Any plans for supporting newer cablecard tuners with DNLA upnp livetv?

MKANET

MKANET

Being able to access dedicated network tvtuners directly seems like a great idea.

It would be awesome if Media Browser Server able to automatically discover newer dnla capable TV tuners on the LAN; and, automatically enable Livetv support (user only selects zipcode/cabletvcompany).

Installing and configuring a whole Media Center app just for livetv doesn't really sound very appealing to new users.

nydude25

Being able to access dedicated network tvtuners directly seems like a great idea.

It would be awesome if Media Browser Server able to automatically discover newer dnla capable TV tuners on the LAN; and, automatically enable Livetv support (user only selects zipcode/cabletvcompany).

Installing and configuring a whole Media Center app just for livetv doesn't really sound very appealing to new users.

Just streaming the live TV signal, without having the metadata supporting it wouldn't be very useful. Most people don't just turn on their TV, choose a random channel number in their head, switch to that number and watch. They want to know what is available to watch. The live TV stream doesn't have much or any metadata in it, so that info has be presented for the user to choose a channel. That means you need a program guide to indicate what's available, and for that you need to retrieve metadata from some source, specific to the users cable company and cable channel subscription. Additionally, the system needs to retrieve that info on a regular schedule. Then you can stream the live TV channel.

Once you've got that all set up, you might as well just enable the streams to be recorded at dates and times that the user can set. :rolleyes:  

MKANET

I actually meant liveTV with an EPG (and respective program data for current time).  That's why I mentioned the user will only need to select zipcode/cableTVcompany .. and, liveTV would work right out of the box without having to install and configure anything.

I agree, most people dont just turn on their TV and choose a random channel.  However, my guess is most people do like to watch normal liveTV in the living room (live sports, news, cartoons, etc).  Our household does that every day.  Every time we have guests over, we tune into whatever's on TV at the time.

Anyway, its just a feature than I know I'd like to take advantage of.  It could also coexist with existing LiveTV plugin solutions.

Edited by MKANET
  • Like 1