Emby on Android TV in RTL mode is useless

damagedspline

damagedspline

My Android TV language is set to a right to left language. Because of this all of the UI alignments in the Android TV Emby app are messed up so much that some menu entries and titles are either inaccessible because they are off screen or become invisible as the are underneath another screen element. Any ideas how to overcome this?

Hi.  Yes, please provide some specific examples as we have addressed the ones we know about to date.  If you can provide areas where there are still problems, we can address them.

Thanks!

damagedspline

1) Home -> latest tv show = all items are invisible except for the new episodes count marker

2) Movies menu = hidden items

3) TV shows = hidden items

4) Tab titlebar (top of the screen - see the Movies menu photo) search and settings are overlapping

IMG_20201211_213724.jpg

IMG_20201211_213812.jpg

IMG_20201211_213912.jpg

Hi.  The "hidden" items are due to your display settings.  On the device, you need to adjust the overscan settings so that the entire screen is visible.

What version of the app are you running?

damagedspline
5 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  The "hidden" items are due to your display settings.  On the device, you need to adjust the overscan settings so that the entire screen is visible.

What version of the app are you running?

Version 1.8.54g, 4.5.1.0 

Tried with both overscan and underscan, either being set in the TV menu or the Android TV settings - nope.

Just to make sure I explained myself correctly, the "hidden" items are the blank spaces that are in between the visible items on screen. When I switch the Android TV language to English, the screen does not have such blank places and instead of them I can see items which are missing here.

11 hours ago, damagedspline said:

Tried with both overscan and underscan, either being set in the TV menu or the Android TV settings - nope

Hi.  What do you mean by "nope"?  Those settings are the only way to solve the fact that the toolbar on the left is almost completely off the screen.

11 hours ago, damagedspline said:

Just to make sure I explained myself correctly, the "hidden" items are the blank spaces that are in between the visible items on screen.

Can you focus on those blank items?

damagedspline
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  What do you mean by "nope"?  Those settings are the only way to solve the fact that the toolbar on the left is almost completely off the screen.

No, it was missing also for 100% scaling & when underscan

1 hour ago, ebr said:

Can you focus on those blank items?

Yes, in both screen captures the highlighted item is a blank spot with real item behind it. If i click to enter the item it will indeed enter, but as you can see there is no highlighted border in blank spots.

Edited by damagedspline
Typo in uou

1 hour ago, damagedspline said:

No, it was missing also for 100% scaling & when underscan

Then there is some other setting on either the TV or device running the app because the image being shown is not the entire screen.

1 hour ago, damagedspline said:

but as you can see there is no highlighted border in blank spots.

I cannot see that as I'm not sure where focus is when you took that picture.   If you change languages to English, do those images show up?  Also, do you have the option to show a focus rectangle enabled in the app?

damagedspline
13 minutes ago, ebr said:

I cannot see that as I'm not sure where focus is when you took that picture.   If you change languages to English, do those images show up?  Also, do you have the option to show a focus rectangle enabled in the app?

In the movies screen capture for example, the focus is on second row and second column from the right.

The highlighted border is visible if I move to the visible items like on the right or the left of where the focus is.

If I change the entire OS language to English, all of the items are visible without blank spots .

Regarding the top bar which has overlapping items, it is less critical as my kids will hardly access it. I will see if it is resolution related as well (currently set to 1080p).

Edited by damagedspline
Rephrase

Is there anything about the images that don't show up that is common among them and different from the ones that do show?  Like their size or format, etc.?

damagedspline
Just now, ebr said:

Is there anything about the images that don't show up that is common among them and different from the ones that do show?  Like their size or format, etc.?

The only difference I make is the language of the OS. Fonts, theme, etc... are the default in both Android TV and the default of Emby TV.

Hi. I mean the different items in your screenshot.  If you look at details for one item that doesn't show properly what is different from one that does?

damagedspline
9 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi. I mean the different items in your screenshot.  If you look at details for one item that doesn't show properly what is different from one that does?

I tried to find the logic of what might cause the item to overlap by another or some rendering issue but couldn't find one. I am not sure which API you are using for GUI layout and the type of grid item alignment.

It is not the length of the title's name because in the same capture you can see longer and shorter title names (translated). It is not the thumbnail size because it appear correctly when I switch the language and there is a placeholder for items which have not been detected.

Are the thumbnails cached locally or always fetched from the server? If the url is not properly encoded or decoded (%... Hex values) then maybe there is an error fetching the thumbnails and a hidden UI exception occurs which in turn don't render the item. As you can see, the title names are translated because the Emby users is defined to use a different language for title names. Maybe the title names are used instead of title ids for thumbnail caching... I don't know, all I do is guess work.

Edited by damagedspline

9 hours ago, damagedspline said:

It is not the thumbnail size because it appear correctly when I switch the language and there is a placeholder for items which have not been detected.

Can you look at the actual image files for the items to see if anything is different about them?

damagedspline
5 hours ago, ebr said:

Can you look at the actual image files for the items to see if anything is different about them?

Actual images are the same.

Found the logic that caused the items to disappear in both movies and tv shows screen: watched marker. Only unwatched items are visible, when i mark them as watched they become blank spots and vice versa. This does not make any sense because it works fine when the OS language is set to English. Please investigate that lead.

I am still trying to figure out why the latest tv shows entries in the home screen are blank spots.

Attached is the same screen as in the first post but i marked the item as unwatched.

16078868501776806294642011509799.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I (still) have the same problems, latest tv shows on the the main screen and all tv shows screen contain no items (only blank images).

My previous images are still relevant: 

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/89861-error-in-mi-box-s-using-hebrew-language/

17 hours ago, moshew said:

Hi,

I (still) have the same problems, latest tv shows on the the main screen and all tv shows screen contain no items (only blank images).

My previous images are still relevant: 

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/89861-error-in-mi-box-s-using-hebrew-language/

Can you please try side-loading the latest beta version to test?

Still no change in .63?

One thing I notice - that will not have an impact on this issue but will be an issue - is that you need to update your Emby Server.