App picking wrong audio track when not starting from beginning

FrostByte

FrostByte

Server .08 beta

App 1.0.87

Problem:  Selecting alternate audio track doesn't play the correct track if movie isn't started from the beginning.  If movie is started from the beginning then the alternate track will play.

Expected result: movie play the selected audio track no matter what point the movie is started from

Steps:

• Open movie details page
  • click the down arrow and choose alternate audio track
  • Scroll down and choose a Chapter other than 1 to start playback
  • movie will direct stream as it is converting the TrueHD track and not playing the audio track chosen before playing

In the log you should see three attempts to play the movie Leon the Professional.  The first two I click a chapter other than 1 to start playback and the movie direct streamed.  The third should be Direct Play when I started the movie from the beginning.

Possibly related to this thread:

server.txt

remux.txt

Leon.thumb.png.dba1436960a3957b62028a724dd43bed.png

FrostByte

Further information on above.  

Once you select the alternate track and begin playback from the beginning and the server remembers the last track chosen to be the alternate track then you can start playback using the Chapter thumbs and the app will Direct Play the correct track.

FrostByte
25 minutes ago, Luke said:

I would try allowing video transcoding in case it's related to that.

Makes no difference.  Tried the movie Vertigo and got the same result. 

App still tries to play the default track even though the secondary track was selected before and movie DirectStreams if you start playback from any other spot than the beginning.  Once the movie is started from the beginning and the server remembers the last audio track play then the movie Direct Plays the correct track if you select a chapter other than chapter 1

https://pastebin.com/CVakbpjH

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

I can't tell which track it tried from reading the log and playing with web client.  My PC converts even EAC3 using the web client so it will always DirectStream .

Logs contains playing the movie Pete's Dragon with DTS-HD default track and EAC 5.1 alternate track.  I selected the alternate track and clicked chapter 4 and it DirectStreamed because of unsupported audio, but as I mentioned my computer doesn't support either codec so not sure which it tried.

Petes.txt

I can say that using Emby for Android 3.1.73 that it does the same thing.  If I select the alternate EAC3 track for a movie and then click say Chapter 4 it will still play the default TrueHD audio track and trigger Atmos.  But if I select the alternate EAC3 track and start from chapter 1 then it pays the correct track and doesn't trigger Atmos.  After that the server remembers the alternate track was last used I can then start from chapter 4 and it plays the correct track.

However, this does NOT affect ATV.  ATV plays the correct track when not starting at the beginning.

Edited by FrostByte

I think I’ve reported this before. It’s fine when you start from the beginning or resume, but starting from a chapter mark doesn’t honour the audio track selection from the dropdown on the items page, it uses the last played audio track or the default track it there has been no previous playback.   I can’t recall, but I suspect the same is also true of subs. 

I also suspect that this is common to all the theatre based apps

• Like 1