Android TV Client - Emby Home Screen Loses Settings

EmbyKiwi

EmbyKiwi

My main client for watching Emby is an el-cheapo TCL 65" 4K TV which is running ATV (not Roku). Occasionally, you will go into it and the Home Screen will have randomly changed... eg. "My Media" has disappeared and been replaced by another instance of "Now Watching" or some other item. It is easy enough to go into settings and change it back but it does cause my wife some consternation.  🙂 

I am running Version 1.8.54g of the Emby client which appears to be the latest as no updates are available. Is this something that anyone else is seeing? 

EmbyKiwi

Hi Luke

Yes. I have a number of users on the server, but I am only ever logged in to the TV with the same user login.

Hi.  Does anyone else log in anywhere with that user?  Those settings are shared across all devices and apps for a given user.  It sounds like someone is changing them...

EmbyKiwi

Hi ebr

I also connect with that login via the web app and, very occasionally on Emby Theatre. I've just had a look at the 'Home Screen' settings on the web app and noticed that, despite it showing "My Media" on the home screen, the settings don't show it and are showing a duplicate  of Next Up.! 🙂 (See below)

Suggests something is clashing between the two. Perhaps I should create an 'Admin' user for the web app and leave my personal login just on the TV?

image.png.fb32973ef55e75ec9335ce054952ae20.png

EmbyKiwi

So...  I've had a play with jumping between the TV and the web client and setting Home Screen section 5 to "My Media"... and...  when I change it on one it definitely upsets the other. 

If, in the web app, I changed the 5th item from "Next Up" to " My Media" in the above screen shot, it displays correctly on the web app but when I go to the TV, this time it showed as "My Media (small)". When I went into Settings-> Home Screen on the TV, the 5th item was visually missing in that the cursor disappeared when I arrowed down to the 5th item, but if I pressed Enter on the remote, the options menu appeared and I could select "My Media" and item 5 re-appeared in the list of sections and the TV showed the correct things on the home page again.  

Coming back to the web app, the main screen appears OK (with My Media displaying) but if you look in Settings-> Home Screen, Section 5 is blank. If you correct it then you can go back around the loop! 🙂

It suggests that perhaps the value that is being written to the settings table is not consistent between the Android TV app and the web app somehow and the way each interprets the other's value is slightly different. 

Anyway, at least I know what is causing the change so I'll avoid making changes in the web app and, hopefully, the ATV app will stay happy!  🙂 

Thanks!

Perhaps I should create an 'Admin' user for the web app and leave my personal login just on the TV?

Hi, no, you shouldn't have to do this.

mackatini
9 hours ago, EmbyKiwi said:

So...  I've had a play with jumping between the TV and the web client and setting Home Screen section 5 to "My Media"... and...  when I change it on one it definitely upsets the other. 

If, in the web app, I changed the 5th item from "Next Up" to " My Media" in the above screen shot, it displays correctly on the web app but when I go to the TV, this time it showed as "My Media (small)". When I went into Settings-> Home Screen on the TV, the 5th item was visually missing in that the cursor disappeared when I arrowed down to the 5th item, but if I pressed Enter on the remote, the options menu appeared and I could select "My Media" and item 5 re-appeared in the list of sections and the TV showed the correct things on the home page again.  

Coming back to the web app, the main screen appears OK (with My Media displaying) but if you look in Settings-> Home Screen, Section 5 is blank. If you correct it then you can go back around the loop! 🙂

It suggests that perhaps the value that is being written to the settings table is not consistent between the Android TV app and the web app somehow and the way each interprets the other's value is slightly different. 

Anyway, at least I know what is causing the change so I'll avoid making changes in the web app and, hopefully, the ATV app will stay happy!  🙂 

Thanks!

I have exactly the same issue.. Quite annoying. I've been hoping recent updates would have sorted this out, but no luck yet.

mackatini
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  What version of the server are you running?

