Want to Roll Back Server to 4.5.2

Sammy

daldana

Does CC work in a Direct Stream environment? The reason I ask is that I also was getting Live TV transcoded in my LAN after upgrading to 4.5.3. After messing around I found that if I unchecked  "Allow video playback that requires transcoding" in my User settings, it changed the delivery method to Direct Streaming instead of Transcoding.

I have no idea if this helps at all.

3 hours ago, Sammy said:

Yes. CC's work using direct stream but one then loses time shifting in LiveTV. 

Actually, if you did what dldna suggested, it would probably work but that obviously would break a lot of other things.

daldana

Sammy,

I'm still able to pause and skip back using direct stream.

Ebr,

I'm not sure what you mean by "break a lot of other things". I can watch Live TV, Recorded TV, and my Movies without any problems so far, so would you expand on what might be broken or what I might not be able to do? Thanks.

Just now, daldana said:

Sammy,

Ebr,

I'm not sure what you mean by "break a lot of other things". I can watch Live TV, Recorded TV, and my Movies without any problems so far, so would you expand on what might be broken or what I might not be able to do? Thanks.

Let's say you have an HEVC file or something and your client doesn't support it you'd need to transcode on the server to watch it on the client.

• Like 1

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, daldana said:

Sammy,

Ebr,

There are situations where disabling these option will prevent the media from being playable.  If disabling these option and item is still playable would suggest to me a bitrate issue with Auto and increasing client quality option would provide the same results with the settings still enabled (except this Live TV change.)

Happy2Play
Just now, daldana said:

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I only use that User profile locally and all my movies are mkvs.

But mkv not enough information as there could be any codec in a mkv container and depending on the codec and bitrate will determine playback.

• Like 1

daldana

Regular DVD rips or mp4 conversions is mostly what I have, but I do have a couple of Blu-ray rips so I'll try those later to see if they play.

Do you mean local as in intranet or locals directly on the PC that is displaying the content?

Some of us, like me, have 4k HEVC rips that only play on a few of our clients. The rest of our clients require a transcoded stream (although it is washed out, @Luke, waiting for a fix). Not allowing transcoding on the server will break things.

• Like 1

Happy2Play
Just now, daldana said:

Regular DVD rips or mp4 conversions is mostly what I have, but I do have a couple of Blu-ray rips so I'll try those later to see if they play.

You have to worry more about codecs not containers.  As mentioned above say HEVC will not play at all in most browsers with the options disabled as it will require transcoding.  So there are many variables that are client/app specific here.

daldana

LAN. Using a PC as a server with three TVs (one Shield, two Fire TV sticks) connected to it. The Shield is our primary TV.

Didn't mean to hijack thread, just was trying to give a workaround for Live TV with CC.

Just now, daldana said:

LAN. Using a PC as a server with three TVs (one Shield, two Fire TV sticks) connected to it. The Shield is our primary TV.

Didn't mean to hijack thread, just was trying to give a workaround for Live TV with CC.

You may have an issue with the FireTV Sticks if you ever push 4k HEVC at them..

Don't worry about the hijack, your suggestion works in a lot of cases..

Can I prevent the server from automatically updating?

Right now I have it on v.4.5.2.0 but it is begging to to go to v.4.5.3.0.

image.thumb.png.24fc61d7090c3a88248e8c516e4f30d1.png

I'm thinking I need to delete this folder:

image.thumb.png.306d4239a900bb6839fa6912656273c7.png

Then turn off updates here:

image.thumb.png.58d316b9890cb06d6e68799b7dce8291.png

Edited by Sammy

• 4 weeks later...

@Luke

Any update on the fix for this? I'm still on 4.5.2.0 until it is fixed and I cannot run the beta server either which will be put out to test detecting episode intros but still brakes CC's in LiveTV.

On 12/7/2020 at 6:29 AM, ebr said:

That won't make a difference.  This is a change by the server.

Anything fixed server side yet?

• 2 weeks later...
clarkss12

Closed captions AND FF/RW and pause rare working now for me, using the latest beta.

Edit: I guess I need to qualify my statement above, this appears to only work if the transcoding setting is disabled.........  Strange.  I am running 3 different Windows based servers, and the servers that have transcoding enabled, the CC and pause/play do not work...

Edited by clarkss12
correcting statement

22 minutes ago, clarkss12 said:

Closed captions AND FF/RW and pause rare working now for me, using the latest beta.

Edit: I guess I need to qualify my statement above, this appears to only work if the transcoding setting is disabled.........  Strange.  I am running 3 different Windows based servers, and the servers that have transcoding enabled, the CC and pause/play do not work...

Can you clarify? The latest 4.6.x.x beta has CC and time shift working for LiveTV but only if Transcoding is disabled? Where are you disabling it? I don't really like to run the beta server for everyday use.

1 minute ago, Sammy said:

The latest 4.6.x.x beta has CC and time shift working for LiveTV but only if Transcoding is disabled? Where are you disabling it? I don't really like to run the beta server for everyday use.

I don't think there is anything in the current beta affecting this so the same behavior (when disabling transcoding) would be achievable in 4.5.4 - with the obvious drawbacks.

What he's saying is  4.5.2.0 allows playback without transcoding but newer version force transcoding of Interlaced content.  The clients can deinterlace and do not need it transcoded which robs the stream of CC and degrades picture quality.

Edited by cayars
  • Thanks 1

clarkss12

While testing my newest miniPC based on a Ryzen CPU, the GPU was not powerful enough to transcode.  But, by disabling the transcoding, the CPU was able to transcode without issues.

I was shocked to see closed captions AND pause/play working, never suspected that the disabling the transcoding was the cause of this issue. 

1854694973_notranscoding.thumb.jpg.d3f43103e3db253dc19dc66f4a096045.jpg20210125_145420.thumb.jpg.3a6c13270cf9f5251de3c5e3c974e376.jpgtranscoding.thumb.jpg.2c79cbd1b36b8139c8f9920d4256f67f.jpg