Ffmpeg GPU

Crestj

Crestj

It's been mentioned before but I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Will ffmpeg's decoding feature ever offer gpu offloading?

Is it even on the cards for ffmpeg to get gpu decoding?

My cpu in my pc is not powerful enough to decode 2 films for 2 Android tablets concurrently even on the lowest decoding quality setting on the server.

Deihmos

The project has been around for 14 years now. If you need to stream to these devices you are better off purchasing a better CPU.

Sent from my Surface Pro 2 using Tapatalk

Crestj

Sadly my proliant microserver is non upgradable from its low power cpu. It's good for everything just not decoding 2 videos at once.

Koleckai Silvestri

You can reduce the reliance on transcoding by making sure your content is available in h.264 video with a 2 channel AAC audio channel. I find that mkv containers are great for this. While my server can easily transcode four streams at a time, it rarely has to do so. This will help give your server some breathing room.

Media servers do need more power than file servers though.

Crestj

Is that the perfect codec setup for streaming to Android?

What if I'd like to keep a multi channel (5.1) audio channel?

Do you have a recommendation for a transcoder application? Handbrake?

Koleckai Silvestri

That is the most common combination of audio and video supported by the majority of devices currently available in the world. 

You can have multiple audio streams in a media container so you can keep the 5.1 or 7.1 stream and the AAC stream. I keep the high definition audio, descriptive audio and the 2 channel conversion. For conversion, I use MakeMKV. It gives you a 1:1 copy of the original, you can choose which audio streams and subtitles to keep and you get an MKV container. If you want to optimize the results for you Android devices afterwards, you can use Handbrake to do that. All Handbrake is does is transcode your media once so the server doesn't have to do it every time it is viewed. Media Browser also supports multiple copies of your media so you can keep a 1:1 lossless copy of your media and mobile optimized versions at the same time. The system will determine which copy to use depending on the device.

jasonmcroy

That is the most common combination of audio and video supported by the majority of devices currently available in the world.

You can have multiple audio streams in a media container so you can keep the 5.1 or 7.1 stream and the AAC stream. I keep the high definition audio, descriptive audio and the 2 channel conversion. For conversion, I use MakeMKV. It gives you a 1:1 copy of the original, you can choose which audio streams and subtitles to keep and you get an MKV container. If you want to optimize the results for you Android devices afterwards, you can use Handbrake to do that. All Handbrake is does is transcode your media once so the server doesn't have to do it every time it is viewed. Media Browser also supports multiple copies of your media so you can keep a 1:1 lossless copy of your media and mobile optimized versions at the same time. The system will determine which copy to use depending on the device.

Ok, let me see if I understand this correctly, because I have a lower powered cpu and I have been wanting to figure out a way to have a 2 audio channel copy for my android devices and roku and keep the 5.1 channel copy for my living room htpc (MBS is on that same computer).

Are you saying I could have 2 copies of the same file and the server will give that copy to the device?

I was also wondering if I use makemkv (which I currently use to rip my dvds) and keep both audio copies that show when I go to rip it, will the server use the correct audio channel automatically depending on the device?

-Jason

Edited by jasonmcroy

Logos302

HandBreak can do the conversion of give you a 2 channel audio and 5.1 audio in AAC format, MakeGUI might as well I'm not sure haven't used it enough to know.   You can actually have more than 1 audio stream in the same file.  An example of this would be you could have the English stream and also a French stream.  

Crestj

Thanks, so the question is whether MBserver will offer the correct audio stream from a single video file depending on what it's sending / streaming it too?

Koleckai Silvestri

The server is supposed to offer the best stream to reduce transcoding. It stores all the information about the Media file and offers that to the client. The client is then supposed to request the streams the work best for it. So the Android device should request 2 channel audio and the HTPC should request the 5.1 audio. However this isn't perfect but you can switch audio and subtitle streams during playback without pause.

When I use the web client or Roku clients, the appropriate streams are selected most of the time. Haven't really checked on my iPhone or Kindle Fire Tablet.

Edited by Wayne Luke

none of the clients are doing that yet. they are going by whatever audio stream is marked as default, and that is based on my guidance. there is currently no way to differentiate an equivalent audio track of a different codec vs a track that is commentary. so until we have configuration around that, that's how it works right now.

jasonmcroy

That sounds fine as long as I can switch the stream mid playback.

I wish I had thought about this earlier because when I rip my dvds and blurays I always select the 5.1 audio track only and leave the other tracks out. I guess I am going to have to newly rip some of my media.