Latest. Version 4.5.3.0 and latest available Android TV app from the playstore.

mackatini

For what it's worth, I've enabled debug on the TV app and recreated the issue. I don't know if it will report an error or not, but to demonstrate what happens, see images below.

Here, the layout is correct.

458384963_Normallayout.thumb.jpg.96acfdb2daf775a219f44e8603df9ef1.jpg

After logging into the web with the same user and going into the home screen section and adjusting anything, even the library order, it causes the home screen rows to corrupt as you can see below.

1203041647_IncorrectLayout.thumb.jpg.cb160419148d65fe5ebca38e67e89c85.jpg

Also, I've noticed the TV app has quite a few UI limitations. You modify the library order from the TV app, only the web app, but maybe that should be a feature request rather than a bug report. :)

mackatini
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi. Did you actually send the log after doing that?

Excuse the noob question, but on the TV app, apart from enabling debugging, how do I access and send the log?

EmbyKiwi

Hi @ebr

I'm on 4.5.3 of the server as well but it was happening with earlier versions also. Now that I know the cause this is very repeatable. I'm trying to get the log from the app as requested as per the instructions ...

Unfortunately it didn't seem to give me a chance to edit the file and add any extra info into it so you will probably get something sent to you with no context. Sorry about that. I'm not even sure if that session had had the bug because I've been mucking around trying to find the various settings. I'll reproduce the bug again and send the logs. The last file was sent around 2:33/2:34 EST and the user was David.

EmbyKiwi

@ebr

I've just created a log from the Android TV app where I'm sure the problem occurred in that session.  Time was 14:37 EST and user was again David.

Edit: NB Date is 9th of Dec 2020 here in NZ but 8th Dec 2020 EST so not sure which will show in logs.

Edited by EmbyKiwi

42 minutes ago, mackatini said:

Excuse the noob question, but on the TV app, apart from enabling debugging, how do I access and send the log?

Instructions were in that same document:

Emby for Android TV/Fire TV and Emby for Roku Logs

These apps have the option to send an app log to us electronically.  You enter the settings page and turn on the "Debug Options".  Now there will be a new tile on your home page settings row (or menu option on the user menu at the top) labelled "Send Log".  Reproduce your problem and then use this button to send the log.  Then add the following information to your report in the forum:

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
  • The time you sent the log (in Eastern Time please - UTC -5)
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

Thanks.

16 minutes ago, EmbyKiwi said:

@ebr

I've just created a log from the Android TV app where I'm sure the problem occurred in that session.  Time was 14:37 EST and user was again David.

Edit: NB Date is 9th of Dec 2020 here in NZ but 8th Dec 2020 EST so not sure which will show in logs.

And exactly what was the problem that happened?

EmbyKiwi
4 minutes ago, ebr said:

And exactly what was the problem that happened?

Hi @ebr

Problem is as described above in https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/92721-android-tv-client-emby-home-screen-loses-settings/&tab=comments#comment-957576 

"So...  I've had a play with jumping between the TV and the web client and setting Home Screen section 5 to "My Media"... and...  when I change it on one it definitely upsets the other. 

Coming back to the web app, the main screen appears OK (with My Media displaying) but if you look in Settings-> Home Screen, Section 5 is blank. If you correct it then you can go back around the loop! 

It suggests that perhaps the value that is being written to the settings table is not consistent between the Android TV app and the web app somehow and the way each interprets the other's value is slightly different." 

Sorry... I'm sure you are looking at 127 different things at a time so should have clarified which thread this related to! 🙂

Cheers

32 minutes ago, EmbyKiwi said:

Sorry... I'm sure you are looking at 127 different things at a time so should have clarified which thread this related to! 🙂

Its only 126 right now but thank you for the clarification ;).  I think we have tracked down the issue.  Thanks for the logs.

EmbyKiwi
15 minutes ago, ebr said:

Its only 126 right now but thank you for the clarification ;).  I think we have tracked down the issue.  Thanks for the logs.

Awesome! 🙂 

And good luck with the other 126 as well!!