Playback Quality - Auto Setting

Erik
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

Hi,

I was trying to play a 4K file for the first time (on a TCL Roku TV) and was getting very long loading times (1-2minutes) but the file did finally play (transcoded). However, seeking and resuming seemed to freeze the app and had to exit with the home button.

I did notice in the “stats for nerds” that the maximum bitrate was being limited to “auto - 35 Mb/s) so I went and changed the setting to 110 Mb/s manually and the file now started playback at a normal speed and direct played instead of transcoding/streaming as the file bitrate was 43Mb/s.

Is there a reason the auto limited the playback to 35 Mb/s? The TV is wired to the switch so no throughput issues or anything, so I couldn’t figure out why it chose that maximum bitrate.

Thanks

• Solution
Happy2Play

Roku doesn't even recommend bitrates over 25Mbps.

Roku recommends HEVC for UHD encodings. Roku 4K devices support HEVC up to level 5.1 and bitrates up to 25Mbps.

and x265

Up to 40Mbps

Streaming specifications | Roku Developer

That is why Emby offers additional rates to use.  But Emby usually uses documented limit on most settings.

• Like 1

I would have hoped Roku would give the specs by device, but I'm going to assume those limitations are tailored for the lowest capable hardware. Only because the Roku Ultra and Roku TV that I have flawlessly playback at much higher bitrates (50 Mb/s+ on some movies I tested).

However, I get that Emby keeps it within the recommended specs and very much appreciate that I have the option to override default values as they work in my setup.

Thanks @Happy2Play