No DTS on Sony AndroidTV

EduardoSantos
Go to solution Solved by Siutsch,

raven-au
On 12/6/2020 at 4:45 AM, ebr said:

No, you would not be.

I think there are actually three cases.

1. Shield connected to receiver/soundbar.

Works fine if supported by receiver/soundbar, not relevant.

2. Shield connected to TV, TV supports ARC only.

Probably doesn't work for other than 2 channel audio, DTS passthrough hadn't worked for me in the past on the TV so I haven't really tested passing it through ARC.

It may have worked and may have stopped working. Basically, passing audio through the TV with ARC just wasn't versatile enough so I connect everything that needs to play DTS or better audio directly to the reciever/soundbar.

3. Shield connected to TV, TV supports eARC.

Works for all audio formats I have tried (Sony Andriod TV) including TrueHD Atmos and DTS:X even though apps on the TV itself still can't pass-through anything except Dolby Digital @ 448k. Actually, I haven't tried sending DTS from apps  over eARC for ages because it hadn't worked in the past so I add an extra Dolby Digital track @ 448k so I can also play then on the TV.

14 hours ago, raven-au said:

I think there are actually three cases.

1. Shield connected to receiver/soundbar.

Works fine if supported by receiver/soundbar, not relevant.

2. Shield connected to TV, TV supports ARC only.

Probably doesn't work for other than 2 channel audio, DTS passthrough hadn't worked for me in the past on the TV so I haven't really tested passing it through ARC.

It may have worked and may have stopped working. Basically, passing audio through the TV with ARC just wasn't versatile enough so I connect everything that needs to play DTS or better audio directly to the reciever/soundbar.

Works for all audio formats I have tried (Sony Andriod TV) including TrueHD Atmos and DTS:X even though apps on the TV itself still can't pass-through anything except Dolby Digital @ 448k. Actually, I haven't tried sending DTS from apps  over eARC for ages because it hadn't worked in the past so I add an extra Dolby Digital track @ 448k so I can also play then on the TV.

Absolutely right. I'm about to get a new TV with eARC... side-stepping the issue altogether. Sony or Google broke DTS passthrough over ARC as I can confirm it was working before. Emby can transcode DTS (and other formats) to AC3, so it can passthrough. The quality is quite good, I couldn't hear a difference.

raven-au
On 12/28/2020 at 9:46 AM, raven-au said:

Nit to myself.

That "can't pass-through anything except Dolby Digital @ 448k" should be "can't pass-through anything greater than Dolby Digital @ 448k".

It took me a while to realize this was why I was having trouble (long time ago now).

As far as I understand this is quite normal and some TVs only support up to 384k (rare I think).

HanzoX7

I'm really happy with the new TV (Sony XBR-55X905H), image quality blows away my previous XBR-55X805E. However, there's a big gotcha. Both my TV and amp support EARC, but TV internal apps can't passthrough any of the more advanced codecs. At least in my new TV, not even the "default" app can do it. I tested hooking my PS4 to the TV directly and playing a few blu-rays with DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD and it was able to passthrough to my amp with 0 issues. Several posts on Plex and Kodi forums seem to indicate a general issue, not isolated to a specific brand. 

There are some exceptions, like tracks encoded as Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos, (not the same as pure Atmos) work fairly good... Likely due streaming apps (Netflix, Amazon Video, Disney+) use this format.

The best way to handle passthrough audio is with an Nvidia Shield... or wait and see if EARC will ever open up for TV apps to passthrough and live up to its full potential.

Edited by HanzoX7

raven-au
On 1/3/2021 at 2:20 AM, HanzoX7 said:

There are some exceptions, like tracks encoded as Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos, (not the same as pure Atmos) work fairly good... Likely due streaming apps (Netflix, Amazon Video, Disney+) use this format.

The best way to handle passthrough audio is with an Nvidia Shield... or wait and see if EARC will ever open up for TV apps to passthrough and live up to its full potential.

I suspect this is deliberate on the part of the TV manufactures.

I also suspect that if it wasn't for such things as Blu-Ray players that people expect to connect to the TV and work we wouldn't see this passthru working at all.

• 1 year later...
SuperCurro

Nowdays the only way to do passthrough with Emby in a Sony TV is with VLC that finally works well. The only problem is that doesnt syncronize where you stop the movie. 

10 hours ago, SuperCurro said:

Nowdays the only way to do passthrough with Emby in a Sony TV is with VLC that finally works well. The only problem is that doesnt syncronize where you stop the movie. 

