Problem Subtitle transcoding - Synology DS218

Gfpiccolo

Gfpiccolo

Hello,

i have a big problem with some movies on my library.

this happen for both my 4K tv: Samsung UE40MU6400U and LG OLED 55C8 and with both 4K and FHD movies (Not all)

in most cases, I can see movies correctly, in direct playback, without any problems, for other case, with the subtitile,  emby has to do the transcoding, and at that point, the movie continues to stuck every few seconds, because the buffering is too slow, on the same movie, if i turn off the subtitle, the movies goes correctly without problem.

for example, my copy of The lord of the rings 4K. without subtitle is ok, with subtitle it's stuck making vision impossible

the file are all in .mkv format and the subtitle DVDSUB or PGSSUB, if i disable subtitle or download manually the .srt file, the film play correctly.

what is the cause of this problem? how can i solve?

thank you very much

immagine.thumb.png.f3716c769813d2afca9118bad580f123.png

Hi, yes it sounds like your NAS probably just can't handle this transcoding. Do you have Emby Premiere? That will get you access to hardware accelerated transcoding which may help, although it's still no guarantee that it will be enough. These are 4K HEVC files. Transcoding them on the fly and burning in subtitles is a very taxing process, even for a powerful machine.

For best performance you may want to stick to external SRT.

Gfpiccolo

thanks for quickly reply.

no, i haven't emby premiere, with the premium version, could it improve the situation?

however it doesn't only do it with 4k hevc but also with normal full hd, if it doesn't like subtitles.
if i work on transcoding menu of emby, could i improve something?

thank you

It will improve with hardware accelerated transcoding, yes. The question is will it improve enough to be playable. That's why external SRT is always your best bet. But you could try a month of Emby Premiere to use hardware transcoding and see how it compares.

if i work on transcoding menu of emby, could i improve something?

Unlikely. The out of box settings are pretty fine tuned already.

Gfpiccolo
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

It will improve with hardware accelerated transcoding, yes. The question is will it improve enough to be playable. That's why external SRT is always your best bet. But you could try a month of Emby Premiere to use hardware transcoding and see how it compares.

Unlikely. The out of box settings are pretty fine tuned already.

but if i switch to emby premium, then my nas supports hardware transcoding?

Happy2Play
11 minutes ago, Gfpiccolo said:

i tried with emby premiere, but absolutely nothing has changed :(

Would need to see ffmpeg log for a specific issue.  But it still comes back to whether the device has enough  power and if even has hardware that supports HWA.

FrostByte

Even my Intel J3355 suffers when trying to transcode PGS subs which is why I always use subs my TV supports when using the Samsung app.  Not to mention you will most likely lose HDR when transcoding 4K.

• Like 1

Gfpiccolo

if i change my NAS DS218 with the new DS220+  do you think it would improve the situation?

otherwise for the movies that are not played and I need the forced, I will look for the srt and if I don't find them, I extract the subtitle files from the mkv and convert them to srt

FrostByte

Ya, I have the J3355 which is faster than the Realtek and I think mine is slow when burning PGS subs in 4K.  Burning 1080P PGS is doable with mine.

The J4025 does have a UHD GPU which will definitely be faster when transcoding 4K movies.  To me HDR is more important than PGS subs though.   

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/197307/intel-celeron-processor-j4025-4m-cache-up-to-2-90-ghz.html

Gfpiccolo

ok, thank you for your reply.

another question, when i download directly from Emby, the .srt subtitle, what is the path where it is saved?

Edited by Gfpiccolo

Gfpiccolo
2 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Mine get saved to the media folders where the movie itself is.

ok thank you, is a option of the library to save it in the media folder.

last question: on my lg tv, i have remote control with infrared pointer, so i can move throw the movies with the timecode bar.

On my samsung tv, i haven't this remote control and i don't know how i can move at one determinate point of the video.

there is some strange trick to do that?

ChefChaudard
On 12/20/2020 at 1:53 AM, Gfpiccolo said:

if i change my NAS DS218 with the new DS220+  do you think it would improve the situation?

No, I got one 220+, and same problem 🤢.

When it happens, I hear the HD making an impressive noise.  It's even hard to be able to log on Synology as the processor is overcharged.

Edited by ChefChaudard
  • Like 1

Gfpiccolo
14 hours ago, ChefChaudard said:

No, I got one 220+, and same problem 🤢.

When it happens, I hear the HD making an impressive noise.  It's even hard to be able to log on Synology as the processor is overcharged.

ah ok, thank you.

also my model, when i try to start a transcoding, CPU goes to 100%, and the NAS is not be useable. even if I stop the attempt to watch the TV, the NAS still blocked even for 30/40 minutes. sometimes it doesn't unlock anymore and I have to brutally restart it from the button

so, with our model is impossible have a good transcode of 4k movies. which synology model could he do it?

• 2 weeks later...