Launch an app from Emby

LiquidFX

LiquidFX

I would like be able to launch an app from a shortcut from the Emby home screen. Being able to launch Steam or Spotify would be nice. It would be even better if you could assign a specific button on the remote to refocus to Emby.

• Like 1

Somewhere that I cannot find right now there is a very old FR for this.  The short of it is that it would only be possible on some platforms with some applications, etc.

Possibility but complicated...

LiquidFX

I know that we had that option long ago and I would use it to launch Steam. Would there be a way to create the shortcut using the file path, similar to using Gamebrowser to launch games? @ebr

We will keep this FR here for feedback but, in all honesty, I just cannot see this happening any time soon.  The complexity of not only the implementation but also the configuration and usage just far outweighs the benefits at this time IMO.

ginjaninja

not quite the simplicity that the op wants, but could there be a half way house with the @Lukewebhook events discussion.

Ie create an event of type "external launch" with metadata being the set of file names, pathnames etc. This way the users script could handle it if emby could parse the event to it.

have often thought i would like to send an albums worth of files in emby to mp3tag.exe

Edited by ginjaninja

1 hour ago, ginjaninja said:

Ie create an event of type "external launch" with metadata being the set of file names, pathnames etc. This way the users script could handle it if emby could parse the event to it.

How would that work across the entire platform?

ginjaninja

luke hinted that events/webhooks might get an overhaul in the scripterX thread.

maybe the devs could create customevent1 and develop the server/ui to allow the user to fire customevent1 either from command menu or associate the custom event to new type of library that did nothing other than have a custom event associated to it and a image.

the webhook engine or scripterX plugin could detect the event and  then a script could do something with this.eg launch an app.

in terms of "work across entire platform" it would be limited to what a script on a server could do. but the support responsibility of various platforms would be abstracted away from emby dev team into the hands of the scripter/scripting engine. Powershell has been shown to have broad platform support as an example.

if the custom event supported rich event metadata, sensitive to the database objects is was fired from (eg filenames/pathnames, + ?), then the development effort to provide the custom event could be amplified into the possibilities of what scripters could do with that event metadata.

if the event metadata included the client / user / object type that initiated the event, then a server script could in theory do something to a client as well (up to the limits of the scripting engine).

i guess i saw your 

On 09/12/2020 at 21:27, ebr said:

The complexity of not only the implementation but also the configuration and usage just far outweighs the benefits

and thought (without any expertise for sure 🙂 ), if emby team could provide the event, the scripter could not only do the rest but also that 'rest' could be alot of useful things (limited only by the event metadata and the scripting engine)

1 hour ago, ginjaninja said:

it would be limited to what a script on a server could do

I don't think a script on a server can launch an arbitrary app on another platform.  Not very many of them anyway.  Again, the complexity of this I think far outweighs its benefit at this time.  But who knows what may be possible in the future.