so you are able to easily delete files and directories created by Emby that are no longer needed:  sudo usermod -a -G emby pi

root@SWEMBYONTHEGO:~# sudo usermod -a -G pi  emby
sudo: unable to resolve host SWEMBYONTHEGO: Name or service not known

mark-in-dallas

Okay, I just saw a somewhat similar response the other day, why I don't know, but the emby user did exist and apparently ran fine on a second try.  Try it again but instead of copying and pasting in the command try typing it in instead.  If that still doesn't work, then  type in this command and post the results:  stat --format '%U:%G' "/var/lib/emby"

Edited by mark-in-dallas

bretswinney
7 minutes ago, mark-in-dallas said:

Okay, I just saw a somewhat similar response the other day, why I don't know, but the emby user did exist and apparently ran fine on a second try.  Try it again but instead of copying and pasting try typing it the command line this time.  If that still doesn't work, then  type in this command and post the results:  stat --format '%U:%G' "/var/lib/emby"

Still did not work

pi@SWEMBYONTHEGO:~ $ stat --format '%U:%G' "/var/lib/emby"
emby:emby

mark-in-dallas

Okay, that command shows that you do have an emby user account and group.  The command that I gave you provides the emby user access to the pi group, and is basic linux code, so I can think of no reason whatsoever why that the command :  sudo usermod -a -G pi  emby  would error out with a "Name or service not known" error if the command was typed in correctly,  and i'm kind of at a loss at this point.

if you're willing to give me SSH access, I'd be happy to jump in and take a look if you have the server setup for shell access, and want to PM me the I.P. address and login info.   Otherwise, I'm sure that cayers, mastermind11 or one of the devs will be along to help at some point.

Edited by mark-in-dallas

mark-in-dallas

Okay, I logged in to your server and and have it working for you now, and was able to add the media/pi/Untitled/Kids Movies folder.

Problems found and corrections made:

1.  /media/pi ownership and group were assigned to  root root, changed to pi pi

2.  hostname and I.P. were set to: SW EMBY ON THE GO  and 127.0.1.1 in /etc/hosts file, changed to  SWEMBYONTHEGO and 127.0.0.1

3.  Emby did not have access to the pi group, added emby access to pi and pi access to emby.

Edited by mark-in-dallas

mark-in-dallas
19 minutes ago, Luke said:

That's great, thanks for doing that !

No problem, at least I'm good for something, right?  LOL

bretswinney
51 minutes ago, mark-in-dallas said:

Okay, I logged in to your server and and have it working for you now, and was able to add the media/pi/Untitled/Kids Movies folder.

Problems found and corrections made:

1.  /media/pi ownership and group were assigned to  root root, changed to pi pi

2.  hostname and I.P. were set to: SW EMBY ON THE GO  and 127.0.1.1 in /etc/hosts file, changed to  SWEMBYONTHEGO and 127.0.0.1

3.  Emby did not have access to the pi group, added emby access to pi and pi access to emby.

Thanks so much! This is my first rasberrypi to ever use so I am learning!