LGOLED65E7V app won’t playback 7.1 atmos to AV receiver

Pgjscottie

Pgjscottie

Hi i am new to emby downloaded the server to my Netgear nas signed into emby on LGOLED65E7V smart tv all very nice untill it cam to playback it is only playing back 5.1 it recognises the movie is 4k with 7.1 but will not play it the TV is connected to the AV receiver by HDMI arc cable any ideas please

Pgjscottie

Hi i find your solution very unhelpful i have looked through the section that you pointed me to but can not see anything there where someone has mention 

issues with 7.1 passthrough issues if its not a simple not possible would have been more informative

iI have been using Plex for years as PMP is not being updated anymore was looking for a replacement for my home cinema movie collection playback

As your TV app doesn’t seem able to achieve a 7.1 or full atmos sound track Emby will be of no use to me i did try installing a server on my htpc which is connected to my AV receiver and playing it that way but it only passed stereo and 4k movies froze this is all on a hard wired network 

It will be interesting to see if anyone can shine a light on this for me before the month long subsription runs out perhaps Kodi would do a better job?

Hi, Luke was raising this to my attention to to give you some assistance, but you got in before me.

As you have identified, it is not possible to play (or pass-through) TrueHD from the TV to an ATMOS receiver.  To provide more clarity, this is not directly a limitation of Emby, or something we can resolve.

TV's use the Audio Return Channel (ARC) of your HDMI port to send audio from the TV to the receiver.  Unfortunately the ARC has limited bandwidth and cannot handle the high bitrates of lossless audio such as TrueHD/ATMOS.

While the latest version of ARC, known as enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC) can handle these bitrates, it is only supported on LG's more recent models and unfortunately LG has not made it possible for 3rd party applications to utilise this for TrueHD or ATMOS support.

Therefore, as you will come to realise, this is a TV hardware limitation that will affect all applications, including Kodi.  This is not just an LG TV problem.  The only hardware that I am aware of that will allow you to make use of the original TrueHD/ATMOS audio track is nVidia shield (pro version, don't buy the cheaper one as it has known limitations).  If you are interested in this path, there are many on this forum who can provide advice on the performance of ATMOS on nVidia shield with Emby.

Try posting in here if you have some questions Android TV / Fire TV - Emby Community

For more information on ATMOS playback , review this article.  Your question and issue is common and there is a lot of discussion in this LG forum related to ATMOS playback.

Why does the Emby App for my LG TV not play the Dolby Atmos TrueHD Audio without Transcoding? : Emby

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

Pgjscottie

Thank you for clearing this up i don’t normally use apps on the LGOLED i use a windows htpc connected directly to the AV receiver via HDMI then on to the TV

I tried the Emnby server on the HTPC but it played back a stereo signal and 4k UHD just froze did i get that all wrong or is it possible to use the Emby server in this way

Maybe HDMI out to the receiver, then the Receiver to the TV?  I've not tried it, but it will depend on the PC's codec support and capabilities.  I'm sure others have tried

Pgjscottie

That is how it is configured its worked beautifully with Plex for years but the Plex media player is no longer supported 

and so will at some point need replaceing hence i thought Emby was a good alternative