Best hardware

mlcarson

sooty234

Further more, if anyone tries to tell me that there more streaming boxes than computers, then they have lost all reason. To be able to use those computers to watch emby media, they just have to install one app, and they're done.

Edited by sooty234

jrwalte

hey. Don't make fun of my Corolla. man! 🤣 My custom stereo in it is worth more than the car!

Edited by jrwalte
  • Haha 1

sooty234

My computer compared to a Shield TV. 

Satan driving a monster truck over a corolla.

How does that song go? I think it's "Move b***h, get out the way".

And don't anybody get mad. I'm not. I'm just having some fun :P

1339919697_Thisistheway.gif.e4ede94c678244df2eef818d77807fdb.gif

14 hours ago, sooty234 said:

Not at all. I disagree with the reason why there are.

Let's use a crappy car analogy.

The Toyota Corolla is one of the most widely used cars in the world. Is it because they go faster, or they are more luxurious, or just plain awesome? No. It's because they're cheap to buy, economical to run, fairly reliable and very easy to find one to buy. Can those drivers drive a luxury car or a sports car or something utilitarian? Yes. Why don't they? Because they can't afford to or some other reason like they don't have room to park a larger car. If they had no restrictions on what they could drive, I'm damn sure they wouldn't have a Corolla.

This analogy would only be relevant if you used a 1970 MG instead of a Corolla because it would always be breaking down, you'd always be looking for parts or troubleshooting some obscure issue, it would be missing most of the newer items you want to access and it would be difficult to drive

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ebr said:

This analogy would only be relevant if you used a 1970 MG instead of a Corolla because it would always be breaking down, you'd always be looking for parts or troubleshooting some obscure issue, it would be missing most of the newer items you want to access and it would be difficult to drive

Assuming the MG were a convertible the issues you mention about it become a blur. You mean the top comes off? Enough said. *gives money*

BTW.. looking for an Fiat X1/9. Anybody have one cheap? :P

vdatanet
1 hour ago, speechles said:

Assuming the MG were a convertible the issues you mention about it become a blur. You mean the top comes off? Enough said. *gives money*

BTW.. looking for an Fiat X1/9. Anybody have one cheap? :P

Although it does need a coat of paint:

1975 FIAT X1/9 for sale near Phoenix, Arizona 85085 - Classics on Autotrader

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

A coat of paint. Some tires. An engine. Brakes. Complete interior. It just needs everything.. lol. Yeah. They cannot even give that thing away.

sooty234
1 hour ago, ebr said:

The implication being that streaming devices work better and are more stable than a PC? The opposite is true. Streaming devices are highly incapable, and simply don't work, by design. Stability isn't even a question, they can't do very much to begin with. I suppose if I lowered my standards considerably and put my head in sand, I might find a little satisfaction. By I just can't do that. Next you'll be saying odd things like gaming PCs are not good ,are antiquated and not many people have them anymore, and apple make good products. 

Best is always subjective. You cannot equate the best to what would play the media in the most beautiful way. Especially if best means.. boots up immediately and has all your apps easily accessible. What is best?

Does best mean picture quality and sound? Does best mean easiest to use? Does best mean how simple the remote control is? Does best mean how easily streaming services can be accessed from it?

The thread in itself is ambiguous as there is no real basis for the best unless you qualify the statement which best you mean.

The best hardware is the one you find yourself coming back to when you have others available. The best hardware is what you always defend when others point out flaws with it. The best hardware is what is best for you. We cannot really help you except give you ideas what we think is best and our opinion on why. You are the best guess of what is the best hardware for your use case. We are just noise in your ear.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

That is a high price to pay for nostalgia. Just  to go out there and say.. yep, when I was 17 having this was being on top. And now at 51 I have it! I am GOD! Same way it was said in American Beauty by Kevin Spacey when he bought his favorite car finally that he dreamed of when 17.

But you know that one car you always wanted. Never could have. That is the fiat to me.

Edited by speechles

sooty234
8 minutes ago, speechles said:

You cannot equate the best to what would play the media in the most beautiful way. Especially if best means.. boots up immediately and has all your apps easily accessible.

Eh? Of course you can. My computer does everything better than my shield. 

Oh now I get it. I'm in the twilight zone, or upside down world or something. 

13 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

Eh? Of course you can. My computer does everything better than my shield. 

Oh now I get it. I'm in the twilight zone, or upside down world or something. 

When I just want to watch a YouTube video I use my tablet or phone. When I just want to watch something with someone the Roku is there. I am saying you are in the twilight zone actually. Glad you picked up on that. A htpc costs more to run, costs more to maintain, costs more to upgrade. A streaming box you just replace. I do not need to upgrade RAM, or worry about plugins, or worry about some OS update frying me out, or worry about drivers, or worry about anything. A streaming box you just restart or factory reset. Back up in no time.

Yeah.. the upside down maybe. Or perhaps just stuck in ground hog day with a relic. Not ever evolving the pokemon from their original charmander, squirtle, or Bulbasaur. Just forcing Ash to fight the same battles with the same pokemon.

The reality is simplicity is beautiful. Older eyes do not process all that visual pixel perfectness anymore. We see sort of worse with less sharpness. Turn your TV sharpness down to about 30%. Now do all those filters and effects the PC does make a difference? Not really worth it for the nostalgia of what your younger eyes could do for that price. The electricity it takes between an always on streaming box versus an always on HTPC. The math makes it seem the HTPC would cost much more over the course of a year. That extra money saved using streaming boxes can be used to purchase a streaming service or two. Save money on electricity and spend it on streaming services such as Netflix/Hulu or even purchase lifetime Emby premier with the savings over a year.

