TrueHD (atmos) sometimes transcodes

jrwalte

jrwalte

I'm having an issue with getting Atmos to work with my Denon and Shield Pro 2019 (new install with this Pro. I used a regular in the past on this setup and was working). At first Atmos wouldn't work at all for Emby, but it would for Disney + and Netflix. After fiddling around with Emby (In the end I cleared the cache and restarted) I seem to have it working most of the time. For the few movies I've tried, 'Atmos' would appear on my Denon and Emby would not show it is transcoding. However, for some Dolby Vision demo files under .m2ts format, Emby wants to keep transcoding the TrueHD due to 'unsupported format'.

Is the container the issue? It's not like it is a big loss if I can't play the demo files, but since I was having issues with all Atmos, I wanted to check if this is just an issue with this file type and I won't keep having issues with my movies in the future.

I submitted a log as user Primary at about 2:25am EST of me playing Captain America with Atmos working and then 'Dolby Vision Demo Disc S01E03' and it transcoding.

I appreciate your help

rbjtech

How is the Shield connected to the Denon ?

Is it -

Shield > HDMI > Denon > HDMI > TV

If yes, then you should have no issues playing any Atmos audio format - True-HD or DD+ (+ DTS-X etc)

If you are connecting Shield > HDMI > TV > HDMI > Denon - then this is not the optimal way to connect as you are then relying on ARC/eARC for Audio.

TS files should play without transcoding, but currently the release version of Emby (ExoPlayer) on the Shield does not support DV - this should change with the upcoming release I believe.

Edited by rbjtech

jrwalte

It is HDMI from Shield Pro to Denon. I've used the same cables in the past on the regular Shield and it played Atmos. I didn't have the demo files at the time, so that is the difference.

I never expected DV to work and it would just be HDR10? But I was thinking Atmos should? Do you think it is the fact the file has DV, that Emby gets a playback error and starts to transcode the audio even though it doesn't need to? Is there a way to force Emby not to do that?

8 hours ago, jrwalte said:

Is the container the issue?

It very well could be related but knowing the exact reason given would be helpful.  Are you actually going to have real media in m2ts format?  I would think you most likely wouldn't and would have mkvs or mp4s instead.

jrwalte
5 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, did you explore the stats feature in the video player to learn why it was transcoding?

Yes it said transcoding due to audio not supported. The video was still playing direct.

My library is always MKV. It's just these demo files that are m2ts. I thought the exact reason would have been provided in the log that should have been submitted? Do you need anything else?

jrwalte

Yes the Denon x4500H supports TrueHD. I did get Atmos working with my MKV movies it seems (I tested 3) which are all TrueHD and it used to work with all my movies in the past on this Denon when I was using a Shield 2019. I had just upgraded it to a Shield Pro and at first Emby would keep transcoding the audio. I know the cables and the receiver aren't the issue.

It might just be these particular m2ts files for the Dolby Vision/Atmos demo. But you'd think it should work with Emby, anyway. So potentially a bug to squash as DV grows in support. I downloaded the demo sites non 4k DV versions of 1080p with Atmos, which are MKV. I suspect these will probably work and not transcode.

jrwalte

So the 1080p Atmos MKV plays fine. But it stinks that I can't showcase 4K HDR and Atmos at the same time, so it would be nice to fix. However, we know 4K and HDR aren't the problem, because I can get Atmos with 4K HDR movies. The only difference is 1) the m2ts container and 2) that it has DV. I don't think I have any movie with DV.

I'll give the other Emby version a try.

Edited by jrwalte

13 hours ago, jrwalte said:

But it stinks that I can't showcase 4K HDR and Atmos at the same time

Sure you can. You already said all your media is in mkv so this should be no problem.

CBers

I downloaded the Chameleon.m2ts file and it direct plays the video, triggering HDR on my TV, but for some reason remuxes the TrueHD (Armos) audio to AC3. 

14:30:28.701 Stream mapping:
14:30:28.701   Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
14:30:28.701   Stream #0:2 -> #0:1 (truehd (native) -> ac3 (native))

SFNs says "Unsupported container". 

Emby_20201215_143649.thumb.png.8644e2337059fb651b7a71acb4cd50c9.png

For @ebr, I have submitted in-app logs (user=Master). 

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, CBers said:

I downloaded the Chameleon.m2ts file and it direct plays the video, but for some reason remuxes the TrueHD (Armos) audio to AC3. 

14:30:28.701 Stream mapping:
14:30:28.701   Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
14:30:28.701   Stream #0:2 -> #0:1 (truehd (native) -> ac3 (native))

SFNs says "Unsupported container". 

For @ebr, I have submitted in-app logs (user=Master). 

Didn't we already establish that this is the m2ts container?  The exact same video in an MKV should be fine.  We'll look into whether we can expand the exo support for m2ts.

CBers
3 minutes ago, ebr said:

Didn't we already establish that this is the m2ts container?  The exact same video in an MKV should be fine.  We'll look into whether we can expand the exo support for m2ts.

Just providing feedback. 

CBers
9 minutes ago, ebr said:

CBers, did you have the direct play ts option enabled in the app when you ran that test?

No. 

jrwalte

I have tried the direct play ts option and it will still transcode TrueHD.

I'll need to figure out how to mux m2ts to mkv and try that.

CBers
45 minutes ago, ebr said:

Can you try again with that option enabled?

Still remuxed the audio. 

16:16:37.659 Stream mapping:
16:16:37.659   Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
16:16:37.659   Stream #0:2 -> #0:1 (truehd (native) -> ac3 (native))

Emby_20201215_161750.thumb.png.1781367bee8e1b750cb7d0aa69ecdc5a.png

Direct Play error though. 

ffmpeg-remux-ba00776e-9eaf-488b-8a81-b26467f0cfd3_1.txt

CBers
9 minutes ago, ebr said:

Okay, cause that direct play error and then send the log from that.  Thx.

Done, user=Master.

Unfortunately, the error rolled off in your logs.  I'll have to see if I can reproduce but I suspect this is a limitation of that container in Exo.