Current Roku App Features

farside847

farside847

I am new to the MB platform, and am curious if it will fit my needs before I go through with the installation. I am sorry if this information is posted elsewhere and this seems to be a basic post. But after reading the forum and doing a few google searches I thought I would ask.

I have a HDHomeRun Prime with cable card (HDHR3-CC) and a i7 server with Win7 and WMC that I use as a media server to stream content to my Roku 3's. I am interested in using this server/app solution to handle my movies, live TV, and DVR functions.

From my reading I am pretty sure this app will handle the following easily:

• Stream my movies without transcoding - (already in compatible format)
  • Auto-create pretty Metedata, images, descriptions, etc for movies and recorded shows
  • Stream live TV from my HDHR through my PC to my roku in HD
  • Mark shows for recording, and stream these recordings later in HD

I am not sure if the following is supported (or on its way):

• Pausing live TV, and resume 5, 10, or 20 minutes later
  • Display all available live TV channels in a grid to help you select what to watch (wife happiness requirement)
  • Create and Manage a "season pass". For example, set it up to record all first run Big Bang episodes
  • Screenshot display during FF and RW - Currently I have BIF files to provide this information.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can share with me!

farside847

I went ahead and took the plunge, and installed the latest beta server and beta roku app. Here are my results:

Positive:

•  - Stream my movies without transcoding - (already in compatible format)
  •  - Auto-create pretty Metedata, images, descriptions, etc for movies and recorded shows
  •  - Stream live TV from my HDHR through my PC to my roku in HD.
  •  
  • Negative
  •  - Playback of recorded shows is pretty bad. Even low action sitcoms were jerky with horizontal bars. I tried setting the quality in the app to 10mbit, and the server to high but it did not seem to change the quality. I am not sure what is the difference between the setting in the app, and the setting on the server.
  •  - Pausing live TV, and resume 5, 10, or 20 minutes later. I do not believe this is supported
  •  - Display all available live TV channels in a grid. Unfortunately the app only displays a list of channels, to see what is playing you must select a channel, then exit, select the next channel, etc.
  •  - Create and Manage a "season pass". You can request a new show to be recorded, and then cancel it, but there is no central recording management, nor the ability to set up a season pass that would record future episodes.
  •  - Screenshot display during FF and RW - Unfortunately a blank screen is displayed, and you must guess when is the right time to resume playback

If I may make a humble suggestion, check out the HDHRFling app, it has a really nice grid display for live TV. 

I am definitely going to subscribe to the mailing list and be kept up to date on future updates. Thank you for all your hard work on this solution, With DVR functionality you are getting darn close to the perfect system :)

•  

there is the ability to setup series recordings. you can record all episodes in the future, on any channel, or just a single channel, at anytime or just a specific time.

farside847

Thats great news! I must have totally overlooked that feature. How do I set up a re-occurring recording in the roku app?

thank you!

i believe the roku app currently only supports setting up an individual recording, but you can use the web interface to setup recurring recordings. the web interface works great on small screens so it can be done easily on the couch with your smartphone or tablet. at the moment the roku interface is more geared towards playback than it is management.

53deea5b1d7c8_Untitled.png

• Like 1