That is why the best hardware is a myth. There is not just one ring. There is not just one volcano. There are many rings and many volcano and we can all quest. It isn't just followers of the ring. It is followers of every streaming device. The future needs everyone on their favorite device using their media their way.

Edited by speechles

sooty234
5 minutes ago, speechles said:

When I just want to watch a YouTube video I use my tablet or phone. When I just want to watch something with someone the Roku is there. I am saying you are in the twilight zone actually. Glad you picked up on that. A htpc costs more to run, costs more to maintain, costs more to upgrade. A streaming box you just replace. I do not need to upgrade RAM, or worry about plugins, or worry about some OS update frying me out, or worry about drivers, or worry about anything. A streaming box you just restart or factory reset. Back up in no time.

Yeah.. the upside down maybe. Or perhaps just stuck in ground hog day with a relic. Not ever evolving the pokemon from their original charmander, squirtle, or Bulbasaur. Just forcing Ash to fight the same battles with the same pokemon.

The reality is simplicity is beautiful. Older eyes do not process all that visual pixel perfectness anymore. We see sort of worse with less sharpness. Turn your TV sharpness down to about 30%. Now do all those filters and effects the PC does make a difference? Not really worth it for the nostalgia of what your younger eyes could do for that price. The electricity it takes between an always on streaming box versus an always on HTPC. The math makes it seem the HTPC would cost much more over the course of a year. That extra money saved using streaming boxes can be used to purchase a streaming service or two. Save money on electricity and spend it on streaming services such as Netflix/Hulu or even purchase lifetime Emby premier with the savings over a year.

That is why the best hardware is a myth. There is not just one ring. There is not just one volcano. There are many rings and many volcano and we can all quest. It isn't just followers of the ring. It is followers of every streaming device. The future needs everyone on their favorite device using their media their way.

TL/DRIA

I already stated that the main drawback was the cost. Personally, I don't care about that. And your other point of convenience, my computer runs just like a streaming box. Always connected, always ready. I pick up a remote and press a button and I'm watching. But I'm not limited to that, like a streaming box. So it's far beyond the childlike function of streaming devices.

CBers
9 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

So it's far beyond the childlike function of streaming devices.

Step away from the keyboard 😀

• Haha 1

Gilgamesh_48
48 minutes ago, speechles said:

Best is always subjective. You cannot equate the best to what would play the media in the most beautiful way. Especially if best means.. boots up immediately and has all your apps easily accessible. What is best?

Does best mean picture quality and sound? Does best mean easiest to use? Does best mean how simple the remote control is? Does best mean how easily streaming services can be accessed from it?

The thread in itself is ambiguous as there is no real basis for the best unless you qualify the statement which best you mean.

The best hardware is the one you find yourself coming back to when you have others available. The best hardware is what you always defend when others point out flaws with it. The best hardware is what is best for you. We cannot really help you except give you ideas what we think is best and our opinion on why. You are the best guess of what is the best hardware for your use case. We are just noise in your ear.

Exactly!

For me that makes "best" equate to my Roku Ultras. 

Of course my "best" could be another's trash. 

But since I am always indisputably right anyone disagreeing with me must be quite wrong. 🤣😇👿

vdatanet
2 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

TL/DRIA

I already stated that the main drawback was the cost. Personally, I don't care about that. And your other point of convenience, my computer runs just like a streaming box. Always connected, always ready. I pick up a remote and press a button and I'm watching. But I'm not limited to that, like a streaming box. So it's far beyond the childlike function of streaming devices.

Cost is not the problem, I have the misfortune to manage my family's gadgets ☹️ , in total there are 12 streaming boxes and 15 computers (perfectly capable for HTPC), the computers are there, but to watch media my family uses the streaming boxes and computers to do other things.

sooty234
45 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

Cost is not the problem, I have the misfortune to manage my family's gadgets ☹️ , in total there are 12 streaming boxes and 15 computers (perfectly capable for HTPC), the computers are there, but to watch media my family uses the streaming boxes and computers to do other things.

Well, as I was trying to say, there are personal reasons for whatever device each of us uses. But it's undeniable that I can play any media of any type on a computer, but streaming devices can't. I read so many playback issues with those devices that I have none. I don't have to wait for a developer to fix it, and some of the time they just don't fix and choose some other way to play the media that is just crap. I got play, it plays.

sooty234

Here's the bottom line. Disable all transcoding in the the server, launch the emby app, play all types of media and compare that with what I can play on my computer with the emby app.

jrwalte

2 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

Here's the bottom line. Disable all transcoding in the the server, launch the emby app, play all types of media and compare that with what I can play on my computer with the emby app.

With the Shield anyway, everything would play fine.

vdatanet
7 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

Well, that's a software problem, there are streaming boxes that can direct play everything, but using Emby you may get audio transcoding and sometimes, that audio remux may lead to a full transcode.

An example, using Infuse I can direct play VC1 + DTS, using Emby for Apple TV audio has to be remuxed and then video has to be transcoded. Apple TV is not an example of a versatile device, but an example that using appropriate software you can get more out of it.

Edited by vdatanet

sooty234
3 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

Well, that's a software problem, there are streaming boxes that can direct play everything, but using Emby you may get audio transcoding and sometimes, that audio remux may lead to a full transcode.

I have no such issues. If transcoding in the server failed, I wouldn't notice.