HI, why do you think that? The Emby android app supports passthrough without having to use VLC. 

SuperCurro

Sorry boss, I know it is in the feature list of the emby andoid app, but it doesnt work. Only the sony native player and the VLC woks. 

I spent quite a lot of time about this topic of the passthrough, perhaps I didnt find the right option in the emby APP but if it is somewhere I didnt ready anywhere (few hours looking in forums) how to configure emby to do the passthrough, cero messages about passthrough working in android tv or google tv and lot of messages about the passthrough doesnt work in emby. VLC didnt work a few month ago but now works perfectly, smooth in any scenario (like the emby app), works also with directplay (when you send the video through the mobile phone) etc. I really wish emby app to do the passthrough!.

I am doing something wrong?

IMG_20220807_075038.jpg

IMG_20220807_075150.jpg

IMG_20220807_075321.jpg

IMG_20220807_075429.jpg

IMG_20220807_075552.jpg

IMG_20220807_075926.jpg

IMG_20220807_080259.jpg

The Android system in the TV probably does not report support for DTS but that fact that your receiver is receiving Dolby is curious.  The TV must be converting it.  What are the audio settings on the TV Android system itself?  Have you tried playing with those?

SuperCurro

Of course, in fact is working well with Sony player and VLC. Of course passthrough when the source is an HDMI is not a problem. But other app like emby, MX player, etc doesn't work.

I tested all posible combinations and modes. 

You mean that the people confirmed that is working well with Sony and Android TV?

22 minutes ago, SuperCurro said:

You mean that the people confirmed that is working well with Sony and Android TV?

No, I'm not aware of any Android TVs that report support for DTS through the normal Android system.  This may be a licensing issue but that is just conjecture.

SuperCurro

I mean, does someone is doing DTS passthrough in a Sony TV with Android TV or Google TV using "EMBY". All the forums I read the people report only using the sony app player, but emby can not select this one for mkv, only mp4. One solution was just rename extensions.

In my test emby app doesnt make passthrough but the video is perfect for any type of file. VLC also perfect but with DTS, DTS-MA, Dolby etc passthrough, and sony app player ok with passthrough but some files with stops of 3-4 seconds... The only one running perfect is VLC (at least in my TV).

SuperCurro

I installed without problem. There is not an option to do passhthrough so, I just play... video no problem, audio only 2.0. 

I dont see any difference between one and the other, both can be used in the same way, both have autoframe but the normal version not sure why has the black levels in the movie wrong, instead of black was near black. So better use the emby for TV.

Can someone confirm that passthrough works in Emby app for Android or Google TV?

Regards.

16 hours ago, SuperCurro said:

Can someone confirm that passthrough works in Emby app for Android or Google TV?

22 hours ago, ebr said:

No, I'm not aware of any Android TVs that report support for DTS through the normal Android system

Our app is asking the Android system what is supported and I'm not aware of any TVs that report support for DTS.  The internal player on the TV is probably not running in Android and VLC is probably using some sort of technique to "force" the stream that will have a bad outcome if hooked up to something that doesn't support it.

SuperCurro

Well, the TV has support to do passthrough, no problem with HDMI and with sony player and VLC player, but it doesnt have DTS itself, (although it converts the DTS signal in stereo Dolby.) As far as I know there is not TV that support DTS by itself but just passthrough. How many TVs are DTS certified with DTS speakers??? it doesnt make sense.

The internal player is running in android, it is in the android APP list and you can tell to emby to use it for mp4 files as an external player. If you prefeer the sony player to the VLC you just have to rename the files from mkv to mp4.

Regards

Edited by SuperCurro

• 4 weeks later...
SuperCurro

You were right, something wrong with my computer (it was not the browser). I installed, it runs smooth (good player) but sound still stereo. No option to do passthrough so I could not test anything. I check the diferent audio options in the TV and just always stereo.

Any idea?

Regards

2 minutes ago, SuperCurro said:

You were right, something wrong with my computer (it was not the browser). I installed, it runs smooth (good player) but sound still stereo. No option to do passthrough so I could not test anything. I check the diferent audio options in the TV and just always stereo.

Any idea?

Regards

HI, passthrough is automatic. You don't need to enable anything.

SuperCurro

Then it doesnt work. But the video player works very well with any content, much better than sony player and even better than VLC player. The VLC player has problem with the subtitles. If passthrough would work then the emby player would be the best by far.