Questions about top level Trailers tab and trailer pre-roll in the web app and other apps

roaku

So, I have local trailers set up by way of folder naming conventions.

I do not currently have Emby Premiere, but will, probably starting next month.

Local trailers play before movies start in the web app and Android app, but not the Roku app.

I also have this Trailers tab in all the apps I use:

trailer-tab.thumb.png.471c86880ea91100f2682fe46e3f7b17.png

But, none of my local trailers ever show up there. And I don't want to install the Trailer plugin because all the content on my server originates with me and I want to keep it that way.

So, my questions are:

• Can I make this Trailers tab work with my local trailers?
  • Can I make this Trailers tab disappear (and I wouldn't want to do it with CSS overriding)?
  • Does or will the Roku app support trailer pre-rolling?

Thanks to anyone who can help clear this up for me.

Happy2Play

The trailers tab has never worked for showing local trailers.

No you can not use css to remove tabs as all there is is a index number and each section/content type has a different a different number.  So removing Trailers from Movies removes Upcoming from TV and Album Artist from Music since there is no pageids for each content type.

Is the setting enabled on Emby for Roku?

22 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

The trailers tab has never worked for showing local trailers.

No you can not use css to remove tabs as all there is is a index number and each section/content type has a different a different number.  So removing Trailers from Movies removes Upcoming from TV and Album Artist from Music since there is no pageids for each content type.

Is the setting enabled on Emby for Roku?

Well, I have a bunch of local trailers ready to go if this tab ever wants to use them.

Is there really no way to hide this plugin exclusive tab? And as I said, I wouldn't want to hack it with the CSS override anyway. It just shouldn't be there because I don't have the plugin and I don't have any of its trailers.

For Roku, I do have Cinema Intros enabled, but I can't find anything about enabling Trailers. I guess Cinema Intros is how Trailers are played before movies?

The Cinema Intros setting mentions that it requires Premiere, so I guess I have my answer for that one, too.

Happy2Play

Personally I don't use intros but only Internet trailers/trailers plugin should apply to premiere.  So if other clients use local trailers for cinema intros and the Roku doesn't then there is a defect in the Roku.

To me the trailers tab is a outstanding defect as it should apply to local trailers also.

4 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Personally I don't use intros but only Internet trailers/trailers plugin should apply to premiere.  So if other clients use local trailers for cinema intros and the Roku doesn't then there is a defect in the Roku.

The Roku app has a specific message saying Cinema Intros is a Premiere feature (for it at least).

To me the trailers tab is a outstanding defect as it should apply to local trailers also.

Ya, I'd like to have it be useful for my case (local trailers) or invisible.

Happy2Play

@ebr@speechles Why would Cinema Intros be a premiere feature on the Roku but no where else?  My understanding is Internet trailers/Trailers plugin requires prremiere.

Emby Premiere Features list Cinema mode but I have no issue using Cinema mode with the web client with local trailers and no premiere key

Edited by Happy2Play

Local trailers DO NOT need premiere to work on the Roku. You can have a trailers button without it. But to have trailers play before media automatically requires the Cinema Intros plugin. To get this plugin to work in the Roku app we require premiere. The Cinema Intros on Roku has always required premiere. The TV applications are different than the web client.

Are Cinema Intros also a Premiere feature on Android TV and Apple TV? That is what the Roku is following in this. Whatever the TV apps do.

The Roku app does allow free playback where other TV apps may not. This is because the Roku app has always been that way. That is a perk of the Roku platform and I believe Apple TV has this same perk. Be grateful. This perk is not advertised often.

Edited by speechles

Happy2Play
32 minutes ago, speechles said:

But to have trailers play before media automatically requires the Cinema Intros plugin. To get this plugin to work in the Roku app we require premiere.

The Cinema Intros plugin itself is not a Supporter plugin.  So intros are free on the web client but not the Roku?  It is really getting hard to understand if everything is free on a browser and not in any clients.

@roaku are you saying a unlocked Android app works?  If so it should technically fail also as it would be a Premiere feature not a unlock feature.

Cinema Intros works* without Premiere on my Android phone, which I assume is a different app than Android TV.

*Works is defined as my local trailers play back before movies start.

Edited by roaku

Happy2Play
Just now, roaku said:

Cinema Intros works without Premiere on my Android phone, which I assume is a different app than Android TV.

I am guessing this is a old app that does not require unlock/premiere, correct?  But the matrix shows mobile apps IOS and Android require unlock/premiere.

2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

I am guessing this is a old app that does not require unlock/premiere, correct?  But the matrix shows mobile apps IOS and Android require unlock/premiere.

3.1.64, updated in November 2020.

Don't fix it. :)

Happy2Play

But going off the matrix you have to pay for Mobile Android so you paid to unlock the client correct?  So does Unlocking a client allow this feature? 

@ebris the matrix wrong as it shows Cinema Mode as a Premiere feature so it should fail in web client also correct?

Edited by Happy2Play

The app was free to install.

If I try to download a movie, I get the push to unlock Premiere.

And like I said,I don't know if what's happening on the Android app is Cinema Intros. I just know that local trailers play before movies.

Edited by roaku

Happy2Play

With additional testing Only online trailers do not work in Cinema mode as the trailers plugin requires premiere.  Tested in Web Client.

So is it a client defect if you select local trailers and it does not work? (personally have not tested on Roku though)

Happy2Play
Just now, roaku said:

The app was free to install.

If I try to download a movie, I get the push to unlock Premiere.

Should require unlock/premiere for playback also.

Mobile Apps (iOS and Android) Free App Unlock Premiere
Limited Playback (one-minute only)

Full Playback

Offline Media    
Live TV    

To be honest, I don't think I've ever watched anything longer than a minute on the Android app, so it might nag after that.

I just use it to browse libraries and manage the server.

I was only playing back to try to understand the local trailers on Roku behavior.

Happy2Play

Personally I would call it a defect if Roku is failing as local trailers do not require premiere only online trailers.  Or there is a defect in the web client allowing it, but only the devs can comment.

@Luke@ebr

The Roku does not discern what the plugin is giving it whether it be an Intro or an Trailer. It just makes a call to the plugin to fetch content if you have premiere.

Once again if this is different than the other TV apps let me know. The TV apps are entirely different as they utilize the 10 foot interface. The 4 major platform with this interface are: Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku. Those four should be doing similar with the Cinema Intro plugin.

Edited by speechles

Happy2Play

But since the web client acts differently there is a defect either in it or other clients.  TV should be irrelevant here.  So there is a options trigger here if one can do it and the other does not.

But if the mobile app is working is it defective?

On 12/7/2020 at 4:54 PM, Happy2Play said:

Emby Premiere Features list Cinema mode but I have no issue using Cinema mode with the web client with local trailers and no premiere key

If that is the case, then that is the defect.  One thing to remember is that your Premiere key/status is cached for a period of time.  So everything may not get disabled by just removing your key.

Cinema Intros (aka Cinema Mode) is a Premiere only feature.

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, ebr said:

But the plugin is not a Supporter plugin only trailers is.

Just now, Happy2Play said:

But the plugin is not a Supporter plugin only trailers is.

The plug-in is just a part of the system.  We have broken several features out into plug-ins just to make them easier to maintain and update.

4 minutes ago, ebr said:

If that is the case, then that is the defect.  One thing to remember is that your Premiere key/status is cached for a period of time.  So everything may not get disabled by just removing your key.

I haven't had Premiere at all yet, but I do plan to get it next month. My local trailers pre roll before my movies through the web app.

Edited by roaku

Happy2Play

Then disabling online trailers and setting local trailer works when it should not.